Coral Reef Review via Dis Unplugged - Ugh

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
I remember the last time we ate at Coral Reef. It was over a decade ago and was part of the Candlelight Processional package. Our food was unimpressive and the environment was not memorable.

Fast forward about 15 years and I think the lastest vlog shows that either our experience was limited or the menu offerings have substantially changed for the better.

The team that reviewed this dining experience offered a perfect balance of tastes and inputs that made me very curious about re-dining again at this restaurant. I feel this review completely encapsulated the dining experience sans drinks (regardless of selection). This trio of reviewers were excellent and should be mandated for future dining reviews (please send them to Homecomin'); they each have a distinct way of articulating their views.

So ugh in that my last experience was sub-par, but am impressed with the presentation and apparent taste/offerings that are now present.

Food did look a bit better from when we last were there 6 years ago.
We waited for a table next to the aquarium, but I found it a better view from further away as the glass was so thick and curved it was a bit disorientating....

By the way Corey’s facial expressions while eating are hilarious 😂

Did they say anything about crab cakes?
@OKW Lover They mentioned Kevin's past "sad little crab cake" experience there; the crab cake is apparently no longer on the menu, but the cuisine has apparently gotten MUCH better. They didn't mention it until the end though, and I left a comment that said all I heard in my head while watching the video was "sad little crab cake". :) :)

I remember the last time we ate at Coral Reef. It was over a decade ago and was part of the Candlelight Processional package. Our food was unimpressive and the environment was not memorable.

Fast forward about 15 years and I think the lastest vlog shows that either our experience was limited or the menu offerings have substantially changed for the better.

The team that reviewed this dining experience offered a perfect balance of tastes and inputs that made me very curious about re-dining again at this restaurant. I feel this review completely encapsulated the dining experience sans drinks (regardless of selection). This trio of reviewers were excellent and should be mandated for future dining reviews (please send them to Homecomin'); they each have a distinct way of articulating their views.

So ugh in that my last experience was sub-par, but am impressed with the presentation and apparent taste/offerings that are now present.
@hertamaniac - Would be interested to hear what you think, if you do make it back to Coral Reef!

I usually get a steak when I had adrs at Coral Reef on the DDP and DH would get a fish dish... then we try each other choices. It is very hard to find a great crabcake outside of MD...perhaps you can count in the VA Eastern Shore.

I kinda of regret switching my return flight because I could had grab a crabcake at a layover in MD (switch to nonstop when points needed dropped). I have to try get dh to bring me some when he flies to MD next month.

However, I did had a decent mini crabcake or 2 on Citricos' special Christmas Eve menu in 2009.

I usually get a steak when I had adrs at Coral Reef on the DDP and DH would get a fish dish... then we try each other choices. It is very hard to find a great crabcake outside of MD...perhaps you can count in the VA Eastern Shore.

I kinda of regret switching my return flight because I could had grab a crabcake at a layover in MD (switch to nonstop when points needed dropped). I have to try get dh to bring me some when he flies to MD next month.

However, I did had a decent mini crabcake or 2 on Citricos' special Christmas Eve menu in 2009.

There's great crab out here on Cape Cod! ;-)

The food in the video looked decent, but it was obnoxiously loud in there. Do they include Advil with dessert?
I was on the road so I had a lot of podcast time, that review was so hard to listen to because it was loud, the clanking utensils, plates, screaming kids. I was happy they did address the noise factor, but for me that was a complete deal breaker. But I totally appreciated that they talked about it. There have been a few other reviews where the noise level was loud and that really does help me to decide if I'd want to eat there or not. I'm all about Disney being a family place, but I prefer to find a restaurant that is a bit quieter when I can.

We just ate at the Coral Reef about 2 weeks ago during our most recent visit, probably the 4th time we have been there in the last 5 years or so. The food is always just "okay", decent but nothing great(although my wife and daughters really enjoyed the salmon which is no longer on the menu). Watching the fish/sharks etc in the aquarium while eating is a fun experience. Service has always been good, and the noise level has never really bothered me. Not one of my top restaurants at WDW, but usually easy to get a last minute reservation or walk in.

There is a crabcake at Liberty Tree Tavern on the lunch menu. I had the pot roast instead. It was not as good portion and recipe as in the past. I miss seeing carrots and other veggies in it. Now...it is "Where's the gravy" and their green beans are not a good pairing...i was hoping for root veggies...got maybe a quarter cup of mashed potatoes that seem processed. It was a lot better 6 six years ago.

I saw a review on the new Little Mermaid menu on another site. I had better portion/pricing in tourist seafood places in MD.

I wanted to checked on the Landscape of Flavors for the crab cake remembering seeing it online menus (some burger combo). I did not see it. There is a crab cake at Yak and Yeti, but I think it has bell pepper in it---I am sensitive to bell peppers. I spent the past few days looking for locations.

I still would have liked to see John and Kevin join in on this most recent review. I know it's not always possible with schedules and such, but it would have been interesting to see their feelings on it years later...even if there's no longer a "sad little crab cake" offering on the menu.

I was thinking the same thing when they reviewed Sebastian's (formerly Shutters).

I haven't eaten there ever. But we have 2 first time Disney vacationers going with us in 2020 and they both wanted to try this. The rest of us picked Ohana/BOG, etc.

We have multiple friends who are DVC or twice a year Disneyers who have spoken highly of this restaurant in the last few years. Pretty much everyone says this is not a signature restaurant good but pretty good Disney food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!