Covid-19 closer to "home" than I'd anticipated...

Coronavirus is here and has been for a while. Numbers will continue to increase with more widespread testing. Please continue to keep calm, wash your hands..use common sense and extra precautions if you are at higher risk for complications or sick.

I think there are many many many more cases. Younger healthy people would most likely not go to the dr. if they got coronavirus. They would recuperate then go on with their lives.
IProbably infecting people along the way, never knowing they had it. It's like the flu, you would not know you had it unless you were tested for it.

The media is making everyone crazy with the dramatics. "Breaking news!!! There is a case of coronavirus in PHOENIX (or Boston, or NY, or Dallas)!!!" Then everyone living around Phoenix starts to panic. "OMG I live 20 mins from Phoenix!" When in reality there are probably many cases in and around Phoenix and every other city. Soon it will probably be way too common to be able to track it.

This is what I think too. We are naive to think it isn't out there. People travel freely, etc. and we have not been testing. Right now every headline is trying to track a single source to Italy, to China to a cruise ship I think we are close to there being so many infections you don't really know where it is coming from.

I'm not worrying any more than I do about the flu. For the most part, for normal healthy people, this is no worst than the flu. I am worried far more about the effects of the wide spread panic on the economy than I am the actual virus.
I worry about my lL’s in their 90’s, the economy, spring sports, SAT’s being cancelled, kids having to be schooled online, running out of necessities (no hand sanitize here), formal and prom getting cancelled...

I just want ordinary day to day to stay. Our town’s history fair was cancelled.

It's NOT the flu!
I don't think anyone said it WAS. However as I said, for normal healthy people, the symptoms and seriousness aren't of Covid-19 are not any worse than the flu. There is a ton of misinformation out there causing mass panic that isn't necessary. Take the exact same precautions you would if there was a flu epidemic going around. The same group of people who are most likely to become seriously ill from this are the same group that would be at risk for flu complications.

I think there are many many many more cases. Younger healthy people would most likely not go to the dr. if they got coronavirus. They would recuperate then go on with their lives. Probably infecting people along the way, never knowing they had it. It's like the flu, you would not know you had it unless you were tested for it.

The media is making everyone crazy with the dramatics. "Breaking news!!! There is a case of coronavirus in PHOENIX (or Boston, or NY, or Dallas)!!!" Then everyone living around Phoenix starts to panic. "OMG I live 20 mins from Phoenix!" When in reality there are probably many cases in and around Phoenix and every other city. Soon it will probably be way too common to be able to track it.
Unfortunately, the fear and panic created online and by the media could be worse than the Coronavirus. Mob mentality is dangerous.

Just got closer. First case in Louisiana is here in Nola area & at the hospital where my sister is a nurse.

Two weeks ago, DD came home with a nasty bug. She was quite sick for about four days with a sore throat, cough and fever. A week ago Saturday, I started feeling bad. It hit me quickly. The same symptoms as DD. I had an appointment with my oncologist that Monday and she put me on 875 mg Amoxicillin as a preventative since I am undergoing chemo treatments. Unfortunately, I just seemed to get worse. Last Tuesday, she switched me to a z-pack. On Wednesday, my sister took me to the clinic because I was having breathing issues. It turned out that my oxygen level was quite low. So, now I am also on a steroid trying to get over bronchitis.

I must admit that I am very nervous over the corona virus. Considering my current state and how hard a time I've had with this other bug, I think I could be in big trouble. I am staying home as much as possible, but I have family that come and go. Not great timing for this thing on my part.

Two weeks ago, DD came home with a nasty bug. She was quite sick for about four days with a sore throat, cough and fever. A week ago Saturday, I started feeling bad. It hit me quickly. The same symptoms as DD. I had an appointment with my oncologist that Monday and she put me on 875 mg Amoxicillin as a preventative since I am undergoing chemo treatments. Unfortunately, I just seemed to get worse. Last Tuesday, she switched me to a z-pack. On Wednesday, my sister took me to the clinic because I was having breathing issues. It turned out that my oxygen level was quite low. So, now I am also on a steroid trying to get over bronchitis.

I must admit that I am very nervous over the corona virus. Considering my current state and how hard a time I've had with this other bug, I think I could be in big trouble. I am staying home as much as possible, but I have family that come and go. Not great timing for this thing on my part.

Have you requested to be tested?

Did they swab you for regular influenza? Much much much greater chance it was that than covid-19.

Its perfectly understandable for you to be worried. You fall into one of the at risk categories. I'm just saying the general uproar and panic over this is going to cause more problems than just illness. The stock market is already showing it. The travel industry is suffering from it, understandably so. But all of these things have a domino effect. When parents lose jobs, because they can't go to work bc there's no school and they have to stay home with kids and they lose their house, what happens then? And that's just the tip of the iceberg of the economic impact something like this can have. Its totally scary if you or a loved one is one facing a bigger risk from this and I empathize with that, but people calling for total shut downs of schools and events will have a bigger impact than people imagine.

Yes, this is not the flu, but remember 10's of millions of Americans have gotten the flu just this season, almost 10's of thousands dead, again just this season, and yet the media never talks about it. Why don't they tell us every day how many people got the flu that day and where? Why no running tallies? In no way am I saying COVID-19 isn't serious, but I think this is just another of many viruses you can get. For the majority of us, it will be fine, it's always the elderly and immune compromised that are at risk, this is nothing new. If anything, maybe people will continue to wash their hands after this blows over. It amazes me how many people never washed their hands after using a public restroom or before they eat.

And just got even closer. Sister had contact with woman in er Friday. I haven’t been around my sister since Friday but still worried about her. And woman is in her 40s & very ill so if she doesn’t have underlying health conditions then that’s scary.

Yes, this is not the flu, but remember 10's of millions of Americans have gotten the flu just this season, almost 10's of thousands dead, again just this season, and yet the media never talks about it. Why don't they tell us every day how many people got the flu that day and where? Why no running tallies? In no way am I saying COVID-19 isn't serious, but I think this is just another of many viruses you can get. For the majority of us, it will be fine, it's always the elderly and immune compromised that are at risk, this is nothing new. If anything, maybe people will continue to wash their hands after this blows over. It amazes me how many people never washed their hands after using a public restroom or before they eat.
Ppl keep saying for “the majority of us it’ll be fine”, but I think that’s still the unknown that has ppl panicking.

Ppl keep saying for “the majority of us it’ll be fine”, but I think that’s still the unknown that has ppl panicking.

Totally agree, it's the devil you know (flu) versus the devil you don't know (corona virus). I have to think with advancements in treatment, even with the unknown of this virus, most will be okay. Will young healthy people die, yes, but young healthy people die of the flu too. Bottom line, wash your hands, don't touch your face. Again, things we should always be doing, even before all of this.

Great - just saw that our state will no longer release the county name of patient locations going forward, only the region/metro area, citing doctor/patient confidentiality.

I hope your all’s state doesn’t pull this nonsense

Great - just saw that our state will no longer release the county name of patient locations going forward, only the region/metro area, citing doctor/patient confidentiality.

I hope your all’s state doesn’t pull this nonsense

I don't get how that invades privacy, unless you live in a town of 10 I guess. I live in a town of 25,000. I can tell you knowing the age and sex of someone is not going to narrow it down for me.

The "panic" is that you have to pay attention to the epidemiology and potential for a pandemic. You have to look at the case-fatality rate, which is the number of deaths divided by the number of cases (multiplied by 100, to give a percent). Mortality rate is the number of deaths over the total population (once again X 100).
For example, 40 deaths among 4,000 cases is the CFR of 1.0%. If the population was 4 million, that’s a MR of 1 per 100,000 or 0.01%. Here is a list of the case-fatality rates for some more-commonly known viruses/infections:

Seasonal flu: CFR 0.1–0.2%
1918 flu: CFR 2.5%
SARS: CFR 10–11%
MERS: CFR 34%
EBOLA: CFR 25–95%
Rabies: CFR 100%
Thus far, COVID19 appears to be 2–3%, similar to the Spanish flu of 1918, which killed the most people during a single outbreak (pandemic) in history.

The R0 ("R-naught") is also of concern. It is basically the virus's reproductive ability and describes how many people one infected person will infect. Covid-19 seems to have an R0 of between 1.2-4, meaning that 5 infected people will infect somewhere between 6 and 20 people. For comparison, SARS had an R0 of between 2 to 5.

Basically, if COVID19 spreads globally, it could equal or exceed the deaths due to the 1918 influenza, and THAT's what all the hype is about.

(Sources: https://www.popsci.com/story/health/how-diseases-spread/
and https://vitals.lifehacker.com/what-is-the-coronaviruss-r0-and-why-does-it-matter-1841264885)

I'm supposed to be grading lab reports... can you see why I'm called the Queen of Procrastination?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter