Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

I'll probably end up signing up because I'm a dumb sheep, if I can legit write it off on my taxes.

That said, one of my BFFs works at a low-income local elementary school. She's registering the "graduating" members of her school run club for a race and they're going to have a special event at the school where they run the 5K, they get their medals and then all have pizza and cake afterwards to celebrate the kids moving on to junior high. Because of situations, her students don't have the same opportunities to participate in local events like others do (parents working, cost of registration, etc.) and with the exception of our big marathon weekend, they don't get a chance to do things like this - let alone get bibs and medals for their runs.

And for that reason, I'm 100-percent on board with this.

You cannot write any of the registration fees off on your taxes as none of that fee goes to charity.

I signed up yesterday. It helps keep me motivated to train for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon this fall. :goodvibes

So, since none of the registration fee goes to charity, my wife and I are out. I could justify the expense if a decent portion were going to charity, but I don't need another medal and I don't need additional motivation to run.

Still like what they are doing at most other virtuals - just not he rD ones.

I'm disappointed that none of the registration fee actually goes to charity. I am still doing the race for motivation though.

Wasn't there a congress woman trying to pass legislation a few years ago that would prevent running organizations from claiming "benefits xyz charity" with out posting the % of registration that goes to said charity.

I for one don't think awareness is a benefit. I've very aware of the L&L Society having family who has battled both. So I do feel a little cheated that they are using it as a selling point if no money is going. I am considering writing to Disney and voicing my displeasure that cancer (one that is at the tops of childhood cancer at that) is being used to sell a race but we are now being told that nothing from the race actually supports the organization.

I honestly wonder if they aren't publishing the % so they (Disney) can reap the tax benefits rather than the runners. (ugh...cynical :-()

It could be that at the end of the summer they will make a sizable donation through runDisney to the charity. That's what they use to do to the other charities. So as you put it Disney gets the tax benefit and bases the money on a % of the profit they brought in from the run instead of a % of the entry fees.

I find it really upsetting that no part of the registration goes to charity. Especially given the wording. If I was signing up based on the wording I would think that a portion of the registration goes to charity and therefore would not donate extra at the end. I get that this is a money grab for Disney and because it benefits people who may not be able to run a runDisney race or be comfortable doing so and because it encourages those who need or want extra motivation for their training I can accept that. To each their own. I am disappointed however that they are advertising as if they are raising money for a charity when they're not doing anything other than adding an option at the end of their form. If people wanted to donate to LLS they could just as easily go to their website. People may be justifying the cost of the race in part because they believe it is going to a good cause and it's disappointing that it isn't true.

Since they asked if you wanted to donate in the registration it's not surprising none goes to the charity from the regular fee. Who knows, maybe they will donate some and maybe they won't, doesn't bother me either way and I've learned not always believe just one phone call conversations with Disney of any sort. Lots of runs (or other things) are put on with charities involved and many don't say how much goes to the charity. That's not why my mom signed up anyway, it was to have fun and have a collectable item.

Well, my DH and I are signed up. The timing of this is perfect for me, since I'll be coming off a 6 week doctor ordered rest from running around the end of May. I'll be using the 5k's to help SLOWLY rebuild my base as I start training for Wine & Dine.

I have read this entire thread and while I can understand how some feel about virtual races aren't real or you are just buying a medal or the whole debate about getting medal if you didn't finish a race I don't get the negativity. I trained for over a year to do the 2013 Princess 1/2 marathon - my first ever race of any kind and 3 days before I was to leave for WDW I got injured. Everyone from my family to doctors and friends told me I should not do the Princess but as I told them I had to as I worked too hard to get where I was. I did the race in a full leg brace, and bruises and I only got as far as just getting ready to enter MK before I was pulled. Was I upset and hurt and angry? Yes but when I got off the bus and the race volunteers put the medal on me I was happy. Not that I got the medal but I did something that I never thought I could. I was proud of what I accomplished and I may not have finished the race but to me I did. My family and friends who were never once told me I didn't deserve it, I did. I worked hard for that medal. Last year was the first time I was able to really participate in another race and it was a virtual race for the collage I am enrolled in. With that race, you registered, given a virtual bid and on the day of the race those participating virtually had to tweet their start (showing the bid) and tweet 2 more time during the race and at the end. No I didn't win and I wasn't expecting too but I finished. That was my medal.

So, I am happy to say I just registered for the Virtual Running Shorts Series and I am happy about it. I am glad RunDisney is doing a virtual race as this motivates me to continue training and improving and planning on one day finishing the Princess. While writing this post decided that this will be the last time I come into this forum as I see more negativity and less support for those who choose a race that fits them and what they are comfortable doing. The medals, yea a nice bonus, but for me it is knowing that I will have accomplished something else towards my goal. To those that are registered for the Virtual Shorts races, I say, Good Luck, have fun and congratulations on doing something for you!

I registered for the challenge. I think it will be a fun and motivating way to get in some runs over the hot summer months here in Florida! Plus I love Mickey! I only wish for that price that they would throw in a shirt.

If they threw in a shirt it would be $55+ easy.

Even Beat the Blerch virtual is $50 and they aren't Disney. (Awesome, though)

Since they asked if you wanted to donate in the registration it's not surprising none goes to the charity from the regular fee. Who knows, maybe they will donate some and maybe they won't, doesn't bother me either way and I've learned not always believe just one phone call conversations with Disney of any sort. Lots of runs (or other things) are put on with charities involved and many don't say how much goes to the charity. That's not why my mom signed up anyway, it was to have fun and have a collectable item.

Just for clarity - there were several phone calls to RunDisney.

Just for clarity - there were several phone calls to RunDisney.
Yeah, guess so, as I've noticed that on facebook. Still doesn't matter as honestly we didn't even notice the charity listed until registering my mom. Some are saying false advertising, but it's not in big bold letters all over the place that money goes to them, it says benefiting them at the bottom of one page and asks if you want to donate when registering (unless I'm missing something)...so yeah, again to each their own. As I've said, I'm not a virtual race person but as collectable items I think it's kind of neat if you are a Disney fan & run...and it's not a knock off like others I've seen using Disney or other big names to promote their virtual races without paying rights.

For the record, I have no problem with what rD is doing here. It will absolutely motivate some people, and that is enough. I really don't care how much rD charges for these things. $$ isn't going to influence my decision on way or the other. I just don't need additional motivation to run, so unless there were something really compelling about a virtual race, I wouldn't be interested. Raising money for certain charities would reach that bar for me. In this case, my participation would not help raise a cent for charity, so that is out.

But I don't feel like rD is guilty of "false advertising" here because they don't specify how much money they will be donating to charity. In fact, they don't say that they are donating anything to charity. Go to a site like the one for Hogwarts Running Club and the message is very clear - in their case, that about 70% of the registration fee goes to charity.

I think that all organizations using an NPO as part of their pitch should advertise how much they anticipate going to the charity mentioned.

I've participated in some races that are clear on this front and others that aren't. I think it's just the right thing to do in order to avoid any confusion and be 100% above board.

I think that all organizations using an NPO as part of their pitch should advertise how much they anticipate going to the charity mentioned.

I've participated in some races that are clear on this front and others that aren't. I think it's just the right thing to do in order to avoid any confusion and be 100% above board.
Totally agree, but large corporations have legal departments...

I totally signed up! I don't care if it's yet another Disney money grab. At least it's not taking anything away, it's offering something new that doesn't seem to detract from anyone else's runDisney experience.

I love the race medal concept w/ Mickey. I have zero problems with virtual races, I think they're a fun idea and I know many race groups offer them. Overall it works for me. It would be excellent if money went to charity, but that's not a requirement for me personally. I'd like Disney to be clear about how the charitable part works if they're going to advertise it, though.

I definitely don't need motivation to run, but the medals will be a very happy treat on my long road to recovery from a big non-running injury, which has sadly forced me to stay away from Disney races for quite a while. So I'm excited!

:sunny:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter