Cricut Design Space

Pixieshouse

DIS Veteran
Now that Cricuit has discontinued supporting it's design space for older Cricuts (I have an expression) what do you use to weld words together? I used the design space primarily for welding words or making word art and really miss that function, but not enough to buy a new machine! When I called and spoke to Cricuit they told me the only thing I could do was purchase a new machine and get rid of what I have.

So, are there other options out there that I am missing?

Unfortunately, Cricut has decided those of us who have older machines aren't much value to them. :( I left Cricut when they decided to do subscriptions and took the option away for the cartridges many moons ago.. I have some many carts and to not be able to utilize them in newer machines I thought was horrible.

Needless to say, instead of investing in another Cricut machine, I switched to the Silhouette Cameo... I love it... I think it is more user friendly and versitile than the Cricut ever was... It's very easy to weld words together or to use SVG files to cut embellishments for pages...

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Last edited:
I love my Cricut Explore Air. It took me a while to load all my cartridges, but once I did, I could not believe how much more convenient it was. My SIL and I share a monthly subscription so it's only $60 for me for the year for any font, image, etc I can think of. It may be daunting at first, but you'll love it and wonder why you waited so long to make the switch!

The older Cricut machines {every thing before the Explore was released in 2014} never worked with Design Space. They could use Cricut Craft Room but that was discontinued in July 2018 because it was written using Adobe Flash and Adobe dropped Flash.

When Cricut discontinued Cricut Craft Room, they offered their customers with older Cricuts a $75 discount on a new machine. At that time, Cricut had the Explore models "on-sale". So with the discount, current customers with an older Cricut could upgrade to a new one for under $100. A great deal for their loyal customers since the non-sale price was around $300.

Subscriptions to the Cricut Image Library have always been optional. Design Space is totally free and can read svg, dxf, jpg, png and bmp files as well as all the fonts installed on your computer and Cricut artwork. So you don't have to use Cricut's subscription unless you want to.

Cricut has always supported the use of images from their cartridges. To use carts with the newer Cricut machines, you just link them to your Cricut account and then they are available digitally in Design Space. And carts are still usable in the older Cricuts. Just insert the cart, make cut selections on the keyboard and cut.

I still have the Cricut Expression I purchased in 2007. It still works with cartridges, just like it did when I bought it. But if I have any problem with it, I can call Cricut for support. They have maintained all of the User Manuals and Cart Handbooks and other info in the Cricut Help Center as well.

Sorry, but you've got older hardware that can't handle the newer software and your only options are to use the cart-based Cricut cutter or upgrade to a newer Cricut or another brand. But if you stick with Cricut, you can still use all the images and fonts from your Cricut carts and you won't have to pay for an upgraded to be able to use svg files.

Thank you everyone, it is just such a crummy thing to do with long term customers. I will still use it until it dies, I have invested in far to many cartridges to give up now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!