Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there 4/30-5/7 and did not get sick. I was super concerned about covid (see my post history lol) leading up to the trip and planned to always mask when indoors, but that was pretty much all thrown out the window when we arrived. In the end, aside from the airport/plane both ways, we never wore masks. We ate out every single night, but we also limited park/line time and pretty much never waited in a line that we didn't have a Genie+ for, did a small amount of shopping in uncrowded stores, and never took busses that had more than like, 8 other people on them. Miraculously we never got sick and I tested multiple times last week, all negative.

We were there in end of April 2021 and then November 2021. Half vaccinated and half not allways mask except 1 inside dining everyday. No one caught it because we were always following mask and hand washing/ distance protocols. Amazing how effective that was compared to what’s being reported on this thread for this year. Going it a few weeks , should be interesting.

We just got back Thursday this past week (May 15-19th) - no symptoms - tested twice since our return and both of us are negative. We were at all parks, ADRs every evening and even on two separate tours at AK and MK.

Got back Thursday, tested positive yesterday (Saturday). We all had symptoms our last day.

Eta: we are vaxxed and boosted, second bout of covid but first was before vax available

Last edited by a moderator:
We were there 5/4-5/8. 6 Adults all vaxxed and boosted. DH and I wore mask in crowds, anytime indoors, on all transportation. The other 4 adults (my 70+ year old parents and my sister and brother-in-law) did not wear masks. DH and I were fine upon returning. My dad got sick about 5 days later but insists it was "allergies". About 4 days after that he tested once at home but said it was negative.

We just got back from a week at WDW and all of us fell sick and tested positive for covid. We were all vaccinated and boosted. So far only mild symptoms.

I spent a week at Disney World from April 28th thru May 5th with my 10 family members. Hit every park and most of the time two in one day. We arrived home late that night. By the next morning
most of us were feeling ill. Concerned, we all took Covid rapid home tests and it turns out that 5 of the 10 tested positive. I am just curious if any other of the tens of thousands that were there experienced the same situation.

Yep, thanks for spreading it to my entire family. We were all feeling fine before we stood behind you in line at Dumbo. You ruined the rest of our vacation pal!

We were there May 1-15. DH had to leave the park early on the 14th, our last park day due to not feeling well. He went to CVS the next day for a PCR test. We headed home and he used one of the test kits we had there and was positive. He was really bad at hat point and was able to get the monoclonal antibody treatment that same day. The rest of us tested negative so we isolated him. By the next day I was showing symptoms and tested positive also. Got my antibody treatment that same day. The kids and grandkids are starting now with different mild symptoms of sore throats and fevers. They are just self medicating for each symptom. But pretty sure all 6 of us got it.
I'm just curious if the monoclonal antibody treatment helped you and your husband. We do not have it readily available where I live. In fact, I don't even know if you can get it at all. It was never easy to get even when it was more "popular." You had to get a lot of permission and doctor sign-offs to get approved for it.

Most of the monoclonals don't work vs Omicron, but a couple may have positive results - Bebtelovimab for one - and they do still get used to a lesser extent. If you qualify (over 65 or high risk), Paxlovid seems to be the first option for many now. The lack of readily available treatment options is incredibly disappointing 2 years+ in. Shionogi, out of Japan, does have an OTC pill in later phase trials.

My friend got the monoclonal antibodies and...now she has pneumonia :/ She's only in her 40s and Covid hit her hard and fast. She went from being fine to dangerously low oxygen levels hours later.

I was there solo 5/9 - 5/13. Came home, felt okay until 2 days later. tested positive the next day. sick all last week. I didn't wear a mask at all. When I go back, I'll be wearing them on the buses, monorails, or crowded situations.

One week out and just getting out of quarantine. I am doing well, my wife who also suffers from MS is feeling overly tired all the time. My one daughter is suffering with upper respiratory, lucky her girls and husband are fine. And the rest of the family is copping. Lucky we flew home before the symptoms set in.
so sorry it happened to you too. Your symptoms matched what mine were exactly. It took me about 6 days to feel better.

We were there May 2-10th. As soon as we got back to the airport on the way home, my throat was very scratchy. We all tested negative though, several times. I ended up just having a cough, no other symptoms and tested neg 3 times, including a lab test. We're all vaxed, except for my 18mo old, but I'm surprised we didn't catch it. We tried to keep our distance from people, but there were a bunch of times people were coughing/sneezing walking by.

Three trips to WDW during COVID:

January 2021 when masking and distancing were being heavily enforced by Disney, none of us got sick (btw, LOVED the distancing while being in line and not having people constantly bumping into you!). Did not do indoor dining. KN95s worn from leaving to returning home.

May 2021, our 2nd day there was when Disney dropped the mandatory masking. We continued to mask, did not do indoor dining. KN95's worn when waiting in lines, but taken off when walking in open areas.

January 2022. Masked in crowded areas & indoor queues. Indoor dining 2x.

Planning to leave Thursday (May 19) for long weekend trip. Notified this morning that family members at birthday party on Sunday tested positive today. I didn't go to party because I was in day 3 of a bad cold (tested neg 3x over that time for COVID) but did quarantine from rest of family with trip upcoming just in case of false negative test. Am going to test kids today, but unsure what to do regarding trip. If they test positive it likely wouldn't be until after we're in Disney.

This is where I have a dilemma. If they test positive, we're not going to the parks as I wouldn't want them to infect anyone else. Even if they don't, because we've been exposed we will wear masks as much as possible. Of course, this is where I stop and think -- am I limiting what we do to protect people who aren't vaccinated and/or taking precautions by wearing a mask? I know what I SHOULD do and that is mitigate the risk of infecting someone else. The frustration is that not everyone would do the same for us.

How did it go? If anyone in your group was sick, staying home would be the responsible thing to do but if no one showed signs of illness, I think you'd be fine going to the parks.
We are all probably exposed to someone who was in contact with a person with COVID or has COVID and doesn't know it in our daily lives (grocery store, school, etc.) We can't stop living because it's a possibility we might get sick, not at this stage of the pandemic.

I've done my due diligence and gotten vaccinated and practiced safe hygiene but at some point I had to just live my life.

May 2021 - Was fully vaccinated (as it was considered at the time) and wore masks indoors and outdoors. It was rough but none of us got sick.
Jan 2022 - Fully vaccinated (with booster) and only wore masks indoors at stores and attractions. We did multiple indoor dining. My sister got sick second to last day but felt better on our last day, tested negative for COVID. No one else (group of 9) got sick.

Last edited:
We went 5/7-5/14, no indoor dining. Masks only in busy places. None of us caught Covid or came down with symptoms but two day later my 3 year old woke up with a croup cough anc we took him to the ER. By the end of the week my husband and I were also very sick. Tested negative for Covid and the flu. There was a lady hacking terribly on our flight home, I know I can’t say for sure but I’m pretty sure her family spread this.

Three trips to WDW during COVID:

January 2021 when masking and distancing were being heavily enforced by Disney, none of us got sick (btw, LOVED the distancing while being in line and not having people constantly bumping into you!). Did not do indoor dining. KN95s worn from leaving to returning home.

May 2021, our 2nd day there was when Disney dropped the mandatory masking. We continued to mask, did not do indoor dining. KN95's worn when waiting in lines, but taken off when walking in open areas.

January 2022. Masked in crowded areas & indoor queues. Indoor dining 2x.

Planning to leave Thursday (May 19) for long weekend trip. Notified this morning that family members at birthday party on Sunday tested positive today. I didn't go to party because I was in day 3 of a bad cold (tested neg 3x over that time for COVID) but did quarantine from rest of family with trip upcoming just in case of false negative test. Am going to test kids today, but unsure what to do regarding trip. If they test positive it likely wouldn't be until after we're in Disney.

This is where I have a dilemma. If they test positive, we're not going to the parks as I wouldn't want them to infect anyone else. Even if they don't, because we've been exposed we will wear masks as much as possible. Of course, this is where I stop and think -- am I limiting what we do to protect people who aren't vaccinated and/or taking precautions by wearing a mask? I know what I SHOULD do and that is mitigate the risk of infecting someone else. The frustration is that not everyone would do the same for us.
It is frustrating others won't do what they should. Please do what you know you should do. Remember, the vaccine is still not an option for everyone. 4 of my 6 member household do not have a choice to get vaccinated. One can not wear a mask (12 months old). Only I have been fit tested. And high quality effective masks are not available for children.

It is frustrating others won't do what they should. Please do what you know you should do. Remember, the vaccine is still not an option for everyone. 4 of my 6 member household do not have a choice to get vaccinated. One can not wear a mask (12 months old). Only I have been fit tested. And high quality effective masks are not available for children.
You can get the KN95 masks for kids. They’re a step up from basic ones. Of course the best mask is one they can tolerate the best. I bought a box of colorful KN95s for my DGSs to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter