Considering driving down to WDW...

laurabelle

DIS Veteran
For the first time. We've always gone off season and flown down. I'm trying to talk dh into taking more time off to drive down when school is out. We live in MD. We would probably drive our Honda Accord, as it's just the 4 of us-- me, hubby and dc 6 & 9 yrs old.
For those of you who have made the drive, could you share some of your tips? I'm thinking about just staying over night on the way down, but I'd like to hit a beach for a couple fo days on the return trip. Where should we stay??? Thanks!:)

laurabelle,
We love to take our time and drive. There are lots of National Parks along the way--and some that are a little bit off the beaten track. We discovered some really interesting things. Here is a link to the National Park Service web page for some ideas. We usually like to make the side trips on the way home because we don't want to let anything stand in the way between us and Mickey on the way down!
Link to NPS web site (click on a state to find parks)
One time, we came home via Macon, GA and made a side trip to the Ocmulgee Early Mississippian temple mounds. Click here for more details.
Your kids are exactly the right age to have a NPS passport and have fun collecting stamps from the various parks they visit--along with participating in the Junior Ranger Programs (they can earn badges).
While it takes longer to travel, it really makes it interesting.
One time, we took I-95 home and made numerous stops along the way starting with Fort Matanzas in St Augustine through Fort Pulaski near Savanah. (Also further north, Via I-95, you are not too far from Ft. Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor)...

The last couple of drives that we have made, we have made Disney's Hilton Head one of our overnight stops (either coming or going). It is a little ways off your route (it's about 30mins from I95), but the accomodations are really lovely.

-DC :)

Since you live in MD, no need for me to stress that you MUST plan to get thru DC before or after rush hour.
'Nuff said!!

WE always drive. Leave Glen Rock (just above Md Line on I-83) at 4:00 AM. Around DC NLT 6:00AM. Stop for full bkfst in Fredericksburg. Drive to Brunswick Ga. where we stay at the Hampton Inn. We're usually in Brunswick around 5:30 or so.
Leave Brunswick around 6:00 am and if we don't stop somewhere (I like ST. Augustine for a side trip) we're checkingh in at OKW around 10:30 AM.
Coming home, we drive to Emporia Va. and then a relatively short drive home next day. DC is still a major problem even on Sunday, but early in the morning it's tolerable (barely).

Hope that helped!!

Thanks everyone for the great tips! Uncleromulus, I think we're going to follow your route since we're on 83 north of Balto. too we should be able to time it well from your tips. Thanks again!:Pinkbounc

Laurabelle, you might also want to consider taking 301 south to the Potomac River Bridge instead of the beltway around DC. We just came back from a quick drive to Orlando & used 301 both ways - sure beats the Washington International Speedway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter