• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couple ??'s

mtkat

Earning My Ears
First of all I would like to say that this is my first post on the boards, though I have been reading them for a while. I just have some questions regarding tent camping at FW. My husband and I love tent camping but he is really worried about having our stuff stolen from our tent while we are at the parks. What can I tell him to ease his mind? What do you do with your things while you are at the parks? Also is it cold to sleep in the tent in Dec.? We are from the East (originally)and cold weather doesn't bother us but I would like to be prepared.

Thanks to all who respond.

Hi mtkat! We tent camped for years at FW, and never had a problem with anything being stolen. We just normally would lock up anything of value in the car. We've never tent camped at FW in December, but if you want to see the average temps. from past years you can go to Weatherchannel.com and it gives highs, lows, etc. for any given month. It even will show you the average for a specfic day or week. Hope this helps, and that you have a great trip! :D

the last time we went in the beginning of Dec it was a cold snap and went down to 35 for one night..a bit nippy in the tent! if you have warm sleeping bags and warm jammies or sweats and maybe throw in a stocking cap just in case(seriously) you should be ok. we've camped there other times at the same general time of year with no problem but you do need to be prepared for what ever the weather may be.... from 80 to 35! forewarned is forearmed!

Thanks for your help. My husband is from a big city where they lock everything and I am from a small town where we left almost everything unlocked. Is there security at the camp ground?

yes and new from the last time we were there, you nownot only have to use your resort key to get onto FW but to use the "comfort stations" at night as well (good Idea in my opinion)

As everyone else has said, if you have a car, lock anything of value in the car.

One trip I tent camped and did not have a car at Ft. Wilderness. I did the following:

I did not bring any valuables that I didn't bring to the parks. All I had was money, credit cards, cell phone, and a small camera.

I had two tents with me on that trip. One tent I slept in and the other tent stored my toiletries, clothes, etc..

On the tent with my gear, I put a small lock through the zipper pulls to secure that, and also had a lock on my duffle bag inside the tent. That way if someone wanted to take anything, they would have to cut the tent and cut the duffle bag to get to it. A lot more time consuming and more obvious that just picking something up or opening a zipper.

On the tent I slept in, which only had my "bed," an alarm clock, and my cell phone charger, I didn't even bother locking that. Outside my tent my chair was out in the open the entire time.

Nothing was ever bothered.

Hope this helps.

Carol

I agree with all the above posters. We've camped at FW many times and have never had a problem.

We've left coolers full of food and drinks outside. Other than racoons trying to have a snack, nothing has ever been bothered.

We were there last December (although not in a tent, but an RV) and it was cold. We wore jeans and fleece sweatshirts the entire time. My SIL, who lives near Disney said it was unusually cold though.

After reading part of the security thing, my DW wanted me to ask you dis camping vets, is there security safes at the medows or anyplace else at FW? Thanks. :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Yes, they have safes at the Reception Outpost where you can have valuables locked up. I don't know if they are individual safes or a common vault, but they are available.

Carol

We used the safety deposit boxes at the outpost when we tent camped last October. We put traveller's cheques in there and an extra set of keys to the car. We also locked valuables in car and left rest of stuff in tent.

I didn't know that was available either..do you remember what hrs. it is ..do you have to go at certain times to get your things I mean.
Thanks

I think it must be available at all hours. I just went to the inside where you would check in and the boxes are right behind the desk.

We have never had a problem with anything ever missing, except for those birds that liked the bread we left on the table ... stupid us.... We went last year in Dec. it was nice during the day, very cool at night... a few rain showers during the day so make sure you keep stuff away from the side of your tent and if possible you may want to use those plastic containers.

Have a great trip, we are going the first week in Dec. maybe we will see ya there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter