COSTUMES NO MORE FOR ADULTS!

priscilla nieves

A little bit of Jasmine..
I was so outraged by the changes that took place today at Disney World I signed up on here today just to write this post. Today Disney installed new metal detectors and banned toy guns. OKAY THAT MAKES SENSE. however another decree was passed down as well that doesnt seem to be getting much attention yet. They now prohibit adults from wearing costumes at any walt disney world theme park! Now you may be saying so what...but honestly UHHH HELLO...SAY GOODBYE TO DAPPER DAYS...so sad. thats a costume. Not only that but imagine you have a 6 year old daughter and as a dad she cones to you and says can you please dress like prince charming to my cinderella...wont it break your heart and hers to say no...??!!? This is DISNEY WORLD...where adults embrace childlike wonder! What wonder is there when you lets the outside harsh realities of the world invade your magic kingdom!! Whats next banning adult performers from costumes too!?! yes im being dramatic but so what.. I didnt become a DVC member for this...booo i say to you Disney booo. this was a horrible decision. Take it back! Whos with me??? Im sending a complaint email to exec offices I urge you to do the same.
guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Dapper Days does not count as a costume. They mean costumes that make you unidentifiable or otherwise have lots of extra fabric that can be used to conceal a weapon (like robes, long dresses, capes, etc.)

And for what it's worth, adults were never allowed to wear costumes UNLESS it was a special party, like the Halloween Party. A grown man dressed up like Prince Charming would have not been permitted into the parks prior to this new rule. Anyone dressed like a Disney face character would be turned away.

Dapper Days does not count as a costume. They mean costumes that make you unidentifiable or otherwise have lots of extra fabric that can be used to conceal a weapon (like robes, long dresses, capes, etc.)

And for what it's worth, adults were never allowed to wear costumes UNLESS it was a special party, like the Halloween Party. A grown man dressed up like Prince Charming would have not been permitted into the parks prior to this new rule. Anyone dressed like a Disney face character would be turned away.

Actually when I called DVC today...it included dapper days. they called guest relations to confirm...

they said only mickeys halloween party would allow adult costumes

Actually it's been posted on many sites and confirmed by a CM on here that went to a meeting this morning that at this moment, the ban includes MNSSHP. But that it's a long way off.

Touring Plans confirmed that at tonight's Christmas Party, no costumes. I know it's not many like Halloween but people do go in costume.

Dapper, while it does appear to be just clothes could be confused with the Dappers in MK and DHS and since it seems that is mostly where the guest Dappers show up .... there lies the conflict.

The rule has always been there for 14 and older and they are just now enforcing it. I'm okay with that on a normal park day. There is no reason for a teen or adult to be wearing a costume. My kids didn't even when they were young, they wore themed tshirts and accessories.

Now I think to take away for MNSSHP - huge blow. I rather we all walk through metal detectors and past the dog brigade to be sniffed than give up costumes.

Last edited:
Actually when I called DVC today...it included dapper days. they called guest relations to confirm...

I thought Dapper Days people just wore regular (albeit dressy) clothes, with a throwback look? There is no way they are going to ban people who are wearing suits and dresses from entering the park on the basis of that being a "costume." Heck, I see people in the parks dressed nicely like that all the time. Disneyland has swing dancing every Friday night at the end of Main Street. Plenty of people wear nicer clothes to participate in that. Women wear dresses and heels frequently. Men wear suits sometimes too. That's not a costume. It's clothes.

I wouldn't take the word of a DVC guest relations person on this.

Dressing up for the parks is considered a costume? Matching t-shirts must be a costume then. can I even wear an unbuttoned flanel shirt or is that a cape? Disney sells dresses that look like costumes in a couple epcot stores, is that ok since they sell it? Hey look, that man looks like he's from 2014, I thought no costumes were allowed? Excuse me security, that lady is wearing a goofy hat, I thought no costumes were allowed..

Disney just lost their mind..

This picture from september means so much more to me now....

Doctor Who.jpg

Last edited:

They are not always correct. And if they don't know, they will not say "I don't know." They will make something up. It happens all the time.

Actually the Orlando Sentinel said Halloween parties were included.

It doesn't register on my outrage meter either, so I have no plans to place a complaint personally. But it might matter to some.

They've had the no costumes for adults thing for a long time, but I think Disney has been bending their own rule a lot unless the adult in question looked like they could pass for a Disney employee. Apparently they will no longer be bending it.

So, is a guy wearing a jacket and bow tie who happens to look like Doctor Who wearing a costume? Or is it just a costume at the point where he pulls out the sonic screwdriver?

I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to play out (cross posting from another thread):

4GNHvdH.jpg

Dressing up to the nines, DisneyBounding, Dalek/Tardis sun dresses, Mickey ears, festive hats, Lolita-wear, Goth, Scottish kilts/M.U.G.s, all of these things will almost certainly continue to be fine.

I just can't get worked up about the costume ban and I can see some of Disney's concerns. We are frequent visitors and have seen guests in some amazing costumes which is part of the problem. Sometimes it is difficult to tell a cast member from a guest. Will your princess be able to tell the difference from the "Disney" prince charming and the "Creepy guy" prince charming? If a costume is so professional and accurate, will a costumed guest be able access areas that are not intended for guests? I know it seems extreme but we all know that there are reasons that these new rules have been put in place.

If Disney is willing to give up the revenue from the sale of toy guns, you can be sure there is a valid reason.

A lot has changed at the World over the 25+ years we have visiting and I will admit I am not a fan of all of the changes. But most of the time the changes are reflective of how our world is changing. At the end of the day Disney gets more things right than they get wrong. Once I stop believing that, I will no longer spend my time or my $$ there.

There is no way they can stop dapper days. They can't really stop someone from wearing "vintage" clothes to the parks. If someone is anywhere near a costume for dapper days or disneybounding then they are doing it wrong. Dapper days use to be just dressing up. Then it became disneybounding a little nicer. If you look anything like a regular costume character then you are doing it wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!