Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I hate about articles published on line, is when they reference that Disney closed parks in Japan. Disney did no such thing, Disney doesnt own or operate the Japanese Parks, nor do they fully own any Asian park in general. Disney only fully owns 3 parks and all are open. I wish they would put that fact in the articles.

.. if Disney doesn't follow suit, they will get a huge black eye about being "greedy" ..
As much as I do think The Disney Corp is greedy, and not merely "doing business to make a profit" like some people here say, I don't think their reluctance to close is purely based on greed, believe it or not. People plan for, sometimes, years for a trip to Disney World. TDC doesn't want to close too soon because of that. But they will close soon, I'm sure.

As much as I do think The Disney Corp is greedy, and not merely "doing business to make a profit" like some people here say, I don't think their reluctance to close is purely based on greed, believe it or not. People plan for, sometimes, years for a trip to Disney World. TDC doesn't want to close too soon because of that. But they will close soon, I'm sure.
Every corporation is greedy to a degree. They have to be or they wouldnt be successful. But I dont think bottom line has anything to do with the decisions they are pondering.

The virus is already crippling hospitals in Italy. We’re on that track right now and it doesn’t seem like there’s enough enthusiasm to stop it. Some things are bigger than business and I hope Disney realizes that soon.
Its also up to people to be held to that standard as well. Getting on a plane KNOWING you have tested positive is not cool either. Yet people do it. The inherently selfish human being poses just as much of a threat as does Businesses remaining open. Rather than just demonizing businesses for getting a plan together, lets hold individuals accountable even more.

While I agree with you, I also think it comes down to public pressure. The NCAA hasnt cancelled the NCAA tournament yet, but now Duke and Kansas have said they wont play even if it is without fans and every sportscaster is asking why when NBA, NHL, MLB, and MLS have all put things on hold, why hasnt the NCAA. Everyone will start asking why Disney, Busch, Universal, etc are still open when so many others are closing. Whether we agree or not that it seems kind of crazy, the concensus is that it is absolutely going to be a problem and people should stop gatherings. Lots of moving parts
It's ALL about public pressure now. The NCAA will probably have to cave to pressure and cancel (I mean, really why have the tournament if there isn't fan's there? The broadcast will be so quiet and boring to watch).

Let me throw out another scenario for you;
Right now, decisions are being made based on the assumption that this is like the flu, and it will eventually pass. The thought is we are cancelling events, quarantining the sick, and hoping the rest of us don't get it - until it passes. OK, but what if it doesn't? What if it's like the Chicken Pox? There is an entire, post-vaccine generation who never went through the Chicken Pox, but at one time it was a question of when, not if you would get it. Once your siblings got it, kids were often quarantined together so they would ALL get it. Reason being, once you recovered, you were immune. Nothing shut down, no events were cancelled, it was just a fact of life.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we all purposely get CV, but what if the measures we are taking are just to slow it's spread down enough so that the medical facilities are not overwhelmed, but CV is not going away? When do we resume activities and who decides?
Follow South Korea's lead. We have enough evidence to see who's been handling this better and obviously who's handling it poorly so listen to the people who have figured it out so far.

But we're still not testing enough people. We have no idea how bad it is but we do know it's getting worse by the day and we're depending on people doing the right thing to reverse the trend. It's not enough right now.
I wonder what would happen if we didn't test anyone? If we didn't have "infected" and "death" numbers broadcast to us 24/7? If it was just "another unnamed virus" with a different severity level.

We would probably go about our lives, lots of people would catch it (just how a LOT of people get colds or flus during the winter), stay home, get better and then continue on with their lives. YES .. a lot of people would catch it .. YES .. it would affect some people more than others ... and YES many would die, but without the "panic" of watching it spread and watching the "numbers" grow, (which we don't for things like the flu) .. would we as a society really care? Probably not. We'd continue to go about our lives, wash hands as much as possible and take care of ourselves IF we get sick.

I'm not saying we SHOULD do that (ignore it) . .I am just saying if we didn't have the mass communication and data available we do today, would this be causing the "panic" it is now? I would think that it would just be looked at as another "seasonal" virus. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss sometimes.

I wonder what would happen if we didn't test anyone? If we didn't have "infected" and "death" numbers broadcast to us 24/7? If it was just "another unnamed virus" with a different severity level.

We would probably go about our lives, lots of people would catch it (just how a LOT of people get colds or flus during the winter), stay home, get better and then continue on with their lives. YES .. a lot of people would catch it .. YES .. it would affect some people more than others ... and YES many would die, but without the "panic" of watching it spread and watching the "numbers" grow, (which we don't for things like the flu) .. would we as a society really care? Probably not. We'd continue to go about our lives, wash hands as much as possible and take care of ourselves IF we get sick.

I'm not saying we SHOULD do that (ignore it) . .I am just saying if we didn't have the mass communication and data available we do today, would this be causing the "panic" it is now? I would think that it would just be looked at as another "seasonal" virus. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss sometimes.
It sure would when people were dying in hospital hallways and being turned away at the door.

It would probably be like that for a bit, you're right. But then the hospitals get overwhelmed and horrific choices may need to be made by medical professionals, then suddenly the problem can no longer be ignored. Then by that point, it's too late to walk it back.

Less panic now, way more panic later.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we all purposely get CV, but what if the measures we are taking are just to slow it's spread down enough so that the medical facilities are not overwhelmed, but CV is not going away? When do we resume activities and who decides?

It isn't going to go away. It will be a new seasonal (most likely) disease like the cold of the flu. That's why vaccines are being developed, so we can lessen the impact in years to come, just like the flu. Strains will mutate and new vaccines will need to be made. And we will adapt. :)

Seminole County has its first case of coronavirus
Florida health officials said Thursday that a 68-year-old man in Seminole County has tested positive for the corona virus. The case is travel related and the man is isolated and being cared for, Florida Department of Health officials said.
We live 35 minutes from the World.
Of course it is where I live in Altamonte Springs to boot.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, that I'll be following as I'm scheduled to fly down to WDW from Chicago on Saturday. Kinda hoping it doesn't spread fast enough to close the place too soon, but I get that they have to do what they have to do.

Really hoping that for once I won't have to listen to someone nagging the crowd to "move forward and fill all available space" 30x per every line...

Let me throw out another scenario for you;
Right now, decisions are being made based on the assumption that this is like the flu, and it will eventually pass. The thought is we are cancelling events, quarantining the sick, and hoping the rest of us don't get it - until it passes. OK, but what if it doesn't? What if it's like the Chicken Pox? There is an entire, post-vaccine generation who never went through the Chicken Pox, but at one time it was a question of when, not if you would get it. Once your siblings got it, kids were often quarantined together so they would ALL get it. Reason being, once you recovered, you were immune. Nothing shut down, no events were cancelled, it was just a fact of life.

No one can predict the future or the outcome of the virus, but what you describe is the reason for the isolation. The immediate need to not overwhelm the hospitals and the ability to treat those who are affected. If 1,000 people get infected and there is only capacity to care for 1,000 people, then it can be managed. But if it spikes to 10,000 people or 100,000 people, then it can’t be managed and people will die. The experts and reasonable people don’t want this to happen.

The scenario you are describing is to let natural selection take place. Humanity is better than that.

But then the hospitals get overwhelmed and horrific choices may need to be made by medical professionals, then suddenly the problem can no longer be ignored.
Would they though?
And I am truly asking this .. I don't know the number.

How many people (percentage) have intensive care-hospital-needed symptoms versus going to the hospital because the publicity this virus is getting? Again .. I truly don't know .. it's really hard to tell from news reports (especially because we aren't in Italy or China).

I am not trying to underplay the seriousness of it, nor am I saying that we are necessarily overreacting. I am truly curious how much of this is "mass hysteria" because of the data and tracking we have at our fingertips and thrown at us via social and tv media.

I guess I am saying . .without the publicity, would people go to the doctor for this? Most reports I see the symptoms are "slight fever and dry cough for a few days" .. Obviously MANY elderly people are having critical symptoms, but for the vast majority of people? They don't need hospital care, so how flooded would hospitals be? (Not knowing how many "beds" most local hospitals have).

Would they though?
And I am truly asking this .. I don't know the number.

How many people (percentage) have intensive care-hospital-needed symptoms versus going to the hospital because the publicity this virus is getting? Again .. I truly don't know .. it's really hard to tell from news reports (especially because we aren't in Italy or China).

I am not trying to underplay the seriousness of it, nor am I saying that we are necessarily overreacting. I am truly curious how much of this is "mass hysteria" because of the data and tracking we have at our fingertips and thrown at us via social and tv media.

I guess I am saying . .without the publicity, would people go to the doctor for this? Most reports I see the symptoms are "slight fever and dry cough for a few days" .. Obviously MANY elderly people are having critical symptoms, but for the vast majority of people? They don't need hospital care, so how flooded would hospitals be? (Not knowing how many "beds" most local hospitals have).
There is tons of published data about number of beds available and potential demand. Just read a bit. Nothing you are asking is at all hard to find out.

Well we're not testing enough people so we might find out what happens as a result. But right now we're trending towards an Italy situation and what's happening there is pretty bad.

The US is around 2 weeks behind the UK who are around 2 weeks behind Italy in this.

UK is expected to peak in 10-14 weeks, allegedly 80% of us will get it and less than 1% will die - that’s a lot of people.

I’m supposed to be flying to LA on Saturday, I see Anaheim are announcing ‘something’ in the next couple of days, I hope they restrict numbers at the parks and don’t just shut down, they’re being incredibly vague right now.

If Disney shut their parks down everyone else would have to follow suit. The all the businesses that rely on tourist would have to cut way back. 100s of thousands of people out of work for 2 months. Could any tourist destination survive that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter