• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Conflicted

I would never not tip. We have always had great CM's on all of our cruises and do tip extra on most occasions. I just thought I had read somewhere that gratuities were included when you booked with points but maybe I misinterpreted it.

I don't want you to think, that I thought that you wouldn't tip.

Sorry if my tone of my response made you think otherwise.

k3chantal said:
I don't want you to think, that I thought that you wouldn't tip.

Sorry if my tone of my response made you think otherwise.

Thanks for your response. I didn't think that though. I just wanted to make sure my post wasn't misunderstood cause I would never not tip. We have always had great service, and those CM's work so hard! I'm just sure I read somewhere that gratuities were included when booking with points though. It's driving me crazy cause I sure cant find the info now (which means I likely dreamed it). Lol! :)

Thanks for your response. I didn't think that though. I just wanted to make sure my post wasn't misunderstood cause I would never not tip. We have always had great service, and those CM's work so hard! I'm just sure I read somewhere that gratuities were included when booking with points though. It's driving me crazy cause I sure cant find the info now (which means I likely dreamed it). Lol! :)

With how much a cruise or any Disney vacation costs, I wish you had not dreamt it. :) We too have always had great service and that is precisely why we keep going back to anything Disney!

Perhaps we will rent our DVC points. We have 210, which could bring us about $10/point for $2,100. That would get us a week - or pretty close to it - on a Carnival ship with an ocean view. That won't even get me a 5 night interior room on the Disney ship................yet I would consider it!

I think it will require me to emerge from a year with some money jingling in my pocket. That isn't the case right now, so I have to be budget conscious.

As I said before, I can't believe so many people can afford this. Our joint income is pretty good, but there still isn't enough money to blow on a trip that would cost 6 or 7 thousand when all is said and done.

Family of 4, with two teens. We do WDW if they have FD and stay at mods due to bigger beds. That's an easy 2K. Last year we did our first DCL - a 5n under OGT and got bumped to a 5e cat on the Dream. That was 3K. This year, we are doing a 5n under KSF. That's 2.5K. Of course, we drive instead of flying...

No way we would blow 6-7k - In fact, that's a reason we never joined DVC.

Perhaps we will rent our DVC points. We have 210, which could bring us about $10/point for $2,100. That would get us a week - or pretty close to it - on a Carnival ship with an ocean view. That won't even get me a 5 night interior room on the Disney ship................yet I would consider it!

I think it will require me to emerge from a year with some money jingling in my pocket. That isn't the case right now, so I have to be budget conscious.

As I said before, I can't believe so many people can afford this. Our joint income is pretty good, but there still isn't enough money to blow on a trip that would cost 6 or 7 thousand when all is said and done.

What time of year are you looking at? Summer cruises are crazy high. When I see Rutgers in your name, I think of the college. Do you live in NJ? If so, do your kids get off for Teachers Convention & Election day in the 1st week of Nov? That's when we tend to cruise except some special ones. It's very off peak in cruising terms.
If not, scour your kids school calendar for some odd days off that the whole country isn't off: teachers' inservices, Jewish holidays, etc. Usually in Feb our district puts out next year's calendar. Maybe there's a way they only miss a couple days. I would also look at the kids sail free offers from Miami & Galveston.

Personally, I'd rather be in an inside cabin on DCL than a suite on Carnival. We cruised Carnival 3x before discovering DCL. Since then tried 2 RCCLs. We just end up missing the Disney "magic". It's just a certain vibe that we don't feel on other cruise lines.

No, we aren't wealthy. No, we don't run up our credit cards. Dh works OT whenever he's offered and lets me use it toward vacay. Also in almost 18 yrs of marriage, I have enough "stuff" (jewelry, knick knacks, clothes, coats, boots, etc.). For the past 4-5 yrs he gives me $ for Christmas & birthdays to put toward vacay. Believe me, this makes me happier than if the gift were diamonds. Also we get a rather large tax refund each spring that covers more than cruise fare. My minivan is 6.5 yrs old. My cell phone is prob 5 yrs old with no data plan. I buy sneakers once per year on clearance. I look at every purchase from discretionary income to see if it's worth cutting into my vacay fund. Usually it's not. My kids have plenty of the latest cool stuff (except smartphones) so they're not complaining. We probably could use a bigger house; we're in a 3Br/2Ba small rancher but I don't want the additional burden for our mortgage, taxes, HVAC, etc. When things start feeling cramped, we clear out & donate to Purple Heart.
While my coworkers spend $8-10/day buying lunch, I eat my leftover spaghetti or PB & J from home.
Besides my love of travel, I'm very low-maintenance. :lmao:

I have read almost the entire thread and basically for me and my vacation here's what it comes down to:
I work and go to school. I have a job that would make most people cringe (my own mother says it's her version of hell. No joke.). I'm going to school/finishing up school to be an adrenaline junkie and see people at the worst moment in their lives (I want to be an ER RN). I live in a place that I love, but is gray most of the time. I could go on a cheaper vacation. But I figure it's my vacation. I want 1 week a year where I can hang out with Mickey, on a boat, looking out onto the water, have a nice drink, wear a fancy dress (because sometimes scrubs get so boring), and relax.

I justify the expense because I don't go to clubs, I don't go out a lot. I don't have kids. My downtime I spend with my dogs.

Disney could be double, but... And I'm taking my folks as sorta' payback (they took us to amazing vacations growing up.). :D

I can fully understand Disney costs more, but I would look at RCL long befroe I would look at anything Carnival, if fact I wont let my family sail carnival due to many reasons, including safety.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
I can fully understand Disney costs more, but I would look at RCL long befroe I would look at anything Carnival, if fact I wont let my family sail carnival due to many reasons, including safety.

AKK

What are your concerns with safety?

I always read that Carnival is a "party" ship, but we didn't see that at all. Our sailing was filled with kids. Considering it left from New Orleans during Mardis Gras, I was concerned. Yet it was great, no issues. The ship was slightly less nice on the inside as Disney, though not enough to make me think I was going slumming. The offerings for kids is where the difference was, as my kids really missed not having that giant pirate game that we had on the Dream.

The next time we sail, the kids will both be in middle school, with perhaps the oldest in high school. Perhaps the Disney ship won't be as big of a deal for them at that point.

If you ask my kids, they would say that the Dream was their favorite ship...though they loved the Carnival. Actually, if you asked my wife and I, we would also say that the Dream was our favorite.............But if you asked my wallet, it would say CARNIVAL.

We are going on our first DCL in less than two weeks. We've wanted to do a DC for a long time but I just could never justify the cost. We did a Celebrity cruise about 11 years ago and had a great time.

We have 280 DVC points annually and generally have gone 2 to 3 times a year (Mardi Gras, end of May and Halloween). Last year Mardi Gras fell at the same time as President's week so we scrapped that trip, we didn't go in May and my kids were both in new schools so we didn't go for Halloween. With our DVC points we had always been working off of banked points since we have just about exactly what we use. With skipping a whole year that gave us 280 points to play with so I booked a cruise. Basically it was 2.5 years worth of points. :sick:

It was really hard for me to make that phone call BUT I'm glad we did. We are taking a Disney Cruise for $95 (I know there are other fees, but I'm just talking cruise itself) in a verandah room. I could have rented my points and paid cash, but it works out to about the same so I didn't bother with the points rental.

Just because others say it isn't a good use of points doesn't mean it isn't a good use of points. :) The final thing that put me over the edge was that Disney often comes out with specials and discounts and I figured if we wanted to go to Disney but didn't have points we could take advantage of the specials that DVC members generally can't participate in.

You could also look out for the kids sail free option and see if that makes it more in your price range. (I checked when the Galveston special came out and it was STILL pricey!)

This is our first DCL and only 2nd cruise so I can't say whether it is worth it. I just wanted to chime in on using the DVC points to cruise.

J

disneypoor said:
I would never not tip. We have always had great CM's on all of our cruises and do tip extra on most occasions. I just thought I had read somewhere that gratuities were included when you booked with points but maybe I misinterpreted it.

Just to address this point...the only time tips are included in the price is if you take a dvc members only cruise. That's probably what you saw and thought it applied to all cruises on points.

What are your concerns with safety?

I always read that Carnival is a "party" ship, but we didn't see that at all. Our sailing was filled with kids. Considering it left from New Orleans during Mardis Gras, I was concerned. Yet it was great, no issues. The ship was slightly less nice on the inside as Disney, though not enough to make me think I was going slumming. The offerings for kids is where the difference was, as my kids really missed not having that giant pirate game that we had on the Dream.

The next time we sail, the kids will both be in middle school, with perhaps the oldest in high school. Perhaps the Disney ship won't be as big of a deal for them at that point.

As I siad we had propblems on both our cruises, smaller ships. I have been told its mostly the smaller ships and shorter cruises that have the partiers. To be fair, I am sure its not every or most cruises.

The reports and Maritime info I have read is mounting up in my mind. The QM2 and Spendour and some other vessels of the same class, used a electrical system, designed in Italy, for smaller ships and just *beefed it up*..The MQ11 had a electrical fire, handled well and put out fast. The cause of the fire was found and changes made in the system, however the changes were not made to the tothe other vessels,,,,,,,,,,,,,The spendour fire was caused by the same design issue .....the Concordia also had blackouts (unrelated to the sinking)

Add the fire on the allegro.

There is a class of Princess line vessels(I don't remember the name) that according to carnvial Inc, made*uncommanded hard turns*

My favorite, abit it was years ago.....the Estacy sailed Miami and there was smoke belching out of the stern. It was on TV. The USCG called the vessel to make sure they knew, and the story goes the Master argued with them about it.

Granted they run many ships, but this is getting to be mounting up!

JMHO, but my family will not sail Carnival Inc, but maybe Cunbard. That crew put out the fire fastr.

AKK

As I siad we had propblems on both our cruises, smaller ships. I have been told its mostly the smaller ships and shorter cruises that have the partiers. To be fair, I am sure its not every or most cruises.

The reports and Maritime info I have read is mounting up in my mind. The QM2 and Spendour and some other vessels of the same class, used a electrical system, designed in Italy, for smaller ships and just *beefed it up*..The MQ11 had a electrical fire, handled well and put out fast. The cause of the fire was found and changes made in the system, however the changes were not made to the tothe other vessels,,,,,,,,,,,,,The spendour fire was caused by the same design issue .....the Concordia also had blackouts (unrelated to the sinking)

Add the fire on the allegro.

There is a class of Princess line vessels(I don't remember the name) that according to carnvial Inc, made*uncommanded hard turns*

My favorite, abit it was years ago.....the Estacy sailed Miami and there was smoke belching out of the stern. It was on TV. The USCG called the vessel to make sure they knew, and the story goes the Master argued with them about it.

Granted they run many ships, but this is getting to be mounting up!

JMHO, but my family will not sail Carnival Inc, but maybe Cunbard. That crew put out the fire fastr.

AKK

I agree. All CLs have some issues but the whole Carnival group doesn't exactly portray a 'safety first' attitude.
Our Carnival cruises weren't a 'party crowd' either but still drunks shouting in the cabin-area hallways at 2am, waking us up. :rolleyes2 My bathing suit cover up/tank top was stolen from the pool deck. My kids weren't into the clubs & I can't blame them when the evening's activity for 9 yr olds was a "Coke-tail Party" with soda & dancing.:rolleyes1 My ds would have rather gone to the dentist. Looking back, most of our time onboard was spent at the arcade or pool.

For every show we'd have to ask if it were family-friendly and felt more like a Vegas show of girls with feathery costumes & lots of skin showing.
With DCL we can all enjoy the shows & I never have to question if it's ok for kids to watch. My parents have joined us for many cruises and they enjoy the shows too so it's not just geared to kids. There is still adult-only shows but they are usually much later & in one of the adult area clubs.

When we decided to sail Alaska last summer, I considered other cruise lines since that itinerary is more about the ports & scenery, less emphasis on the onboard ship experience. When ds16 (then going on 15) overheard me talking to dh from the other end of the house, he came running in to say he'd rather not cruise at all if it weren't DCL. Even with the skating rink & rock climbing wall on RCCL, which was closed most of the cruise, there were still a lot of boring times. Like at dinner they said, "This is it for dinner? Just come & sit here every night?" :lmao: You gotta admit, dinner on DCL is unlike anything else.
Now they both feel that way regarding the Med cruises too. DCL is always a guaranteed AWESOME family experience for us. Who knows when they'll outgrow it. I still haven't. :goodvibes

you say you are a dvc member, That is how I afford disney cruises. Many people think it is a bad exchange of points but it is the way I afford to cruise. this time I paid by points for my husband and myself and cash for the kids. I don't get on board cridts like most people do but it has helped us enjoy our second disney cruise

Agreed. As much as I love Walt Disney World Resort, the ratio of what you pay to what you get is much better on the cruise, so I think exchange is worth it.

Booking this trip with points, I paid out of pocket for my kids. I opted for a family verhanda suite which was a little pricey. I cost about 2500. We thought about going to disney instead. Even with the free room, when I factored in park tickets and meals the cruise was actually a little cheaper. But I did use two years worth of points. Either way I am counting the days until I set sail

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter