Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually shared this on another thread going. I'm so torn on how it reads. If they're going to try and do this while everything is still going on, I think it'll sink them. It will come across as the ultimate act of selfishness and greed, and many will turn their backs on them during a time like this. However, if this is how they plan to re-open once things start slowing down, hopefully this summer, that's completely different. It's just not clear in the article what they're thinking. Regardless, I honestly don't see this working. Locals might come for this, but anyone who has to travel any amount of distance, isn't going to put the time and money into visiting Disney when it's fractionally operating, unless they're offering tickets at a fraction of the price. I just really don't see how they would make enough revenue to support this model.

I don't think anyone would turn their back on them.

I think in two months (less actually) people are going to be climbing walls and desperate to get some sense of normalcy. Provided Disney does it in a as safe (?) a way as possible, people will flock in droves, even to a limited opening.

Especially after being locked in. If people have the means when this is over the first thing they’ll want to do is get out and enjoy life again.
Damn straight. As someone else mentioned somewhere on these boards, it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things, our summer Disney trip, but to my 2 kids, it's the 1 thing they don't want to miss due to this. If this is over in time for our July 1 departure, we are so there.

Again (sorry) disagree. People aren't going to wait a possible 18 months for a vaccine before they travel, even to crowded places.

We certainly won't.

I think there are many people who will hold off. We are DVC and go to WDW every year. We will not go to WDW until coronavirus is suppressed (unlikely) or until there is a vaccine. There are so many families with immunosuppressed individuals who will choose not to go. Of course, there will be people who jump to go the second they can. We reliably go every year and will not until this situation is stabilized for a few different reasons (not financial).

We will definitely be banking our 20/21 DVC points and plan to travel in 2022 instead of 2021 (when we normally would.) Hopefully controlled by then. We see vacationing as very unlikely for us for the next 18 months. I am also related to a public health researcher/expert who is on the front lines of this. I take her guidance very seriously.

I think there are many people who will hold off. We are DVC and go to WDW every year. We will not go to WDW until coronavirus is suppressed (unlikely) or until there is a vaccine. There are so many families with immunosuppressed individuals who will choose not to go. Of course, there will be people who jump to go the second they can. We reliably go every year and will not until this situation is stabilized.

We will definitely be banking our 20/21 DVC points and plan to travel in 2022 instead of 2021 (when we normally would.) Hopefully controlled by then. We see vacationing as very unlikely for us for the next 18 months. I am also related to a public health researcher/expert who is on the front lines of this. I take her guidance very seriously.

Most people arent like you, or majority on this board.
Most people dont go often, if at all.
People will travel. Most people will not wait 18 months to travel.

Again (sorry) disagree. People aren't going to wait a possible 18 months for a vaccine before they travel, even to crowded places.

We certainly won't.

I agree people won't wait 18 months but if they try this april 1 it would be a disaster in the press. Now, once cases stop dropping and it looks like things are under control even if the virus is still out there then this works.

This kind of plan CAN work but they can't do this too soon. I still think this is a may plan at best.

I agree people won't wait 18 months but if they try this april 1 it would be a disaster in the press. Now, once cases stop dropping and it looks like things are under control even if the virus is still out there then this works.

This kind of plan CAN work but they can't do this too soon. I still think this is a may plan at best.

Agree 4/1 would be too soon.

Most people arent like you, or majority on this board.
Most people dont go often, if at all.
People will travel. Most people will not wait 18 months to travel.

There are so many factors of this that are unpredictable. The trajectory and perspective on this has changed entirely in 7 days.

I don’t think a blanket statement that “people won’t wait” can be made. When this is over, my kids are going to be excited to go back to school, play with their friends, eat at a restaurant. That will be exciting. For us, the little things that we’re already missing will make life feel normal. The big trip can come much later. We will be desperate for our normal routine. We cancelled a vacation for next week and my kids are less concerned about that than they are about how their whole world and everyday life has been rocked.

Maybe you’re right. Maybe no one is like us. I disagree, but time will tell.

Agree 4/1 would be too soon.

Disney needs to tread carefully here. I know they want things back open but they don't want to look like they are putting profit over health. I mean these days you have people watching press conferences and going person A touched the same microphone person B touched afterwards. These things are being noticed right now. I just hope disney doesn't try to push to re-open too quickly. Be smart and be safe.

Didn’t know much about the CP before diving into this boards for an upcoming trip. How many CP individuals work at the parks? I’m curious about how vital they are to ensuring staffing levels are appropriate to run the park.

I don't think anyone would turn their back on them.

I think in two months (less actually) people are going to be climbing walls and desperate to get some sense of normalcy. Provided Disney does it in a as safe (?) a way as possible, people will flock in droves, even to a limited opening.

There is already a LOT of backlash about this online. People are NOT happy about it - because they're reading it the way I initially did - that Disney will be doing this soon, even while cases are still rising, while the crisis is still ongoing. Such a move will definitely cost them in the court of public opinion.

However, I'm thinking now the article was less about April 1st, and more about once things have settled down, and CDC feels it's okay for things to start opening. And no, there wouldn't be any reason for for people to turn their backs on them for such a move, then.

Last edited:

We certainly won't.

I'm sure you're right. I'm sure some will travel asap. We ourselves probably won't wait for a vaccine, but we will definitely wait until we know cases are down to a slow trickle. But I've also seen online, and personally know, many who have said - "I'm not flying again until..." "I won't travel until...." (there's a proven treatment or vaccine). Everyone has different comfort levels. And there are a lot of people for whom this has turned their world upside down and shaken them up, who aren't going to be comfortable going back to the way things were, in multiple ways.

On the positive side, I do think however we're going to have treatments available before a vaccine. There are already a few trials/studies going. Which hopefully will bode well for people's comfort levels.

Last edited:
I don’t think a blanket statement that “people won’t wait” can be made. When this is over, my kids are going to be excited to go back to school, play with their friends, eat at a restaurant. That will be exciting. For us, the little things that we’re already missing will make life feel normal. The big trip can come much later.

This is what I'm noticing so far, too. The kids know our vacation this summer probably isn't going to happen. But they could care less. What they ARE upset about is their activities being cancelled, not seeing their friends, and the day to day disruption. When people say everyone is going to want to rush out of the house in 2-3 months when this settles some, I agree! But I agree with you that I think vacations will be the last thing on most people's minds - it'll be getting back to normal, day to day life. Many won't even be able to afford a vacation when this is all over.

Didn’t know much about the CP before diving into this boards for an upcoming trip. How many CP individuals work at the parks? I’m curious about how vital they are to ensuring staffing levels are appropriate to run the park.

Last number I saw was 4k

There is already a LOT of backlash about this online. People are NOT happy about it - because they're reading it the way I initially did - that Disney will be doing this soon, even while cases are still rising, while the crisis is still ongoing. Such a move will definitely cost them in the court of public opinion.

However, I'm thinking now the article was less about April 1st, and more about once things have settled down, and CDC feels it's okay for things to start opening. And no, there wouldn't be any reason for for people to turn their backs on them for such a move, then.

agreed. In the period of time when lockdown isn’t needed anymore but there still isn’t a vaccine places are going to have to take measures. These would be appropriate in that timeframe which were still a long way from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter