Cravings out of nowhere.

WDWHound

DIS Veteran
I am doing well on my plan. I am excercising regularly and controlling my fat and calorie intake, and the weight is coming off. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. Suddenly, I started getting strong cravings for junk food every afternoon, accompanied by really strong hunger. I get so hungry I can hardly concentrate. I keep a bag of apples on my desk for a healthy between meal snack, but eating one doesn't seem to help. The cravings pass after about an hour, but its really annoying.

I just cant figure out whats going on. I'm eating 2000 calories a day (the amount my doctor suggested for my heigth, weight and excorcise level), so I'm not under eating. I'm not drinking any soda or candy which would cause sugar cravings. Any suggestions as to what might be going on here?

Who can explain cravings? I sure can't. Increase your water intake, I'll bet that will help.

Katholyn

Sorry, I don't have any answer for you, but I was just thinking the exact same thing! Why on earth do I still sometimes crave junk food? Almost 10 months on WISH & WW now, and I still will sometimes get cravings. I have found that planning ahead for those cravings, has helped. Not in the sense that you know it'll happen any given day, but when it does happen, I'll postpone it, mentally, until I can plan a meal out one day to satisfy the craving. Silly? Maybe. But most times it works for me. I don't know if you're on a plan, WW specifically, but if you are, that's one of things they teach....don't deprive yourself, ever. HAVE those indulgences, but in moderation of course. In my case, I will PLAN ahead to satisfy those unending cravings. ::yes::

It could happen! :sunny:

It's not necessarily sugar that's causing inexplicable cravings.

Any kind of starch will do that.

If your diet is high in starch (breads, whole grains, pasta...), it could be triggering those cravings.

If you're eating high-protein and still coming up with those cravings, the best advice I can give you is to eat a higher protein snack instead of the apples. Have a few nuts, or some milk....(I know it's easier to store apples on your desk....)

Water is also an appetite suppressant. Drink more water until you feel full.

You really are doing the best thing you can do. Waiting until it passes.

Originally posted by SnackyStacky
It's not necessarily sugar that's causing inexplicable cravings.

Any kind of starch will do that.

If your diet is high in starch (breads, whole grains, pasta...), it could be triggering those cravings.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you are eating any starches, even in moderation, they may be causing the cravings. There are lots of fat-free/low-fat products that are full of starch, either in the form of white flour or sugar in disguise, like corn syrup.
It's hard to say what you should do without knowing what kind of eating plan you are following. What worked for me is to really limit grains of any kind for a week or so. I would only have high fiber cereal in the morning along with a fruit and a moderate amt of low-fat protein (egg whites or turkey sausage), and the rest of the day I would eat lots of fruits and veggies with some sort of protein at meals and lite yogurt for a snack. That got the sugar cravings out of my system. Then I would add back in whole grains and moderate starches like baked potatoes.

You need to consider if you are getting the right kind of food for the exercise you are doing, too. You may have to add some healthy protein and whole grains into your diet to fuel your body if you are exercising intensely.

Don't totally deprive yourself of sugar forever though. You'll never stick with it. Allow yourself 3 bites of favorite dessert, occassionally, as a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter