Continued problems with the engines on the Fantasy

I always wonder... How can you be so sure that some of the people not taking them had not just washed their hands before entering. More than once I have gone to the bathroom located just at the MDR, washed my hands there, and gone directly to the MDR. I still take the wipe though because I don't want people judging me even though they were literally just washed seconds before entering the MDR.

I always wonder... How can you be so sure that some of the people not taking them had not just washed their hands before entering. More than once I have gone to the bathroom located just at the MDR, washed my hands there, and gone directly to the MDR. I still take the wipe though because I don't want people judging me even though they were literally just washed seconds before entering the MDR.

There’s really no way of knowing. We rely on people to be responsible enough of clean up after themselves which I appreciate you doing , more than once . It really just takes one irresponsible person to ruin a lot of people’s day.

We were in 10658 (aft facing corner room) on the Fantasy in November 2017 and we only noticed vibration when we were pulling into or out of port. It went away once we were underway.

Of course, you can never be 100% sure, but if a large group of people exits the elevators and heads straight on through into cabanas without washing hands or taking a wipe - it’s highly unlikely they all JUST washed their hands (by the way pushing elevator buttons and touching door handles negates hand washing). Also, from an infectious disease and epidemiology standpoint, not being consistent (everyone gets a wipe), leads to system failure.

My family and I sailed on the Fantasy last October and would not hesitate to go back. In fact we booked our next trip (Sep 18) while still on board.

I always marvel out how smoothly the Captain navigates the size of the vessel (1,115 feet long) and the weight (128,000 tons) through the water. What is especially amazing is how efficiently the five thrusters allow the Captain to maneuver the ship in and out of port. While I cannot speak to the engine issues at the beginning of this post, vibrations are natural in all ships. What is good is that because the Fantasy does not utilize azipods, most issues can be fixed in port and do not require a dry dock.

As far as noro virus, hand washing is supposed to be the most effective preventative measure to catching the noro virus, but not when most people I observed just wet their hands and move on it is not effective. I consistently use my clothes to touch hand rails, push elevator buttons and to open doors. If you are really concerned about the self-serve options eat in a restaurant or have room service and enjoy it top side on the deck. I have a severely compromised immune system and have only been ill once on a cruise. Not bad for having sailed 80 nights on Disney.

Bottom line, there are bound to be bad days but you honestly can still have a wonderful time in spite of mechanical issues. Go into a cruise for what it is - an adventure and have the time of your life.

I felt kind of weird a couple times on our cruise when we had to sit outside cabanas so I kept going in and out the door and didn’t wash my hands each time. I thoroughly washed them the first time but then I had to keep making trips in and out for food and drinks for myself and the kids before I could sit and eat. At least twice I breezed by the long line at the hand washing stations and I wondered if people were giving me side eye.

Once we were in line for breakfast buffet. We were already past the point of sinks/wipes and a cast member was bouncing a ball to kids on line. I did wonder just how many germs were on that ball.

As far as people washing their hands after using the bathroom...not everyone does! I've been in plenty of public bathrooms where women don't wash their hands. Somehow I doubt they change their habits when on a ship! And certainly it wouldn't kill anyone to take a wipe whether or not they just washed their hands. I always do so I don't get any nasty looks. :-)

I think I know if I need to wash my hands or not. If I don't I just blow past the CM and do what I need to do. I personally think the whole thing is really silly.

As far as people washing their hands after using the bathroom...not everyone does! I've been in plenty of public bathrooms where women don't wash their hands. Somehow I doubt they change their habits when on a ship! And certainly it wouldn't kill anyone to take a wipe whether or not they just washed their hands. I always do so I don't get any nasty looks. :-)
While taking a hand wipe may not kill someone, it can cause problems for some people. I cannot use 95% of products on the market because they cause me to breakout into itchy red rashes. That includes handwipes. I cannot use 100% of sanitizing gels.
But, I carry my own soap with me wherever I go so I can wash my hands thoroughly.

I can vouch for THAT! :crazy2:

I've only had one cruise on the Fantasy, an eastern. As others have noted when the ship was traveling over 20 knots is when the vibration was noticeable which for use was the trip from St. Thomas to Castaway Cay so basically two days of vibration. Since DCL appears to not be concerned or can't fix it could they just switch the Dream and Fantasy itineraries since for the three times we've been on the Dream I don't recall much time spent at 20 knots or greater speeds? Or maybe the Dream would have the same problem but if they never go fast enough you just don't know it?

Should go without saying. Still, unless a person has just washed their hands and touched neither public places (buttons, handles, faucets, railings, chairs, tables) nor their own eyes/nose/face/shoes, they can always benefit from another wipe.

We were on the Fantasy 4/21 cruise in 5656, so a little more mid-aft, and did not have a problem with vibration. We did get some coming into ports, but we all slept fine and there were no noise issues. Prior to that we had always stayed deck 8 midship, and I would absolutely pick that cabin again for the extended balcony and convenience of the aft stairs.
Hi, we have booked that same room and debating on if we made the right selection for our cruise. Fantasy room 5656 4e. Would you mind giving me your opinion on it especially the verandah? Any photos would be really helpful if you have any. We have two adults and two young children.

Hi, we have booked that same room and debating on if we made the right selection for our cruise. Fantasy room 5656 4e. Would you mind giving me your opinion on it especially the verandah? Any photos would be really helpful if you have any. We have two adults and two young children.

We loved 5656. It is in a great location right by the aft elevators so it was really easy to get up and downstairs, plus the extended balcony was great. I would have breakfast out there every morning (from room service) before my kids woke up and it was really nice to have the extra space and reclining loungers (also took naps out there on those).

Just came back this past saturday after a week in 6188 on Fantasy. Vibrations weren't that bad unless we were coming into or leaving a port. I was a nice wake up call on port days. I had more problems with sleeping on the sofa bed in the room. It was a little too hard for me and I woke up with my back hurting every morning.

We did a Thanksgiving cruise in 5162 and 5164. There were some weird vibrations one night, when we were turned back towards Bahamas from St. Thomas and going fast. Other than that, just the going into port when they were doing the side thrusters. Loved the extended balconies, especially as we were the last one on the side, had whole back view too.

Just came back this past saturday after a week in 6188 on Fantasy. Vibrations weren't that bad unless we were coming into or leaving a port. I was a nice wake up call on port days. I had more problems with sleeping on the sofa bed in the room. It was a little too hard for me and I woke up with my back hurting every morning.
We did 6688 a few years ago, so the mirror image to the cabin above, and no major issues. Yes, vibrations when porting but otherwise we didn’t really have anything that seemed out of the ordinary for a ship. It was the western Caribbean so we did not have the long run out to St. Maartin/St. Thomas while in that stateroom so maybe it was just that we were not traveling fast enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!