Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then WDW isn't the place for you until that restriction is lifted (if it is implemented).

Oh, I realize that. I don’t have a child with sensory issues. My point is, this poster is generalizing to say that every small child can be controlled to wear a mask. There will be parents at WDW struggling to get their children to keep a mask on and not fidget with it. And it’s not because the parents are lazy or free range or don’t care. It’s because it’s different. And they are children.

With a potentially high risk child, if masks are recommended, the covid situation is still too risky for us to be at WDW in the first place. We won’t be going for a long time.

It would seem Bob Chapek (Bob Iger, or Mickey Mouse himself) could put some people's masks on for them at park entrance while telling them they need to wear them in the parks and they would still find reason to believe Disney isn't going to ask people to wear masks.

Nearly the only somewhat solid info we have from Disney regarding opening is masks. Believe them. They're happening in some form. If you don't want them (not you can't wear them, but don't want them), you're going to have to get over it. The only thing they have made more clear is Disney Springs partially opening May 20th.

Yes I am. And I come from a large family with lots of kids. You can control kids. Parents have done it for generations.

Want to come teach my 4 YO to stop picking his nose? He generally does well behaving in public, but I cannot get him to keep his hands off of his face, and I don’t have any idea how to control that. Heck, I catch myself with my hands on my own face from time to time and I’m an adult! I’m not sure that kids touching their own faces is due to a lack of parental control.

For my family, we wouldn’t go if masks are required. They are required In my state in indoor places where 6 feet of distancing cannot be maintained at all times (ie the grocery store). I haven’t taken my son anywhere indoors since the mask ordinance was put in place. I don’t enjoy wearing one myself (although I do it out of common courtesy), and I just don’t think I’d be very successful getting my son to leave it alone, never mind for hours on end in Florida heat. Our Memorial Day trip is obviously off and right now, we’re hoping to return in July 2021.

but no one is being forced to go to Disney, whenever they reopen. Average people can stay home, that’s cool. We all have comfort levels. But the idea that the parks shouldn’t open at all bc of masks is ridiculous. This thing is here to stay for the time being. If learning to live the (ugh, my least fave phrase) “new normal” means wearing masks, then strap a mask on and go for it, or just stay home. (not YOU you, @ENJDisneyFan , people in general.) im willing to bet a day at Disney in a mask is still better than a day at home without one.
I don’t disagree and I wasn’t suggesting they shouldn’t open. I just think the number of people who will be willing to shell out thousands of dollars for a vacation while having to wear masks is probably a pretty small number.

Not sure what you mean by “get over it”. For my essential trips to get groceries, yes I’m willing to suck it up. For an expensive, luxury vacation...not so much

What I mean is, if they require wearing masks and you don’t have medical reasons for not doing it, then either follow the requirements or don’t go. People with children, special needs or not, I understand the problem. Adults with medical conditions I understand. Grown ups who just won’t quit griping about it, I don’t. You don’t have to go. We have one in our group who says no mask for him. If he sticks to that, he won’t go. But he’s not continually harping about it -he knows what the rule might be and he’s opting out.

I don’t want to wear a mask. I truly hate them. But I want to go more than I hate masks. Honestly, I’ve never considered WDW a luxury vacation. lol

Are we still talking about masks?

Guys we get it, masks suck but they also help you keep safe. Disney's hand might be forced especially in the beginning to make it a requirement. We don't know how any potential mandate will force children or adults that can't wear them for other health reasons yet, and frankly it's not the spot to discuss it unless there is a news on it, at least here.

Don't travel if it's a requirement and it will cost you fun points.

Why do we need pages on pages to discuss this?

What I mean is, if they require wearing masks and you don’t have medical reasons for not doing it, then either follow the requirements or don’t go. People with children, special needs or not, I understand the problem. Adults with medical conditions I understand. Grown ups who just won’t quit griping about it, I don’t. You don’t have to go. We have one in our group who says no mask for him. If he sticks to that, he won’t go. But he’s not continually harping about it -he knows what the rule might be and he’s opting out.

I don’t want to wear a mask. I truly hate them. But I want to go more than I hate masks. Honestly, I’ve never considered WDW a luxury vacation. lol

I've been looking into alternative face coverings because my masks are uncomfortable on the ears. I also bought a couple of headbands with the buttons on them to take pressure off the ears. I think someone posted about it.

Anyway, since it seems like it will be what we all have to do to go out I wanted options. If I could get away with a gaiter/bandana/scarf type covering I would consider wearing that to WDW. And I have been very NO WAY EVER on wearing a mask at WDW.

We bought a few different things and are going to try them out this summer.

Are we still talking about masks?

Guys we get it, masks suck but they also help you keep safe. Disney's hand might be forced especially in the beginning to make it a requirement. We don't know how any potential mandate will force children or adults that can't wear them for other health reasons yet, and frankly it's not the spot to discuss it unless there is a news on it, at least here.

Don't travel if it's a requirement and it will cost you fun points.

Why do we need pages on pages to discuss this?

Because SDL opened yesterday and Chapek was on TV today talking about it. That's why.

I don’t disagree and I wasn’t suggesting they shouldn’t open. I just think the number of people who will be willing to shell out thousands of dollars for a vacation while having to wear masks is probably a pretty small number.

correct, it wasn’t you, totally realize that- it was someone upthread. And I’m not the average guest, I have APs and dvc and go often. but, if I were the average guest, that’s when I would start looking at everything else and seeing if that makes me push off my trip.

But it almost seems like people who don’t want masks (not meaning you) think parks shouldn’t open til there’s no need for masks, which could be who knows when, again cause of “new normal,” and how much of life are we going to put off because it’s not perfect?

im in the camp of, we've all seen recently how fast life changes, let’s embrace whatever magic we can while we can once those new norms are in place. Know what I mean? watching the Shanghai parade clip..it was shorter but seeing Mickey waving and hearing the music, it did my heart good. :earsboy:

If there was a lot of info to discuss regarding Disney's opening I would get the annoyance being stuck on masks.

Besides DS opening, the masks are one of the only topics we have somewhat factual info about. So if discussion is allowed in here and not just sharing of new information, why would masks not be talked about right after Bob Chapek has confirmed they will be required in the theme parks?

I don't even know why we are having a Mask debate to begin with

You most likely have to wear them to go to the parks

If you don't like it and won't comply, you can't go, period

Disney will welcome you with open arms when these restrictions are lifted :worship:

And this is coming from someone who most likely won't go not only because of having to wear masks, but also because I want to go to the Disney I love, not the incomplete Disney experience I foresee for the next months ahead

For the time being, we have our answer. Chapek said masks will be required for guests and employees. Whether you like it or not, that seems to be the company's current position. Ultimately, if you don't want to wear one, then maybe this year may be the year to try another destination for vacation or do a staycation. Arguments about the feasibility and enforceability seem moot at the moment. Whether it be pool hopping, refillable mugs, or other Disney "controversies," the general consensus on these Boards is to follow Disney's stated rules (discussing how to break them is actually prohibited in The DIS's guidelines) and usually Disney finds a way to enforce these rules. I'm not going to apply a different standard to face masks.

Also, I will keep reiterating this: the moderators and owners of this Board have made it clear that this forum (and this specific thread) is not the place to have a debate regarding larger reopenings nationwide. I've been asking myself before I post: does this really pertain to WDW/Disney directly or am I really having a larger argument?

I wish I could like your post 1000 times. Here is what Disney has already told us (not someone's uncle, not a DISboard speculation):

1. Chapek indicated today that masks/face coverings are expected to be fully required by both guests and Cast Members.

2. Disney's survey of a random sample of guests with resort reservations in the next few months did not ask about mask use, but rather told guests to assume that Travel providers and Central Florida attractions, including the Walt Disney World Resort, will have implemented a new set of health and safety measures (such as all employees and customers wearing face coverings, enhanced disinfecting and cleaning of facilities, limiting capacity and density of large gatherings, etc.).

3. Pamela Hymel, Chief Medical Officer for Disney has said they will follow guidance from the government and the medical community regarding enhanced screening procedures and prevention measures, including those related to personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings. Note that the CDC recommends the use of cloth masks when people are in close proximity to help limit the distance that droplets can travel (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html)

Disney knows that mask is a sticking point (no pun intended) for many guests (about half, if you read or internal poll here). But, they also cannot stay shut indefinitely. Anyone who thinks they can open in the next year or two without significant measures is not looking at the daily data. With 20,000-25,000 new daily cases per in the USA and 2,000-2,500 new deaths daily in the USA, they have to put in measures that are in accordance with the CDC guidelines. And it's not one measure, it's a series of measures (limited capacity, distancing markers/procedures, face coverings, sanitizing, touchless procedures, that all together help minimize the spread. They've told us it's coming. It is up to guests to comply with the measures.

If there was a lot of info to discuss regarding Disney's opening I would get the annoyance being stuck on masks.

Besides DS opening, the masks are one of the only topics we have somewhat factual info about. So if discussion is allowed in here and not just sharing of new information, why would masks not be talked about right after Bob Chapek has confirmed they will be required in the theme parks?

The mods have asked us not to debate the issue here, there’s an existing thread on TPAS for that. I’m as guilty as anyone of being drawn into it, but at some point it’s just beating a dead horse.

Nearly the only somewhat solid info we have from Disney regarding opening is masks. Believe them. They're happening in some form. If you don't want them (not you can't wear them, but don't want them), you're going to have to get over it. The only thing they have made more clear is Disney Springs partially opening May 20th.

Is Disney Springs requiring masks?

The mods have asked us not to debate the issue here, there’s an existing thread on TPAS for that. I’m as guilty as anyone of being drawn into it, but at some point it’s just beating a dead horse.

My question is kind of to them too.

We go round and round on everything we can possibly speculate about regarding opening since we don't have a lot of real info to actually go off of. If this thread is opened for discussion, it seems weird to not allow discussion about one of the only things we know to be true, well kind of true at least, true for now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter