Convinced the hubby he won't die on the flight to Disneyland. A May PTR

aussie shaz

DIS Veteran
So, I have read and enjoyed so many PTR's and TR's over the last couple of years, that I thought I would love to do one myself. I ummed and ahhhed last trip, and never did end up doing either. I hadn't found the ANZAC side of the boards, and I think I was a bit intimidated putting one on 'the other side'!

Again, I have Ummed and Ahhed for this trip, but decided, what the heck, you go for it girl. I just hope that I can continue through to a full trip report, and maybe even learn how to put photos on here:confused3

The when : Departing Saturday 18th May 2013
The Where: DISNEYLAND AGAINpixiedust:
The How : Virgin Australia (I hope to find the free snacks this time!)
Most Importantly The Who:
Me (40), Hubby (40), S1 (will be 12), and S2 (9)

Lets try a photo
th_100_6987.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I might finish up there, just to make sure the photo worked. If it did, great, if not I'll beg for some help!

Very proud of myself. After 3 tries, I actually got the photo to show. Is it a bit small? How do you make it bigger?

Anyway, so that's my family. It's not at Disneyland (as you would have already realised!) but the only family shots from our last trip are from the photopass, and I haven't put them on Photobucket. This is us on the Friends couch at Warner Bros studios.

Now, some backstory to this trip.

I have forever promised myself that when I had kids, I would take them to Disneyland. I guess growing up and watching Walts Wonderful World of Disney on a Sunday night made me believe that Disneyland was the be-all and end-all of holiday destinations. And I grew up to know that that was absolutely correct!

So, in my mind I would take my kids to Disneyland when they were 9 and 11yrs. (I was previously a travel agent and knew things got more expensive after this!!) Hubby and I had been twice to Disneyland and once to WDW, but they were 1997 and 2000.

So, in 2011 I could wait no longer. S1 was 10 1/2 and S2 turned 8 while we were at the parks. When I told them that we would be going to America and that S2 would have his birthday at Disneyland the response was "Will there be anything fun to do there?"!!! So obviously Disneyland didn't mean all that much to them as it did to me:rotfl:

We had our first family Disney holiday in August 2011, and I have been planning this one since before we left.

We did Anaheim for 6 nights, then off to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and San Diego (well, really just Legoland). Loved, loved, loved the Disney portion of the holiday. Grand Canyon was nice to see but not a 2 night stopover in my opinion. S2 still says it was the most boring part of the holiday. Loved Las Vegas but it was tooooooo hot. Approx 43C every day was a bit much to bear. Next time I'll plan my trip around the weather in LV. Legoland was just so so to me, but the boys seemed to enjoy it. We did try to do some other San Diego stuff, but it just didn't work out well. I think by the end of the 3 weeks we were just too tired to put in the effort it deserved.

This trip will be 15 nights in Anaheim, staying at the Hojo in a Kids Suite for the first 6 nights (along with friends that are joining us for this portion) and then 9 nights in a Vacation rental off Walnut (behind Disneyland).

Oh yeah, back to the title: After we got home from our last trip I mentioned to hubby that I so desperately wanted to go back (don't we all!). He said that he didn't want to go back because of the flight. He loved the trip, but just can't stand the flight. He doesn't sleep on planes, and he's a 'doer', so gets so bored sitting doing nothing but watching movies. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't going to happen, and I had to think of somewhere else to visit that would be as good as Disneyland, but within about a 6-8hr flight. Of course, we all know there is nothing of the sort.

A couple of months later, after much discussion (and time amnesia on hubbys behalf) he agreed we could go back. I think the long flight is like childbirth. It's worth going through to get something wonderful out of it, and the pain is forgotten in time:lmao:

I have just started my first PTR too :goodvibes

We fly using Virgin Australia and are flying with them again in may....we think they are awesome.

Hope you do a TR with lots of pics I love seeing other peoples photos

Thanks Brissymum. Yes, I've read yours.

I feel really bad that I get so much enjoyment from reading everyone else's PTRs and TRs but haven't commented much.

I have started to do some posting rather than just lurking. Following along on everyone else's, to get some ideas for mine!

welcome. subbing in and can't wait to hear all about it. sounds like you will have a great time.

and if your dh doesn't want to go back to america, there is always hong kong disney or tokyo sea i guess :)

it's always a bit of a juggling act... trying to travel, save up for travel, book travel, plan travel... around the rest of our lives. sounds like you have a great trip planned :)

can't wait to hear more popcorn::

I'm subbing in and can't wait to hear more. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Thanks Brissymum. Yes, I've read yours.

I feel really bad that I get so much enjoyment from reading everyone else's PTRs and TRs but haven't commented much.

I have started to do some posting rather than just lurking. Following along on everyone else's, to get some ideas for mine!

Please jump in and comment more. Lurking isn't half as much fun as joining in.

Well done on your first PTR (you're braver than me - I haven't even considered attempting one!)

I will be eagerly waiting for your TR (especially pics and feedback of Hojos!)

Welcome. I'm yet to do a TR myself, so I'm testing the waters with a PTR for our second trip.

My DH hates being confined on a plane, too. He's another 'doer'.
:wave2:

alicia1506 said:
and if your dh doesn't want to go back to america, there is always hong kong disney or tokyo sea i guess :)
:

Hong Kong being planned for Christmas 2014:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone. I will try my best and see how this PTR/TR turns out. Have to work on the photos though. Didn't like how the first one turned out. I hate looking at those tiny photos!

Have been trying to lurk less:)

Great start to your PTR! How lucky you and your family are to be sharing the first portion of DL with friends. Do they also have children? Have they been before? Looking forward to reading more.

I am very impressed with your photo - I don't have a clue how to do that!!

I'm really glad that you are doing a PTR, it's great to see what other people have planned and share the excitement as we count down. Last time we went, Battymum was leaving on the same day and we even MET each other at the Wilderness Lodge - but not until after she thought I was another person who was covered in tattoos...nope, wrong Australian!! : !@#$%^&*:: !@#$%^&*:: !@#$%^&*:

Now if only my DH would sort out my ticker!! :headache:

Yep, very lucky to be sharing Disneyland with friends. They have a daughter the same age as my youngest son. We met in Kinder:goodvibes All the kids get along really well.

They said the same as me, about taking their daughter before she's too old, and jumped at the chance to tag along so daughter has kids her age to experience Disneyland with. I am so excited to have others the play with:upsidedow

They've never been, so we've organized a BBQ in a couple of weeks to discuss what we both want to do, and when. They're heading off to to Las Vegas and San Diego, before coming back to LA, where we'll catch up again, and then coming home via Hawaii.

I have been waiting ages for our planning BBQ, but didn't want to push it in case they realized they were coming to Disneyland with a crazy Disney planner! (It might just freak people out!) I have to be very blasé about it all:smokin:

Busybusy, I'm not too impressed with the picture. Hoping someone can advise how to make it bigger. Maybe I'll have a play. I might even look at the ticker thing, but doubt I'll work it out!!!

Thanks everyone for following and not just lurking!

I think I have mastered the ticker. Lets see if it just shows up on the one post!!!!

Yep. Anyone know where to put the ticket so it stays with all your posts?

Amazing - a ticker and an avatar - it's been a wild Friday night!!!

I understand not wanting to come across as a psycho planner - BUT - we were with friends on our 2011 trip and if it wasn't for me, they would never have done half of the things they did.

...and, Battymum - there's still time, sushi in April and NY pizza in May - now that's a plan!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter