Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what the unemployment has to do with it anyway. It's not like a lot of cast members would be able to choose to stay on unemployment and get more money. If they're recalled to work, they have to go back, otherwise they lose their unemployment because it'll be as if they quit. If you quit you're ineligible for unemployment. The only exceptions are if you have the virus or are caring for somebody who does.
Totally right - but i think it was reported previously that CMs are being asked if they felt comfortable coming back yet and if they werent, they would be abled to stay furloughed. That happened some 200 pages ago right?

My thoughts as well. I mean, I have seen a few rumors in the past weeks of Universal hoping for June 1. Surely Disney isn't clueless.
I’m in this camp too. I don’t think any of these companies are operating in a bubble. I work for a manufacturing company with several other very large manufacturers in the area. I know our leadership team is meeting with other companies regularly on safety plans and reopening plans. I have a hard time believing that, while competitors, Disney was surprised this week. Add the mini rant about masks (eye roll) and this seems...off.

We’re also going to be living with this thing for awhile. Hopefully we can continue to keep hospitals from being overrun, but it’s not going away. I’m not sure what waiting until August gets you unless it’s DCP or something that’s the hold up. Disney is losing their shirt right now and need to stop the bleeding. I don’t think they’re going to rush but they started planning the reopen before they even closed. Yes, there is a lot to consider in reopening but they have been at this for a very long time.

I don’t know. This is a once in a life chance for Universal to be the only theme park open in Orlando. Something I thought I’d never say in my lifetime. Pandemic or not, Universal has wanted to upstage Disney for years

Sneaky Sneaky
It may work out for them too, not that we're special but this is my situation. My family has a June 27th to July 7th trip at the Fort. We've started talking about doing USO and maybe having AP to both WDW and USO, especially if we can do USO all of June and WDW is closed. USO passes for the three of us costing as much as one Disney ticket doesn't hurt either. Next week my vacation (well, staycation) plans get shored up either way. What a year to decide to stay in Florida for the summer.

I might have missed this, but the new rumor does add some weight to people's anger about why on earth Disney is still taking reservations if they hadn't been planning on opening until late August? I mean I could overlook a few weeks misplaced, but months? This is starting to look like a PR disaster for sure.

Not that I’m expecting you to answer for everyone, but I’ve wondered if opening the DVC resorts ASAP even without parks would be even worse. Wouldn’t the points issue still exist somewhat, as people who could cancel far enough in advance and not lose their points would do so, and others would be upset their options are either go on a vacation to a park-less WDW or lose their points as I would assume they would roll back the exceptions they’ve been making?

Feels like another no win. Sorry if this is too OT.

It would NOT be ideal at all and could make guests mad, bad pr, etc.........

BUT, having the resorts open would stop the point problem. They are already stopping people from borrowing points from their next Use year. Opening DVC resorts now would also stop a potential legal problem (we discuss all this in the DVC forums if you want to hop in and join the conversations)

It would NOT be ideal at all and could make guests mad, bad pr, etc.........

BUT, having the resorts open would stop the point problem. They are already stopping people from borrowing points from their next Use year. Opening DVC resorts now would also stop a potential legal problem (we discuss all this in the DVC forums if you want to hop in and join the conversations)
Minor clarification, they have added a temporary limitation so that people can't borrow more than 50% of the next use year's points.

I might have missed this, but the new rumor does add some weight to people's anger about why on earth Disney is still taking reservations if they hadn't been planning on opening until late August? I mean I could overlook a few weeks misplaced, but months? This is starting to look like a PR disaster for sure.
I think the August date was worse case scenario. I do think Disney didn't plan on opening til sometime in July, hence the not accepting reservations til July news.

I do think that what has gone with people at Disney Springs ignoring rules and walking around with drinks to avoid wearing masks does make an impact on opening descions. For some reason from most reports guests at CityWalk were better at following the social distancing rules.

I think the August date was worse case scenario. I do think Disney didn't plan on opening til sometime in July, hence the not accepting reservations til July news.

I do think that what has gone with people at Disney Springs ignoring rules and walking around with drinks to avoid wearing masks does make an impact on opening descions. For some reason from most reports guests at CityWalk were better at following the social distancing rules.

I know people don’t like this and strongly disagree with it but I think there are more people who feel entitled to be at Disney and will do what they want but don’t have that passion about Universal.

Or, here's an alternative - personal responsibility!

The parks and hotels are closed indefinitely. It says this in most places on Disney's websites. If you book or have a reservation during a global pandemic, you should be aware that your trip may be interrupted or affected in some way. If you're not okay with that, cancel your trip or don't book it in the first place. Maybe consider waiting until most states in the US are not still under safe-at-home orders before booking a vacation if you don't want uncertainty.

There are some that are okay with those uncertainty, and I don't think Disney should punish them by removing their ability to book a trip. Especially those that are looking to book out 6+ months down the road, when the resorts are significantly more likely to be open.
Spare me the personal responsibility part here. Disney has a responsibility to the customers they have took money from and their shareholders to at least let people know how long they are sure they will be closed for. Indefinitely was fine for a while, but we are past that now. Announce a date you know you will be closed until no matter what and state the situation may require the closure to be extended after that.

My trip isn’t until the end of September so what is happening right now isn’t impacting me, but I can only imagine if I had vacation booked starting in the last half of June and paid for it with gift cards before any of this started. Disney has been in procession of thousands of dollars of your money possibly for over year. You can say cancel, but that doesn’t get you your cash back. It goes back on the gift card. Those people deserve more certainty than indefinitely and that joke of update on their blog at this point.

It may work out for them too, not that we're special but this is my situation. My family has a June 27th to July 7th trip at the Fort. We've started talking about doing USO and maybe having AP to both WDW and USO, especially if we can do USO all of June and WDW is closed. USO passes for the three of us costing as much as one Disney ticket doesn't hurt either. Next week my vacation (well, staycation) plans get shored up either way. What a year to decide to stay in Florida for the summer.
This is basically what happened with us. Disney canceled our 3rd scheduled trip in as many months last week. We then heard UO would be open and we've switched everything to that instead. We haven't been to UO in almost 2 decades, but at this point we just want to go and we all have the time off, flights etc. I know we'll be back to Disney, but UO will get our money this trip, even though it was planned to be Disneys.

I think it’s pretty evident that Disney was not planning on June 1st or even anything close to that. I don’t buy August 31st either though. I think Disney was prepping for mid-late June at the earliest and now that universal is opening earlier they aren’t going to want to let them get all the market share and that the government approved their plan so quickly they may be revising their plans. Disney is watching what universal is doing very closely.

I agree. It may not be fair, but if Universal and Disney open with dates close to each other, and there is a virus spike, the headlines will be all over Disney and how they opened too soon, and you MIGHT get the word Universal mentioned somewhere near the end of the article. Maybe. So I would not blame them for wanting to open after UO.

I think it actually works to Disney’s benefit if they set their date for about three weeks after Universal’s open, but I do think they should announce the date soon. Three weeks after Universal gives enough time to see if there is an immediate spike due to opening (covers the incubation period), and a cushion for them to say “Due to the spike in cases traced to tourism in Orlando, we are adjusting our date . . .”. Hopefully they wouldn’t have to make any additional adjustments but we don’t know yet. There is a big difference in how people behave at Citywalk or DS and how they behave in the parks, so I am not sure opening those venues will be an adequate test for the parks.

I really don’t think Disney has to worry about Universal stealing all their business if they delay a few weeks. Although they are both fine parks, they are different. I am not a fan of Universal but love Disney, and people I know who are fans of Universal aren’t very fond of Disney. There might be one or two who like both, but it tends to be more one or the other. I think there are enough people to go around.

I know people don’t like this and strongly disagree with it but I think there are more people who feel entitled to be at Disney and will do what they want but don’t have that passion about Universal.
One of the reasons I had hoped Disney would not require masks. They are good at many things but playing hardball with guests is not one of them. They were never going to enforce this.
As an aside - I finally broke out of the house today and went to Costco. I saw no one without their masks on. No one was falling in the floor crying about it. It was amazing.

I just have to ask I thought the Govenor said Disney was far ahead of the curve in regards to opening. What happened to that?

I mean it is just a rumour.

But also I think everyone in government in the state of Florida has a vested interest in Disney opening up ASAP and Disney seems to be holding themselves back, so I take all that with a grain of salt. Some of it seems like pressure.

This is basically what happened with us. Disney canceled our 3rd scheduled trip in as many months last week. We then heard UO would be open and we've switched everything to that instead. We haven't been to UO in almost 2 decades, but at this point we just want to go and we all have the time off, flights etc. I know we'll be back to Disney, but UO will get our money this trip, even though it was planned to be Disneys.
Yeah, I don't want to have AP to both because I feel like you're automatically underutilizing one any given weekend, but I have a huge family planning on being here June 27th so my family committed to staying in Florida all summer. If Disney doesn't say anything or says July or later, I guess I'm going to be a dual AP. Just going all of June rather than sitting around my house trying to figure out what yard work I missed these last two months would be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!