Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, “pent up demand” again. Yes, the first 4-6 weeks will likely be busy/sold out, because of people like us on this thread and all the locals who want to “report” on the reopening. Come September, I don’t think that continues. Looking at responses to the reopening in the larger public, it’s a lot of “meh,” not outrage but no rush to go. While I think there certainly is a desire amongst many for a vacation at some point this year, I’m not sure there’s a substantial appetite right now for a crowded theme park (even operating at limited capacity) or any sort of “mass gathering” vacation experience.

Add to that the substantial economic effects of this pandemic, reduced experiences, and Disney likely being able to slightly increase capacity by that point (I.e. increasing supply and demand wavers) and I think there will be a very different narrative by September, barring any sort of (unlikely) major breakthrough treatment or vaccine by then.

Spoiler alert: I don’t actually think Chapek thinks there’s as much “pent up demand” as he leads on, just like I think he knows that waits aren’t going to be drastically shorter. He’s trying to drum up excitement amongst investors and the public.

Since this is the rumor forum, someone on another forum said they worked in bus transportation and what he is hearing isn't good, bus transportation will be a mess, and that he hopes people will be patient with the drivers. My guess is long bus lines due to extremely low capacity (DFB estimated 15 people per bus) and possibly disinfecting after each ride?
I can’t see them cleaning after each ride. They aren’t doing that for rides. I could see them putting a hand sanitizer dispenser on the bus though.

For people with resort reservations but no tickets, what is your game plan?
We had a back up trip for our now cancelled July 4th trip booked for NYE. Our current tickets were blocked out those dates but I was hoping they’d be extended. I was worried about being cut out of yet another family trip without valid tickets so I bought date based tickets from Undercover Tourist this morning.

IMO Phase 2 for FL is coming within the next 7 days. DeSantis wants tourism open asap
I would guess Monday. Probabl doesn't want to go to the next phase on a weekend. Complete guess though. I honestly don't even know what's in stage 2. Seems like everything is already open.

I need to look more carefully to see what else, but our Topolino breakfast was also canceled, as was Bon Voyage breakfast.
It appears it might be resort restaurants as both my reservations at resorts were cancelled, but not my park reservations.

It won’t be a nightmare if they can get resort occupancy down to the levels they want. They have enough busses to make it work with reduced loads and sanitization. That is if they choose to put that many busses into service.
This comment was made over a week ago so the person could have been imagining it at full capacity. Just sharing what I read. Not sure I have a take on it. Well find out during our stay in August! (maybe)

Has anyone with a July trip booked not received an email? We had a package trip booked June 12 - never received the cancel email (although I am full aware it's canceled), and we have a cabin booked at FW for 7/13-7/16 and have not received the email everyone else is getting. I don't like this.
I still haven’t. Booked at Boulder Ridge 7/12-7/19 on cash ressie. I have AP & DH has dated tix. FPs have disappeared on mde but not ADRs yet.

I agree that announcing everything at once and using human language instead of corporate speak would have been better.
That is what the board and Iger want Chapek to say when he is on Bloomberg. On Bloomberg his job is to sell the future of the company to investors. The target audience when you go on Bloomberg isn’t Disney parks fanatics.

Has anyone with a July trip booked not received an email? We had a package trip booked June 12 - never received the cancel email (although I am full aware it's canceled), and we have a cabin booked at FW for 7/13-7/16 and have not received the email everyone else is getting. I don't like this.
We have July 11-16th booked at Poly and July 17th-19th at Fort Wilderness with tickets linked and have received nothing either.

I've made similar comments about him in this thread. His tone right now doesn't match the situation. I believe he wanted to stay closed and avoid all of this. But they can't. No doubt he believes the demand will be there regardless and isn't worried about brand image. Nothing about him personally makes me feel better about Disney's leadership at the moment.

Spoiler alert: I don’t actually think Chapek thinks there’s as much “pent up demand” as he leads on, just like I think he knows that waits aren’t going to be drastically shorter. He’s trying to drum up excitement amongst investors and the public.

I was going to say that I don't think a lot of hard core Disney fans like Chapek much but Wall St seems to like him and whether we like that or not it is a very important thing for a CEO of any public company

That is what the board and Iger want Chapek to say when he is on Bloomberg. On Bloomberg his job is to sell the future of the company to investors. The target audience when you go on Bloomberg isn’t Disney parks fanatics.
I was talking about the consumer communication

"Different labor situation" meaning unions, I suppose, which makes complete sense. Disney cannot move without making sure the union agrees - especially for any safety measures that wound up in their union agreement. That makes it hard to pivot quickly, both now and later.

Also Disney furloughed a lot of staff and sent the international CMs back, etc vs Universal who kept them in at reduced salary so probably easier for Universal to get them back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter