Could this be a possibility with future DVC resale contracts?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Is it rational to think that in a few years that all DVC resale contracts will come with the restriction to have the option of only staying at the resort it is titled to? Say if for some reason I wanted to sell my 40 point contract at OKW, then whom ever buys it could only use it there at OKW, even though I had the ability to use it at any DVC property while I owned it.

This would greatly drop the value of some DVC contracts, correct?

Interesting idea. I could see that as being an incentive to only buy direct from them. However the pricing of direct is still not affordable for everyone to get and resale is.

No. It is very difficult to rewrite the O14 that way. It involves the terms by which they belong to Buena Vista Trading.

Not easily done and easily legally challenged.

I think we will all be limited to staying at our home resort in the last year of so of the contracts.

I doubt it will happen or else it would have happened already. Like _auroraborealis_ said, they probably already explored the legality of it already, and decided they couldn't, that's why we ended up with Riveria and future DVC resorts being the way it is along with the O14 being the way it is.

My brother owns at Marriott. He said that if you buy resale at Marriott you can only stay at that one resort. You don't have any opportunities to trade into the other resorts.

They would have done that right now if they could of. I don't think legally they can make that change to the original 14 resorts. Doesn't mean they might not try it at some point and then count on it not being challenged in court. All for the benefit of members of course!

My brother owns at Marriott. He said that if you buy resale at Marriott you can only stay at that one resort. You don't have any opportunities to trade into the other resorts.

Maybe that's why the "other" timeshares (not necessarily Marriott) are pennies on the dollar at resale?

LAX

IMO they can only make that restriction at new resorts like Rivera. At the C14 resorts IMO its not an option. As others noted if they could they would have.
Thing is that most C14 resorts are owned by resale buyers, if they can't trade out, they would need to book their own resort meaning no one else including direct buyers can trade in. What good is a direct contact if you only are able to book your home resort.

Another thing to have in mind is that with new resorts being build we end up soon enough to be unable to trade out at 7 months because sooo many want to switch resort at 7 month so it will become increasingly harder to do it.

IMO they can only make that restriction at new resorts like Rivera. At the C14 resorts IMO its not an option. As others noted if they could they would have.
Thing is that most C14 resorts are owned by resale buyers, if they can't trade out, they would need to book their own resort meaning no one else including direct buyers can trade in. What good is a direct contact if you only are able to book your home resort.

Another thing to have in mind is that with new resorts being build we end up soon enough to be unable to trade out at 7 months because sooo many want to switch resort at 7 month so it will become increasingly harder to do it.

Exactly. Limiting all resale buyers would also restrict direct buyers.

Well they have already have made some restrictions on resales. That being said, I can't see why they would do this. They want people at the resorts and spending money in the parks. Limiting access only hurts them business wise and like others have said the resale market is pretty large market and values would drop if this were to happen. If values drop on the resales market, people buying direct would also question the purchase just in case they ever had to sell.

Good point about them wishing they could do this but obviously can't or they already would have. Thus, the new restrictions on the new DVC. Ya, I bet they looked into trying this a while back but was told that it couldn't happen.

I don't think we will see this type of change until 2042 or so. If you think about it they are organically making it this way anyways. You want a studio you have to own there. Next will be 1br etc. They won't completely do this with L14 because it would kill their ability to sell the "economic" SSR and OKW points to people who want to play the 7 month game to increase perceived value (You can buy these points right now direct for a premium over resale of about $60pp). People do get lucky, but what will become more of a reality is split stays (not a bad thing necessarily) which allows disney to fill in any gaps between longer reservations.

You see it all over this board, buy where you want to stay. Theirs a reason for that, but as someone who knows sales, when you have hope that quickly becomes a benefit. Look at the lottery.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest