Crock pot recipes, I just got a crock pot?

We just had:
boneless skinless chicken thighs
carrots cut up
onion cut up
sclied mushroom
THen I make a packet of roast chicken gravy pour it over.
6-7 hours later make the egg noodles and voila!

I hadn't made it in years but now that I am working longer hours that crock pot is making its comeback!

This thread inspires me to bring out my crock pot again -- but I have a question for those recipes using beef roasts (pot roast or italian beef) or pork roasts. Do you brown the meat before putting it in the pot, or just put it in raw? Any advantages or disadvantages to browning it first?

I've made some really tasty soups and chili with recipes from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. For those of you who don't like using canned or processed ingredients, this book is great for that. The only thing I've found with it is that I think even on low, my slow cooker must be hotter than whoever designed these recipes because I always have to cook my stuff less time than the recipe says.

I also really liked the slow cooker lasagna recipe that was on the back of a Lipton vegetable soup box I found once. I think this is pretty much the same recipe.

I wish my slow cooker had a start timer because then I know I'd use it more often. Since my slow cooker always seems to take less time than the recipes call for, even 8-10 hour recipes I can't leave going while I'm at work without risking all the liquid steaming out.

One thing I really like to do, and it's free, is go to the library and check out cookbooks related to whatever style of cooking I feel like. So I'd recommend taking advantage of your local library and seeing if they have any slow cooker cookbooks in their collection for inspiration.
For those of us that have the high-heat even on low, crock-pots, get a digital timer. I picked one up at Lowe's for about $5.00 I can set the exact stop and start time (unless you have a crock-pot with a timer.)

4 chicken breasts
1/2 package of taco seasoning
12 oz jar of salsa
1 can cream of mushroom

cook all day
pull the chichen apart- like pulled pork

I searve this in burritos with regular taco items
or-serve over rice
or serve on a bed of lettece,tomato,olives,avacodos and top with crushed tortilla chips

you can also add sourcream at the end of the cooking, if you don't mind the extra calories.

my whole family loves this

This thread inspires me to bring out my crock pot again -- but I have a question for those recipes using beef roasts (pot roast or italian beef) or pork roasts. Do you brown the meat before putting it in the pot, or just put it in raw? Any advantages or disadvantages to browning it first?

No, you can just drop it in raw. No need to brown a roast of any kind.

I know some people brown it for extra flavor or just because. I don't because I'm lazy. :rotfl2: I do make sure it is thawed.

Not sure if this has been posted already - if so I apologize!

Taco Soup

1 pound hamburger
1 ranch dressing mix
1 taco seasoning
2 cans kidney beans
1 can black beans
2 cans tomato sauce

Cook on low 6 to 8 hours and service with tortilla chips and cheddar cheese. This is also actually a WW recipe so low fat as long as you don't overdo it on chips and cheese (Like I tend too! :rotfl: )

My DH was very sceptical about roast chicken - how will it cook, how will it brow, surely it won't taste like "real" roast chicken:rolleyes1 Well guess what? NOW he won't do it any other way, because its a whole lot easier cleanig a crockpot than a roaster:rotfl2: (No need to ask who has to skin the fizzer though :headache: ) What does everyone do with all the liquid? I've been disposing of it like grease, but should I separate it out and extract any "dripping"?

I cant believe I havent found this thread before!!
I got a eye of round getting happy right now in the croc pot..:thumbsup2
Love the recipese,got to try some of them!!

I second this recipe!!! My family LOVES it.

Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
2 chicken breasts - boneless skinless (can use thighs if you don't like breasts)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 Tbsp. margarine
2 cans refrigerator biscuits
1 soup can of water

Put the chicken breasts in a crock pot, top with soup, margarine, and water. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir. 45 minutes before serving (turn heat to High if cooking on Low), cut biscuits into small pieces and add to crock pot.
I've never made chicken and dumplings before and would like to try. This recipe sounds good and easy, just the kind I like. Plus not too many ingredients.

How small is small when you cut up the biscuits? And about how many people will this recipe feed?

It seems a lot of biscuits in relation to chicken - maybe its supposed to be more of a soup?:confused3

4 chicken breasts
1/2 package of taco seasoning
12 oz jar of salsa
1 can cream of mushroom

cook all day
pull the chichen apart- like pulled pork

I did this yesterday - I added sliced red peppers and half an onion (sliced). I pulled apart the chicken and fished out the veg with a slotted spoon and used it to make enchiladas, pouring the cooking sauce over and topping with cheese. It was super yummy and much easier than frying off the meat separately:thumbsup2

Bumping this to add a French Onion Soup. Have tried many recipes, but this is a nice basic version that tastes great without tweaking. I cheated & used Beef "Better Than Boullion" as stock. Good as is, but adding the dry sherry to the bowl (I used less than recommended) makes it a knockout. Note: Recipe fills a 6 qt. slowcooker and freezes well.

Now if only I could find a fast way of carmelizing onions! ;)

http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-french-onion-soup-268870

Recently made pulled pork in my slowcooker (crock pot):

3 lb pork shoulder (skin removed) -- can use pretty much any pork roast, with bones, no bones, or even 3 lbs worth of pork chops

1 can of root beer (your favourite kind)

2 tablespoons of chili powder

1 tablespoon each of garlic powder and paprika

1/2 tablespoon each of dried oregano and ground cumin

1 teaspoon of cayenne powder (or more or less or none depending on taste)

Juice of one lime or 2 tablespoons of vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

Put all ingredients in slow cooker. If root beer doesn't cover the meat then add a bit more liquid like more root beer or even a bit of water. The meat should be submerged but just under the surface.

Plug it in. Go out. Come home. Pause while you take in the heady aromas of delicious simmering pork. Take off lid and carefully remove pork from the pot. Using a couple of forks, pull apart the pork. If you like, you can pour the liquid from the crock pot into a regular stove top pot and reduce the liquid and make a tasty dipping sauce. You may need to thicken the sauce with corn starch.

Enjoy!

The leftovers are incredible the next day and my preference is stuffed taco shells with warmed pulled pork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter