• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couch in cabin question

tbuot

DIS Veteran<br><font color=navy>Wishes upon a star
We plan on going to WDW with our children and my divorced parents. They are good friends and often travel together when we vacation. Here's the question...my dad would sleep on the murphy bed and mom on the couch (she is only 4'10" so she should be fine). Is it possible to move the sofa out from it's location so it wouldn't be so close to the murphy bed or is it bolted. I think they are fine being in the same room but that arrangement may be a bit too close for comfort. Thank you!

Never tried to move the couch, but even if you could the only place you could move it to would be the middle of the kitchen ... when the Murphy bed comes down it takes up pretty much all of the free space in the living room ... might be better to let one of the kids bunk with granddad and let grandma sleep in the lower bunk bed.

The couch is not bolted down but as the last poster said, there is no where to move the couch to when the murphy bed is down.

The murphy bed comes right down next to the couch...which is actually a love seat......my 11 year old had a hard time stretching out on it....it might be too short for grandma

Maybe you will want to bring an air matress instead for one of the kids and grandma can sleep on the bunk? There is plenty of room in the kitchen area for the air matress but not in the br. We used a pack n play in the bedroom and had to put it on the top bunk just to get out of the room!

As has already been said, when the Murphy Bed comes down it is litterally up against the couch - there isn't even enough room to walk between the two. There is also no room to move the couch to - its not bolted down. However, one idea -and I have no idea how this would work - would be to move the dining room table and chairs out to the porch (if its raining this doesn't work because the chairs have padding on them) and move the couch over a little into the space that the dining room table and chairs took up. Just know that there is a bench at the table that can't be moved so its not as simple as just sliding the couch out a little.
But, again, the couch is short - I don't think its a love seat but it is definately not a huge couch for someone to lay out on comfortably.
Barring any knife fights between the divorcees, the Murphy Bed is actually quite large. My DH and I sleep on a full at home - any larger of a bed and we have to get separate area codes because we spread out so far - and we felt like we were on a King sized bed when we slept on the Murphy bed. So you can get your own space on it - but they would be in the same bed all the same.

Well...I am undecided. My boys would want to sleep in the bunks. They have them at home. My mom is only 4'10" so that may be small enough for her to sleep on the sofa. I guess I could get an air mattress for her. She would be fine with that. I just thought it would be fun to stay together and we could save some money by having the kitchen.

The other problem with the cabins would be that my parents would be going to sleep before we would and the TV is in the front room. Can it be moved to the bedroom?

You know what - go to www.wdwig.com and check out the FtW links. She has a link to Jeff's page that has tons of photos of the cabins. I can't remember whether or not there still is a TV in the bedroom - there used to be one (and if not, maybe the cable hookup is still there behind the dresser).

I love the cabins, BUT as others have said there is no room in the living room once the Murphy bed is down. There isn't any hookup in the bedroom for the TV. You can see where the cable once ran, but you can't hook anything up there now.

We used the kitchen quite a bit and it was nice having room to spread out.

If you don't have your heart set on Ft Wilderness, you may want to consider a cabin at Tropical Palms Fun Resort. We stayed there last month and it worked out perfectly. We had a two bedroom cabin and there is also a sleep sofa as well as a sleeping loft. I think they sleep 8. There's a kitchen with everything you'd need and it is only around $90.00/night. Of course, it's not FW. But we needed 3 cabins for our family reunion and not everyone could afford to stay at WDW. The tv is also in the living room though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter