Costco travel

We do not belong to Costco but,
Do you think it's worth joining Costco to get the CC for cruising on any Cruise Line.
We belong to Sams Club but I don't have any idea if they even offer any type of on board credit. I'll have to look.
Let me know about Costco.
TIA
(Update: Sam's Club has suspended the travel agency as of January 01,2016)
We only booked a 3 day cruise and our cash card is $235, I think it's worth it but that's a personal decision.
I personally think Costco has the best rental car deals so that may help also.

Did folks look at the cost of the same cruise on Disney vs. Costco? We tried and the higher price for Costco was the price + of the gift card. Wasn't worth it to us.

Actually Costco is the exact same price as DCL. You need to get to the last booking page and you will see that the price is exactly the same cost.

Do you think it's worth joining Costco to get the CC for cruising on any Cruise Line.
We belong to Sams Club but I don't have any idea if they even offer any type of on board credit. I'll have to look.
TIA
I think a basic membership at Costco is in the $50 range, I think. If you're getting a few (or several) hundred back in Costco cards, that's worth it. Besides, if you want, after your trip and using your gift cards, just cancel your membership and get the remainder back, if anything's left in your year.

Yes. Costco is an excellent choice year round. You can also get the Costco card and receive cash back on many purchases. Online through Costco and fuel.

JW

Log completely in. The prices will show the right price then. Costco isn't higher than Disney. If you see that it is, something has gone awry. Log in fully.
If this occurs call them and they will call the cruise line and get the correct price. Their website is funky sometimes. I know with NCL the price is always a little lower on Costco.

TIA
I love Costco. I have the executive membership with Costco, and the citibank card. 3% back on travel and 4% on gas 2% at Costco, dining, some stores and 1% every where else. I just used my 600.00 rewards certificate from Costco and I'll get another 150.00 plus back in June from the 2% I'll earn from shopping at Costco. The membership is 125.00, but it pays for itself. I know I sound like a commercial for Costco, but I love the new Citibank Visa. The rewards add up so much faster than the old American Express. If you travel a lot the 3% is fantastic. I've only had the card since June I figure next year my reward check will be even bigger.

Can someone correct if I am wrong? If I make my DCL reservation initially with Costco (online), I cannot use a Disney GC. However, if I make the reservation with DCL directly (online as well), I can use a Disney GC. And if I then transfer the reservation to Costco, I will not lose any of Costco's cash card offers (ie: a smaller percentage vs direct reservation) as long as it's done within 30 days of initial deposit. Plus, even after transferring to Costco, I can still make additional payments towards the cruise using Disney GCs, correct?

I am trying to get this straightened out as I am getting ready to book a summer 2018 itinerary (reportedly to be released some time in March). TIA.

LAX

Can someone correct if I am wrong? If I make my DCL reservation initially with Costco (online), I cannot use a Disney GC. However, if I make the reservation with DCL directly (online as well), I can use a Disney GC. And if I then transfer the reservation to Costco, I will not lose any of Costco's cash card offers (ie: a smaller percentage vs direct reservation) as long as it's done within 30 days of initial deposit. Plus, even after transferring to Costco, I can still make additional payments towards the cruise using Disney GCs, correct?

I am trying to get this straightened out as I am getting ready to book a summer 2018 itinerary (reportedly to be released some time in March). TIA.

LAX
You can use a Disney Gift Card to pay the deposit for the cruise, as well as for any future payment. Now, whether Costco won't let you, I'd worry about that. Is Costco requiring you to pay them up front and then they pay DCL? Most TAs will just be a middle man for transferring (whatever) funds from you to the cruise line.

Costco seems to be the only TA who hasn't decreased their cash perk on a transferred reservation.

Yes, you must transfer a reservation that you've made directly to a TA within 30 days.

Yep, you can use gift cards, but you do have to call - depending on the day, get comfy, I've logged calls with Costco at 2+ hours (but we don't travel in small groups so I'm usually doing stuff with 5-6 cabins at a time!). While you're on the phone they're very transparent that they're putting you on hold to literally talk to Disney! On the other hand, $200+ to let you guys play literal middle man? I'm in!

Also, if you're paying with a Disney Vacation Account (totally recommend!), call the DVA's DCL number for your final payments.

Yep, you can use gift cards, but you do have to call - depending on the day, get comfy, I've logged calls with Costco at 2+ hours (but we don't travel in small groups so I'm usually doing stuff with 5-6 cabins at a time!). While you're on the phone they're very transparent that they're putting you on hold to literally talk to Disney! On the other hand, $200+ to let you guys play literal middle man? I'm in!

Also, if you're paying with a Disney Vacation Account (totally recommend!), call the DVA's DCL number for your final payments.

In all the cruises we used Costco for, Ive never waited even close to that long. Is the time wait from them waiting on DCL?

LAX

Correct. I usually book with DCL the next day I call Costco and make the deposit.

It sounds like Costco would take Disney GC even on initial deposit if a human is involved. I have only done searches and dummy bookings online, which doesn't allow GC as far as I could tell. If transferring the reservation doesn't decrease the amount of cash card rebate, I would probably just book with DCL online first. I prefer not to wait on hold if I don't have to (who would, right?!). Plus, by the time I get to book as a complete newbie, there will be slim picking of cabins. Thus, I would hate for the selection to dwindle even further while I am on hold! Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.

LAX

I booked thru Costco and was on hold quite awhile the last time I called in. Just an FYI - I asked them when the best time to call was and they said 1:00pm PST. This is when shift change is and there are 1 1/2 times the amount of people on the phones. I haven't needed this info since but FYI to those reading.

I booked thru Costco and was on hold quite awhile the last time I called in. Just an FYI - I asked them when the best time to call was and they said 1:00pm PST. This is when shift change is and there are 1 1/2 times the amount of people on the phones. I haven't needed this info since but FYI to those reading.
Good to know, thank you

In all the cruises we used Costco for, Ive never waited even close to that long. Is the time wait from them waiting on DCL?

Yep, if I call at the wrong time, it can be easily a half hour on hold to talk to an agent, then if Disney is busy, they put you on hold to wait to talk to Disney... I talk to them a lot though, so I've made lots of phone calls ("hey everybody, I'm booking today, let me know if you're in! Fully refundable!" 2 weeks later "Cousin Susy decided she's in, can you call and book for her?")

That's awesome to know!

Super Newbie from Canada to the DCL and the Disboard. We are booking the Nov 11/17 Western Caribbean 7 night for our first experience.

I NEED BOOKING ADVICE

Initially I was going to book direct through the Disney Cruise site... then I met a TA from the Expedia Cruise Ship Centre -- then I learned of Costco.
**All the prices I've seen are the same**

Costco: I love the idea of the cash back for travel -- but I want to be able to use the Disney Cruise Line website to book extras for the family.

Am I right in my research??
As I've read, the majority of Costco users are booking through the DCL website (??paying the deposit??) and then transferring to Costco and scoring their cash card?? Then you get to manage your booking on the DCL website.

^^is that right^^

Any help/advice or direction is GREATLY appreciated!!!

I'm fine to call, versus book online. However I do want to pay with gift cards. It sounds as if you can do that over the phone? What % is the cash back card?

Super Newbie from Canada to the DCL and the Disboard. We are booking the Nov 11/17 Western Caribbean 7 night for our first experience.

I NEED BOOKING ADVICE

Initially I was going to book direct through the Disney Cruise site... then I met a TA from the Expedia Cruise Ship Centre -- then I learned of Costco.
**All the prices I've seen are the same**

Costco: I love the idea of the cash back for travel -- but I want to be able to use the Disney Cruise Line website to book extras for the family.

As I've read, the majority of Costco users are booking through the DCL website (??paying the deposit??) and then transferring to Costco and scoring their cash card?? Then you get to manage your booking on the DCL website.

^^is that right^^

Any help/advice or direction is GREATLY appreciated!!!

What extras are you wanting to book? Port Adventures are booked directly on the DCL website. The TA just handles your initial booking and payments. Everything else is done directly on DCL's site.

We booked our upcoming DCL directly through Costco. We made the deposit and final payment through Costco. Otherwise, everything else has been available to us on the DCL website. I was even able to call DCL directly to make a special request about dining, and it was granted by DCL a week or two later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter