Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

Forced myself into negative splits for my 5k. (I don’t know what the splits were but I upped the speed at around every half mile starting at the end of mile one. Treadmills are so handy for this 😂

New 5k PR: 32:25 (which is like 5min faster than princess in February!!! ETA: 5:15 faster than the 5k SIL and I ran for princess weekend!)

My “race equivalency” chart says I could do this in about 31:35, so this is a big fat win for me, being within a minute of that. I did take 2 very short walk breaks, so I feel like if I had forced myself through those I would have definitely hit the RE time.

Last edited:
Forced myself into negative splits for my 5k. (I don’t know what the splits were but I upped the speed at around every half mile starting at the end of mile one. Treadmills are so handy for this 😂

New 5k PR: 32:25 (which is like 5min faster than princess in February!!!)

My “race equivalency” chart says I could do this in about 31:35, so this is a big fat win for me, being within a minute of that. I did take 2 very short walk breaks, so I feel like if I had forced myself through those I would have definitely hit the RE time.

:woohoo:

Weekly wrap up.
Baseball games have started in full force for middle school, and combined with our oldest’s JV schedule, all runs must be run before 2pm or they just won’t happen. I’m missing runs at very much the wrong time in the training schedule as we are just over a month away from the half I’m running with my SIL.

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: ran my SW 5k in place of the 3 mile run, and got a new “PR” (on the treadmill.)

Wednesday: rested because I had very achy legs, and then spent 4 hours standing at baseball, corralling 6th and 7th grade boys (herding cats! 😂) in my very very old cleats, which isn’t an issue when it’s just for practice for 2 hours, but I guess just standing for that long in those shoes is a poor choice.

Thursday: did the 5 miles I was supposed to do on Wednesday, and then put on compression socks and my legs felt so much better. This is definitely a shoe issue since this is exactly how my legs felt before I got fitted last year.

Friday: more baseball. Spent 5.5 hours standing at the field. Wore different shoes. Still ended up with angry legs.

Saturday: JV double header that ended up taking over 5 hours (was gone from the house for 7.5) and then I basically rolled my ankle when I got home. I didn’t actually roll it, but it was close and the tendons In my ankle still did that thing where they snap across the pointy bone on the outside of my ankle. Good times. Basically said goodbye to me doing my 9mi run this weekend.

Sunday: ankle is more sore than it was last night. Might try to get on the bike and see if I can work the soreness out, but I’m super irritated with myself because i bought a bunch of stuff to start trying for fuel options on Monday, and now I’m missing over half my mileage this week again, AND have an angry ankle.

Last edited:
2 hours and 9 miles on the treadmill. Thank goodness for streaming services and an iPad! 😂 I think I have around 1.5 episodes of Falcon/Winter Soldier left in the series at this point.

Tried cliff blocks (with caffeine) at the very beginning of the run, and then a gu (no caffeine) at the half way mark. I drank basically 1.5L of water during the run (trying to make sure I drank some after eating the 2 items mentioned.) My stomach felt a little weird at one point, so I took a walk break and drank more water and it went away. I know you’re supposed to make sure you are drinking a certain amount of water so you can absorb the carbs.....should that be all at once or can I spread it out over like 30min?

Last edited:

Weekly wrap up:

Missed more runs.

Monday: 9 miles (all treadmill) 13:09 pace

Tuesday-Thursday: 2 baseball double headers, and a super crabby baby

Friday: 5 mile pace run that surprisingly went better than I was expecting. 11:52 pace

Saturday: 8 hours of baseball *sigh* I know I'll miss it someday, but right now I'm just trying to get through some of these days and trying to juggle 3 different team schedules. Taking care of an 18mo old (or keeping an eye on the 9yo watching her), keeping book for the games, being the "dugout mom" and staying on top of player behavior/focus, coaching first base AND trying to get in-game pics at the same time is a lot. Thankfully we had a parent offer to help out so I can take a few of those things off my plate.

Today I'm doing my 10 mile run. This is the point where, when I was training last year, I quit. The race SIL and I had been training for went virtual and we both decided to defer our registrations, and school was back in session and all of the sports seasons that went with it. So this will be my first double digit run ever.

In other news, I found a Sole F80 on marketplace that's listed as "basically new" for $750 and I want it. I don't NEED it, but I WANT it. Our current treadmill is at least 7 years old, and while there's nothing wrong with it, it's probably getting to the point where we are going to have to start replacing things like the belt. It didn't see much use in the first 5 years, and I sort of figure that if running is sort-of my new hobby, I should be OK with getting better equipment. DH says I have to sell our current treadmill first, and that's a gamble I'm not willing to take (selling ours and then missing out on the F80, and being stuck with no treadmill at all.) Plus, i'm not sure if the f80 will fit through the basement door. :eek:

A weekend thought/question, and an "after the race" training question.

This weekend my plan calls for a 10k race on Saturday. My ankle is still a little stiff, PLUS is mother's day weekend and there isn't a race local to me, so I thought I would scrap that and instead run 9 or 10 miles since my "long run" last weekend was so terrible (i really think it was a not-enough food situation since I was gone from the house all day and didn't eat a real meal the entire day.) Then it's 11 miles next weekend, 12 miles the weekend after, and then race day the weekend after that. Thoughts?

Post race: I have my "schedule" set up to take 2 weeks off running after the race, and then start on the higdon novice marathon plan on week 3 after that. I'm still not entirely sure that I will really be able to put in the training this summer for a full, but I want to TRY and if I end up being too busy, I'll be in good shape for a half. I'm not "upgrading" my registration to the full until mid-July or early August, when I'll know how things are going. But that's not my question. I really want to do 80DO with my training. It's entirely possible I'll be over-scheduling myself.

If I incorporate 80DO starting the week after my race at the end of this month, taking out cardio core and cardio flow, and ONLY do phase 1 and phase 2, I will be "done" before August, which is when the long runs start hitting the big numbers (like 15 miles for the long run.) That would be lifting 4x a week and running 4x a week. PLUS that will be around when we will be starting sports again for the kids, so the "driving to all of the practices" schedule will start back up, and it will be a good time to pull back on some of the exercise time commitment. Thoughts?

Last edited:
This weekend my plan calls for a 10k race on Saturday. My ankle is still a little stiff, PLUS is mother's day weekend and there isn't a race local to me, so I thought I would scrap that and instead run 9 or 10 miles since my "long run" last weekend was so terrible (i really think it was a not-enough food situation since I was gone from the house all day and didn't eat a real meal the entire day.) Then it's 11 miles next weekend, 12 miles the weekend after, and then race day the weekend after that. Thoughts?

I can see why you'd feel that way. My advice is not to do the long run this weekend that didn't go well last weekend. Let it be and move on from it. If the concern is the jump up from your 2:09 run back about 2 weeks ago and moving on to 11 mile next weekend, then just do 10 miles next weekend instead. In more cases than not, you're better off doing less than doing more. Especially when it comes to potentially playing catchup.

Post race: I have my "schedule" set up to take 2 weeks off running after the race, and then start on the higdon novice marathon plan on week 3 after that. I'm still not entirely sure that I will really be able to put in the training this summer for a full, but I want to TRY and if I end up being too busy, I'll be in good shape for a half. I'm not "upgrading" my registration to the full until mid-July or early August, when I'll know how things are going. But that's not my question. I really want to do 80DO with my training. It's entirely possible I'll be over-scheduling myself.

If I incorporate 80DO starting the week after my race at the end of this month, taking out cardio core and cardio flow, and ONLY do phase 1 and phase 2, I will be "done" before August, which is when the long runs start hitting the big numbers (like 15 miles for the long run.) That would be lifting 4x a week and running 4x a week. PLUS that will be around when we will be starting sports again for the kids, so the "driving to all of the practices" schedule will start back up, and it will be a good time to pull back on some of the exercise time commitment. Thoughts?

So that would be Total Body Core, AAA, Booty, and Legs. It looks like that is 3.5-4 hrs of lifting per week. If you're able to manage it from a time perspective, then there shouldn't be an issue for most of the stuff. Just keep in mind your running is your primary. So if you're feeling a little tired or the lifting starts to affect your ability to run well, then pull back on the lifting. The Legs workout is the one to be most concerned about and placement of it versus the running workouts.

(Late) Weekly wrap-up:

First off, spring in northern Michigan sucks this year. SO COLD!

Sunday: tried for 10mi, only managed 7.

Monday: "off" day, but I needed to prove to myself that I could actually run (after Sunday's hot mess express)
and managed to get 2 miles in before the baby woke up from her nap.

Tuesday: PT. I should go for the last time in about a month.

Wednesday: 5 miles for Cinco de Mayo!

Thursday: Baseball

Friday: 3 miles

Saturday/Sunday: Mothers Day stuff. LOTS of yard work. We cut down and pulled out a pine tree to put in a Magnolia tree, did a ton of weeding/overseeding/fertilizing. Had the BIL/SIL over for a bonfire.

Not saying much that I only wanted to miss 3 runs this month and already have 1 to "make up" after the first week. *sigh* On the effort-scale of things, I feel like I'm all over the place, so I'm trying to make sure I'm eating enough. I tend go grab a snack with my coffee in the morning, and then sometimes don't manage to remember to eat anything else until 2pm. On the days things feel good, it's REALLY good. But on the days where it feels hard, it's pretty much awful. 19 days until the race, so hopefully the weather gets a bit nicer than mid-40s and damp/windy, and things even out a bit more for me.

Had a mental freak-out yesterday. I decided to listen to a podcast instead of music/streaming something to change things up, and found one that was "how to *prepare* for marathon training" and I totally psyched myself out about training for the full in October. I've kind of "sat" on what she said for 24hrs now, and I'm less freaked out, but still really questioning myself at this point. I will also say, that right now I'm still registered for the half in october, and NOT the full.

So essentially, her gist was:
-you should have already been running/training for a minimum of a YEAR (fitness base, bone density, etc) she also talked a lot about easy runs, running slowly, all of the things that get talked about in here, so none of that was new.
-you should be running 20-30mi/week for a minimum of 6 MONTHS
-if you don't do the 2 things above, you're probably going to horribly injure yourself, OR not be able to finish

first point: (fitness base), I know that my HR during my easy runs is above what she says should be your "absolute maximum" but if I slow down any more I will be walking, and if I'm walking then training is going to take up so.much.time. it'll really start taking away from other (family)stuff I need to fit in. Granted, I've been pushing a stroller for a lot more runs lately, and that doesn't help the HR, but I'm usually more like 155 for easy runs. So strike 1 for me. I haven't been running for a year straight, because I took basically 3.5 months off last fall/early winter and she made it sound like if you marathon train before a year that you will for-sure get stress fractures. So there's strike 2.

2nd point: I am JUST NOW hitting 20 miles a week. Strike 3?

It seemed a like a conservative take on things. But it also made a lot of SENSE. But also SO conservative. And because of where I live, if I don't "DO IT" (a full) this year, I will be putting it off for an entire year because I'm not going to train for a spring full on my treadmill all winter, while I have 4 different basketball schedules to deal with AND a 2.5 year old that won't be taking 3-4 hour naps. That's definitely out of the question.

And if MW happens and I somehow get a registration, but I train for the half instead of the full for october, is 2 months really enough to get from "trained for a half" to "trained for a full"? I'm guessing no? And then I'll be back to square one for a training plan to make THAT work, and fitting it around all of our summer stuff in order to DO the training. Basically my brain has come up with all the reasons why this will be "too hard" and a "bad idea" and leap-frogged all over those things.

And I'm pretty sure freaking out that this is normal at this point? Also my ankle is still annoying me.

I know that my HR during my easy runs is above what she says should be your "absolute maximum"

And where did she come up with this "absolute maximum" value? I've worked with runners whose easy runs are in the 150-160s, long runs in the 170s, HM Tempos in the 180-190s. I once coached a guy that had a maxHR in the 200s, and it wasn't because he wasn't fit. To me, it depends on where your resting HR and max HR are. I don't believe there is a maximum, but rather it's relative to your own personal min and max HR values. But out of curiosity, what was the value she quoted and her reasoning for it?

-you should have already been running/training for a minimum of a YEAR (fitness base, bone density, etc) she also talked a lot about easy runs, running slowly, all of the things that get talked about in here, so none of that was new.
-you should be running 20-30mi/week for a minimum of 6 MONTHS

Certainly having a base of training prior is important. But if you do the other things (easy runs, slow running, follow the training plan, etc.), then I think that'll put you that much closer to being able to run a marathon in less than a year's time and do it in a healthy manner. If that's truly what you want.

And I'm not quite sure whether you need to be doing at least 20-30 mi/week for 6 months prior to starting marathon training. Heck, I've trained runners to run a marathon (and Dopey) on peak weeks of 20.5 miles (4:49 hours), 31 miles (8 hours), 35 miles (7:25 hours), 35 miles (5:26 hours), 36 miles (7:45 hours), and a ton at 36-41 miles (and that's just looking back in the recent past). So by the time you've done 20-30 mi/week for 6 months you could already be marathon ready prior to even starting the marathon training cycle.

I attached a bunch of plans so that you can see it is definitely possible to run a marathon on 20-30 miles of previous training. And the plans are from people who had a similar (not the same) fitness level to yourself. This is not an exhaustive search either. I found these plans in a short time of looking through some. So there are plenty more examples. These runners finished their marathons comfortably and with a smile, and to my knowledge none of them suffered stress fractures or any other injury.

It seemed a like a conservative take on things. But it also made a lot of SENSE. But also SO conservative. And because of where I live, if I don't "DO IT" (a full) this year, I will be putting it off for an entire year because I'm not going to train for a spring full on my treadmill all winter, while I have 4 different basketball schedules to deal with AND a 2.5 year old that won't be taking 3-4 hour naps. That's definitely out of the question.

And if MW happens and I somehow get a registration, but I train for the half instead of the full for october, is 2 months really enough to get from "trained for a half" to "trained for a full"? I'm guessing no? And then I'll be back to square one for a training plan to make THAT work, and fitting it around all of our summer stuff in order to DO the training. Basically my brain has come up with all the reasons why this will be "too hard" and a "bad idea" and leap-frogged all over those things.

And I'm pretty sure freaking out that this is normal at this point?

It's certainly normal to feel this way. A marathon can feel like a tall task or huge endeavor. But with a good training plan and an honest assessment of what your availability can be throughout the plan, then you'll be in a good place come time to run a marathon in October if you really wanted to. But only if you really want to and if you can find the time to train for it.

If you run a HM in October and then want to run the M in Jan 2022, you'd have plenty of time to prepare for it. You could take two different approaches for it. You could switch the HM in Oct to a "B" race (thus making your M plan absorb it along the way), or you could try a ramp down/up towards the marathon to make both "A" races. Either is doable, but in your case the first option is probably better.

Attachments

• Chaitali M 2018_10_25.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Melanie Goofy Training Plan 2016_09_27.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Melanie Dopey 2017_09_02.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 1
  • Melanie M 2018_09_29.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Lesley Dopey 2018_09_22.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sarah PrincessMickey Dopey 2018_09_15.pdf
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Jackie Dopey 2018_08_21.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 2
Yeah she didn't say where she was coming up with the HR values, but she was all, "Your EASY run HR is NOT in the 160s. It's not. You just don't know what an easy run is supposed to feel like. You should NOT be above 150 for an easy run."

I can attest to the success of a @DopeyBadger plan in getting you across the finish line comfortably. I never ran a marathon before and had a mental block at achieving that distance. I also had the mental block that I am turning 50 and my ability to be in shape for such a task was impossible.

As for the the HR item, I will let you know I use my Garmin to measure my HR and even on my slow runs my HR is a lot higher than what I have read online. Mine was always in the high 140s/low 150's. I also got caught in the trap at looking at other peoples VO2 max numbers and became frustrated that mine never really improved over the training plan. As mentioned, it is unique to each individual.

Here is what I ended up running over my plan. I am sure I was pushed to run further and more than I thought even possible, but that is part of the mental game a coach brings to a plan. I can also tell you I was definitely not running 5 days a week and definitely not hitting 20-30 miles a week before I started my plan. I have had previous injury issues which I believe were related to me not knowing how to run, not mixing up my speeds and for sure not slowing down in my runs! I can also tell you I needed more time to ramp up the miles because mentally I believe I was too old and would get injured.

Dopey minus 20 = 21.17 miles and 3:47:49​
Dopey minus 19 = 31.12 miles and 5:01:02​
Dopey minus 18 = 28.73 miles and 4:34:11​
Dopey minus 17 = 32.23 miles and 5:08:42​
Dopey minus 16 = 32.37 miles and 5:09:13​
Dopey minus 15 = 32.14 miles and 5:05:08​
Dopey minus 14 = 33.17 miles and 5:09:26​
Dopey minus 13 = 27.06 miles and 4:19:01​
Dopey minus 12 = 32.57 miles and 5:07:48​
Dopey minus 11 = 42.81 miles and 6:49:10​
Dopey minus 10 = 38.42 miles and 6:00:32​
Dopey minus 09 = 41.50 miles and 6:39:00​
Dopey minus 08 = 36.88 miles and 5:51:20​
Dopey minus 07 = 44.02 miles and 6:59:36​
Dopey minus 06 = 39.64 miles and 6:17:57​
Dopey minus 05 = 49.61 miles and 7:49:16​
Dopey minus 04 = 43.64 miles and 6:56:56​
Dopey minus 03 = 52.13 miles and 8:24:20​
Dopey minus 02 = 38.28 miles and 6:02:09​
Dopey minus 01 = 33.99 miles and 5:24:15​
Dopey week oo = 50.84 miles and 07:58:26​

The last 20 weeks do fit in the greater than 20 range, but before that, I was rarely hitting 20 and it was only 3 days a week.

...trust in the @DopeyBadger ... you got this!

I am dying to know what podcast you were listening to! (I have a suspicion.)

There's a great excerpt in Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Big Magic" where she talks about the difference between men and women applying for jobs. These are generalizations, of course, but in it she says that often a woman will look at a job description and feel she needs every single one of the job prerequisites before she even considers applying, and a man will look at a job description and think, "I'm 30 percent qualified for this job...I'll apply!"

I think of that all the time whenever I feel like I'm not ready or qualified to do something, and I think it can be applied to this as well. Obviously you want to be responsible and listen to your body when you feel "uh-oh" pain vs. muscle fatigue and discomfort. But if you are following a training plan you trust and getting at least 80 percent of the runs/workouts in--and importantly, not skipping strength and core exercises (even though bridges totally suck)--you will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah she didn't say where she was coming up with the HR values, but she was all, "Your EASY run HR is NOT in the 160s. It's not. You just don't know what an easy run is supposed to feel like. You should NOT be above 150 for an easy run."

I can understand where the author is coming from. It will be a correct statement for many, but not all. It's those on the fringes that may end up being misled. But I think where she's coming from, is that most people don't know what truly easy pace feels like. And that's where having a good pacing scheme based on your current fitness is helpful.

Like based on your 32:25 5k PR in April 2021:

Easy is 13:20-14:20 under the same conditions. As it gets hotter, that pace will get slower.

Or the paces from our July 2020 conversation. I don't remember what race this was based on. A mile time trial perhaps?

But this would say easy is 13:00-14:00 pace.

I'm confident that if you run a 32:25 5k and a 9:17 mile, and then run your easy paces in the 12:30-14:30 pace range under similar conditions, then you're close to easy regardless of whatever your HR is.

With that being said, back in the day I used to run with a stroller as well and found my effort to pace was off by about 45-60 sec/mile. So if you do a mile time trial in 9:17 without a stroller, and then do your easy runs with a stroller, you're probably looking at 13:15-14:45 pace as your new easy without any temp adjustments.

What the podcast author is probably more likely to refer to is that when someone's capable of doing a 9:17 mile, they'll feel as if easy pace is around 10:30-11:00. The research shows most people gravitate towards LT to HMT as their "easy" pace on a daily basis when left to their own accord. It's a pace that's manageable in training from 30-75 min depending on how little you're training, but in the grand scheme becomes more like a "PR the day" mindset and isn't truly easy.

I really appreciate the training references, the reassurance, and the gut-check around my mid-week nerves. I really do tend to over-think things and have everything lined up just so when I'm contemplating a bigger event (training, trips, large purchases, etc) and sometimes I get a little too invested in the "what-ifs."

Weekly Wrap Up:

Monday: a 1 hour run (got started later than I wanted, and had to stop about a mile and a half "early" to get to baseball)

Tuesday: 3 miles after coaching baseball practice, while DS3 was at HIS practice, also a good way to avoid volunteering to coach during the summer.....some other people need to start stepping up for this stuff.

Wednesday: 5 miles on the treadmill (and the mini freak out)

Thursday: missed my 3mi run, went to DS1's baseball games

Friday: off day, away game for DS2's baseball team (the team I help coach)

Saturday: didn't run again

Sunday: FIRST EVER DOUBLE DIGIT RUN IN THE BOOKS! :cheer2: 🤩 🥳 Talked DH into taking all of the kids to a nearby park so they could play a little baseball and play on the playground, etc. I warned him in advance that it would be a little over 2 hours of me running. I ran the first 3 with the baby in the stroller, and then passed her off to the boys for the remainder of the time. It ended up be 2:35:31 for 11 miles, and I did throw in some intervals after mile 5, and walked half if mile 9 (talking with a mom I sort of know, whose dog was desperate to chase me when I initially ran past her) and all of mile 11. I developed at least 1 blister, another new milestone, and now know for-sure that socks are not the problem with my 1080s since I wore my other thinner socks and still had the same toe-pressure issue. It didn't bother me at all until mile 6, and mostly went away at mile 9 (or I just was able to ignore it?) Also my VO2Max went up today by 1 point. So lots and lots of things happened. Experimented with more fuel options: cliff blocks with caffeine in the car on the way to the park, and then a "birthday cake" gu at around the 1 hour mark. This tastes exactly like store-bought rainbow chip frosting. Will be buying again.

I was REALLY TIRED at the end of my run, but not out of breath, my form wasn't horrible (I think?), and I definitely could have gone further. Pace averaged out to 14:07, which I'm completely OK with when I consider the stroller time and the mile and a half I spent walking.

2 weeks until race day, and after today I'm SURE I'll be able to finish. How quickly is still a giant question mark, but the point for this race is just to do it, finish it, and have a good run.

Threw BP for an hour last night and at the end I turned to throw a hit ball to 3rd and whatever I messed up in my ankle a couple weeks ago when I *didnt* roll it is re-aggravated.

I had planned on running wed-fri this week, taking Saturday off (because we are camping) and doing 12 mi on Sunday...and now I don’t know what to do. I limped around on it all night last night (and didn’t do my 3mi run) and most of the swelling is gone today, I’m not limping, but it’s still unhappy if I flex my foot too far (pointing my toes, pushing off the ball of my foot hard when walking upstairs, etc.) Today is supposed to be 5 miles, tomorrow 3 miles, and Sunday 12 miles. If I take this whole week off my race next Sunday is going to be AWFUL.

Threw BP for an hour last night and at the end I turned to throw a hit ball to 3rd and whatever I messed up in my ankle a couple weeks ago when I *didnt* roll it is re-aggravated.

I had planned on running wed-fri this week, taking Saturday off (because we are camping) and doing 12 mi on Sunday...and now I don’t know what to do. I limped around on it all night last night (and didn’t do my 3mi run) and most of the swelling is gone today, I’m not limping, but it’s still unhappy if I flex my foot too far (pointing my toes, pushing off the ball of my foot hard when walking upstairs, etc.) Today is supposed to be 5 miles, tomorrow 3 miles, and Sunday 12 miles. If I take this whole week off my race next Sunday is going to be AWFUL.

Ugh! I'm sorry you're dealing with ankle pain. Trust me, I know how it feels.

Your race is in 10 days. At this point, most coaches would agree that the hay is in the barn. You're almost to the point where everything you've done in training is what you got, and everything you do in the last 10 days of training won't be fully realized from a physiological standpoint by race day.

About 4 days ago, you ran 11 miles. So you've answered the question of whether you can do 13.11 miles with a resounding yes. All will not be lost by taking a few days off here at the tail end of training if it means that you can run ankle pain free. According to Daniels, it takes at least five consecutive days off before you see any change in fitness levels. And even after five days, the rate of decay on fitness is slower than you think.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 12.03.49 PM.png

So consider seeing a physician to get a medical professional's opinion. But from an endurance perspective, you'll be more than fine running 13.11 miles in 10 days time even if you could only get in a few 20-30 min runs next week. You won't be at peak fitness, but you'll be reasonably close to where you were on 5/16 when you ran 11 miles.

That's my two cents for what it's worth.

Adding my 2 cents. My marathon/dopey is one of the ones @DopeyBadger posted. My longest run was only 10.5 miles. It was one of those really hot years and even with that I had no problems/no pain in finishing.

As for the HR, there’s other factors to look at when looking at HR including weather and other stresses in life. For example I just looked at my HR for the last 2 days. Yesterday, my run was EA pace for 4 miles, my highest HR was 156. Today’s run was EB so slightly faster, for 6 miles and my highest HR was 147. Today was 5 degrees cooler and cloudy where yesterday was full sun.

When I first started running I never thought I could run a marathon. I’m running my first ultra in 3 weeks.

You can definitely run a marathon if you want to, you’ve got this!!!

Weekly wrap up:

I did no runs after my 11 miles last Sunday. My ankle continues to randomly twinge when i do normal day-to-day stuff (usually something that involves twisting) but it's a TWINGE and not really that painful. Light mileage is planned for this week and race day is Sunday. And since running doesn't involve twisting, hopefully it's fine. Went to the Chiropractor on Friday and my hips were sooooo out of alignment. I was hoping that getting those back in place would eliminate the ankle issue, but it didn't. There's no swelling, it doesn't hurt when I poke at it, no bruising, nothing that my PCP would look at and say "oh it's probably this" so I'm not planning a visit to see her at this point. I have to have a referral for PT, so that's also not an option.

We did go camping this weekend, and the baby had an awful time. (This does wind around to being running-related.) Sleep was SO SO BAD, and while I feel a little bad, I'm glad it was so awful because DH really has it stuck in his head to go camping THIS weekend since it's his birthday and a holiday weekend. Because the baby slept so awful and we were both exhausted, I managed to convince him to have all of us come home for the night before the race so we can actually sleep (mostly for me since he basically did no training and is "only" doing the 10k) and the baby won't be so off her game when she wakes up in the morning while we are at the race (having teenagers is the BEST because they can babysit.)

Looking forward to race-day, it looks like there's a chance the nighttime temps could get all the way down into the upper 30s/low 40s which will make things interesting as I don't really like running in the "cold."

Weekly wrap up! 19.3miles total.

No training runs happened during the week. I ended up picking up some K-tape when I was grocery shopping and googled around for various ankle-related taping and found one that sounded promising based on the issues I was having. Wore that from Thursday-Saturday night and I had no issues with my ankle for those three days. DH and his brother set up the campers on Thursday night (to beat the crowds of people as it was a state forest campground and is first come for sites) and we camped Friday night, came home Saturday after dinner, went to the race on Sunday, back to the campground, camped Sunday night and came home today. It was FREEZING (literally) at night, and just about perfect temperatures during the day. SIL and I did our Princess weekend 10k on Saturday (she did hers at home on the treadmill and I broke mine up into 3 parts....5k during DS3's baseball practice, 1mi while dinner was cooking, and 2.1mi on the treadmill while DH put the baby to bed on Saturday. I walked all of it, and managed to average out to just under a 17min/mi, which is fast enough to stay in front of the balloon ladies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter