• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coral-friendly suntan lotion

Inga

DIS Veteran
We have been reading that Hawaii only permits coral-friendly sun tan lotion. I haven’t been able to find anything here in Canada at local drug stores. Any intel on this, how do they regulate this, and where do you get yours? Amazon? What brands seems to be reasonably priced and available? I can imagine the prices in Hawaii are considerably more than what I would get here…

Almost all of the major manufacturers have changed their formulas. You would be hard-pressed to find something that ISN'T reef safe at this point. You don't need to find something that's especially advertised as such.

Most of the stuff that's specifically advertised as "natural" or "mineral-based" is a goopy, pasty mess that's impossible to apply.

Just check the ingredients list and if you don't see oxybenzone or octinoxate, you're fine.

Last edited:
Ignoring the fact that one of these is SPF 30 and one is SPF 50, the old formula is on the left and the new formula is on the right.

20210723_111641.jpg

Yes I thought there were other agents that were a problem other than these two - looks like my latest purchase passes!

Attachments

• 8D4632FD-71CB-4805-86A6-DB4B77AC79ED.jpeg
    8D4632FD-71CB-4805-86A6-DB4B77AC79ED.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 74860356-FA0F-4935-969C-17FF847660AD.jpeg
    74860356-FA0F-4935-969C-17FF847660AD.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
Good to know. I’m a big fan of long-sleeved swim suits so to protect even more. Who would have thought when I was a kid that long sleeved swim suits would be a thing In the future?

Also, prices at Target in Kapolei for most things (but bread, eggs, and a few other items) are priced pretty much the same as on the mainland. So if you need to buy it there, it won‘t cost more.

I use Babo Botanicals sunscreen. I can buy it on Amazon. They have a couple of varieties at this point but they have a spray version and it's pretty sheer for non nano particle mineral sunblock. Most of the chemical sunscreens still have a lot of bad chemicals in them even of they say reef friendly. The bolded is what you should be looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter