Constant request for donations

That's really rude. DH and my mom bring the form to work, people know they have it if they're interested. DD is allowed to call a few close family members (my brothers, her other grandmother, and her godmother and godfather). We did participate in a cookie booth for the first time this past weekend, but neither DD nor myself are the yelling, shouting,trying to make people feel bad type. Maybe we'd have been warmer standing out there, but it's not my thing;)

Sorry you've been having a bad experience. I know that's not supposed to be how it happens but maybe our area is just more laid back.

I did find it funny at the cookie booth that since we were outside at a strip mall, people would drive up to the curb like it was a drive through :rotfl:

Yeah. Like, I know FFIL buys their family's cookies through people in his work, and I can see someone bringing in their daughter's order form and setting it in the break room. What I hated was that, due to there being 2 people with order forms trying to guilt him into buying from them, he split the order between the two. Then they both lost the order form, and it was a pain trying to figure which boxes we got from whom, and ended up not getting the exact order and buying extras from a booth. :sad2:

I have no problem with people with booths who did what you guys did. Have a booth, sell the cookies, but not be in your face about it.

That's awesome that people were using you as a drive-through! :lmao:

A lot of stores do have the do you want to give a dollar for the charity of the month thing. I always just say no, not today. I've never had one say anything more about it. I'm not sure what I'd do if they did. I know I wouldn't give.

I, too, hate the kids peddling outside the stores. I wish the stores would not allow it. If they would just set up a table that would be fine, but they are on you like little vultures. Sorry to all the Girl Scout parents, but I have bought at least a dozen boxes of cookies from neighbors and I don't want anymore. I hate that they look so disappointed when I tell them I have already purchased cookies this year.

But, the one that has irked me lately was a baseball team outside of Dick's sporting goods selling peanuts. There were tons of them and no way to get around them. Very aggressive kids. I gave a simple no thank you on my way in and tried the same on the way out, but a boy, about 12 years old (I know he's just a kid and doesn't know better, but hey coach--teach him to know better) said "but, hey, it's important...it's for MY Teeeaaam (whiny). I just left. But, I so wanted to say "I don't even know who you are. I don't know what county your team is even in. My kids are on teams. They're Teeeaaaam is more important to me than yours is." But, of course, I wouldn't do that.

The only fundraiser I have let my son solicit for is Wreaths Across America. Civil Air Patrol helps the original organization and now puts wreaths on a great many military gravesites at Christmas. IMO, a worthy cause. But, there are lots of worthy causes. This is what I did...I emailed all the friends and family I planned for him to ask. I explained it to them first and said I didn't want to put them on the spot by having him ask them. So, if they would like to donate to send me a reply and I would know it is OK for him to ask. That seemed to work well and I hope it took the pressure off.

I'm a breast cancer survivor. I'm tired of all the breast cancer solicitations. I just think the constant solicitation thing is overdone.

Is anybody else really tired of things being colored pink for breast cancer?

My cheese wrappers, shoes, everything! We've had some breast scares in our family, and really, I would rather not have to think about breast cancer EVERY TIME I go food shopping!

I have actually found myself avoiding pink colored for breast cancer products because I have some fairly unpleasant memories.

I think, man, save the money they just spent on all that fancy wrapping, pink coloring, and endless marketing and give it to the WOMEN WHO NEED IT!

I'm a huge fan of helping as directly as I can....

I don't really mind it- I can (and often do) just say no.

2 types come to mind that bug me though-

1. Once I was at the movies and before the previews they showed a really pullat-your-heartstrings clip of kids with terminal illness... and then had the ushers pass around a can to collect money. It think it was St. Jude's- one of my favorite charities- but I felt that passing the can was really intrusive for some reason.

2. When they put kids on the median strip in the middle of a busy road with a bucket and have them approach cars for money. This is unsafe on so many levels! I have seen girls (around age 13) in the road collecting for their cheerleading or dance troupe in a very small dance outfit. The outfit would be appropriate on a stage at a recital but IMO not in the street while asking for money- too many creeps out there.

I don't really mind it- I can (and often do) just say no.

2 types come to mind that bug me though-

1. Once I was at the movies and before the previews they showed a really pullat-your-heartstrings clip of kids with terminal illness... and then had the ushers pass around a can to collect money. It think it was St. Jude's- one of my favorite charities- but I felt that passing the can was really intrusive for some reason.

2. When they put kids on the median strip in the middle of a busy road with a bucket and have them approach cars for money. This is unsafe on so many levels! I have seen girls (around age 13) in the road collecting for their cheerleading or dance troupe in a very small dance outfit. The outfit would be appropriate on a stage at a recital but IMO not in the street while asking for money- too many creeps out there.

Regarding #1 - don't churches do that every Sunday? :)

Two points:

1 - They still make Little Caesar's Pizza? I thought they were out of business. You DO learn something new every day!

2 - I remeber once going to the movies and there was a long March of Dimes commercial before the feature (this was in the mid 80's) and there were all of these movie stars (Mickey Rooney is def. one, and probably Liz Taylor???, there had to be about 20 or 30 of them) dropping a dollar into a can and passing it out of frame to . . .another celeb who drops a buck in and passes it to . . etc. etc. My dad snarked, "What the *heck* is a dollar to Mickey *darn* Rooney?" only, he didn't exactly say heck or darn. I still get a bad case of the giggles whenever I see photos of or movies with Mickey Rooney.

Oh, derailed my train of thought on 2 - well, anyway, the usher had to walk up the aisle with the can for donations and everyone in the 1/3 full theater just glared at him. That had to be the worst part of his job, even worse than cleaning the theater floor or scraping out the popcorn popper.

I don't care if you flame me, but people are just trying to help other people. Just say no if you don't want to donate. You might feel differently if you or someone you loved could be helped by one of these charities.

I understand why they are asking for donations but it is very awkward at times to say no. We all have our charities of choice, for example, this month has been a long one for us. Our Church helps support 70 families in our town and has a monthly food drive. We try to be very generous each month. Then extra collections for flowers for Easter and then for hams and turkeys for Easter dinner for those in need. The Explorers are collecting for new uniforms so we gave to that. We also support the Fair Trade sales and buy the chocolates and teas to help. We have been asked in the grocery stores to donate a dollar. I shop several times a week.

Every day my phone rings for help in one way or another. Or I get solicitations in the mail from neighbors who have been roped in to send them out. I am not complaining and i do give where I choose but it is difficult to manage how much and to whom when you are asked to give.

When they ask at the grocery I say "Not today, thanks." Apparently the cashiers are REALLY hounded to ask EVERY customer to donate, which sucks for them and us.

When charities call on the phone I say "Sorry, all of our charitable funds for 2008 have already been allocated. Thanks for calling." That's what companies used to tell me when I did fundraising, so I borrowed it. Works great!:thumbsup2

It is RARE that anyone comes to the door at my house. If someone we don't know is knocking we ignore them. At work (I'm a nanny) I tell the kids (scouts or other neighborhood kids) to come back when my bosses are home.;)

Regarding #1 - don't churches do that every Sunday? :)

Not all churches. The one I work for and attend deliberately has never, ever passed a plate. We have donation boxes in a few locations that regulars and members can put their money in if they choose. When our church was started in 1997 one of the things discussed was how some people feel the church was always after $$. So a decision was made to never pass a plate. 10 years later, 1000+ people a week and a very healthy budget we still don't pass a plate. People who attend choose to donate without the pressure of a plate going by and we are able to do a lot of good things with what is given.

Allyson :)

If I am approached at a store , in puclic etc or on the phone by a group or person asking for donations, I simply say no thank you if it is not a group that is one that I choose to donate to. Then I continue on my way. Having kids in school there always seems to be something that they are toting for one activity or another. When this happens I generally write a check fo an amount I feel comfortable with and make it a straght donation. In this way I am not buying things that I don't want or need and the entire donation can go to the class rather than just 40% (or what ever the portion is from the sales). I also ask how much is the cost for you to participate in this activity and then we will just pay up front and skip the fundraiser.

On the other hand, I work for a non profit Preschool/PreK. Let's just say it is no joke when I say I get paid pennies on the hour. It fits my life right now and has some flexibility so I stick with it despite the pay. Part of this nonprofit is that we have to earn a majority of our funds. the biggest fundraiser is an auction. Parents who have children attending the preschool/prek are expected to donate or solicit donations. I understand that bussinesses and in this town small bussiness owners who struggle themselves at times are bombarded with requests for donations. We had one bussiness owner who chewed a parent out rather strongly (to the point she was in tears) for asking for a donation. Now I totally understand that this bussiness may have been asked several times already this year for donations but a simple "we have already contributed to our preferred organization" or "we do not make charitable donations but appreciate your interest in our bussiness" or even "no thank you, we don't wish to donate to your organization" would have been sufficient, a total tirade wasn't necessary.

Respect on both sides of this situation should be used.

Not all churches. The one I work for and attend deliberately has never, ever passed a plate. We have donation boxes in a few locations that regulars and members can put their money in if they choose. When our church was started in 1997 one of the things discussed was how some people feel the church was always after $$. So a decision was made to never pass a plate. 10 years later, 1000+ people a week and a very healthy budget we still don't pass a plate. People who attend choose to donate without the pressure of a plate going by and we are able to do a lot of good things with what is given.

Allyson :)

Our church also does this, and I appreciate it. We write a check monthly and drop it in, and it's all taken care of. I know I have no worry of being pressured by a plate.

Our church also does this, and I appreciate it. We write a check monthly and drop it in, and it's all taken care of. I know I have no worry of being pressured by a plate.

I'd love to go to your churches! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter