confessions and a question about sharing meals and dieting in the world

chucklhd

Earning My Ears
Ok Bless me Walt for I have sinned...I have been to Disney 21 times but failed to plan ahead and book my TS res. early enough. I travel in 10 days and just started booking. I know the shame, I am sorry.

But I never did the DDP before. I am traveling with my parents and some neighbors 5 adults in total. Having just come off a weight loss binge losing over 100 lbs (all naturally, diet and exercise, not by any operations) I am worried about the amount of food in the plan.

How do those of you who share meals make it work? Please please inquiring health conscious minds want to know.

It sounds counter-intuitive but sharing isn't always good diet advice. Frequently the only way you'll have enough food to share at CS meals is if you eat all of the stuff you shouldn't be eating at all, breakfast potato's and fries.

You don't have to order dessert and appetizers at TS restaurants but in many cases these are the more fattening items.

Instead of sharing - make better choices.

MGM has fresh and fresh cut fruit and salads at the CS near ToT. MK has Cosmic Rays and you can get a veggie burger (and leave the bun) with a side of carrots. Peco Bills has salads and a wrap that you can share.

CA Grill - you can order a salad and a flat bread if you don't want much food. Also, sushi is an excellet protein strong meal. Shrimp cocktail is also an excellent source of protein.

Jiko - Excellent filet mingeon that is very petite (about 5 oz). Eat what you can and leave the rest.

Spoodles - lots of options to get yourself in trouble, but they have a chicken dish that you can eat half and bring back to your room for someone else to eat at a later time.

Also, bring a scale! What a motivator! Also, where are you staying? Take an early morning walk and it will reduce your chances of collecting extra calories.

Bring power/protein bars. I love LUNA bars. I keep two in my purse, just in case!

Losing 100 lbs. (congratulations), you must have an exercise program. Try to double it while at Disney. Even though you may eat less, some chefs put ingredients that have a higher caloric value than what you would make at home.

Don't rely on walking around WDW as an exercise plan. Most walk about 3 miles at WDW and an active lifestyle would be at 5 miles a day, so try a nice walk or jog in the morning. Exercise rooms at BWV and Poly are nice.

Incorporate what you did to lose the weight at WDW. Being on vacation should not stop your motivation. 100 lbs. doesn't come off easy or quickly (naturally), so what type of exercise routine are you doing now?

I'm on Weight Watchers and don't want to gain a bunch of weight while at Disney. I will also be in a wheel chair so I want even be getting much exercise.

I plan on using my CS and TS credits and just make sensible choices.

i.e. when I go to Corral Reef I could have the shrimp cocktail, some kind of grilled fish for the entree and leave the carbs, and just have a couple of bites of the dessert.

For CS I plan of make smart choices and share my meal with my DS2 who isn't on the dinning plan but who sure can eat.

Luckily my 3 boys love to eat and will finish up anything I don't want.

Just remember you don't have to eat everything in front of you - you can just take a couple of bites and leave the rest.

Anita
DH, DS10, DS6 and DS2

Waiting for Sept.

If you've lost 100 pounds by dieting and exercise, you've got enough discipline not to have to worry about the DDP. You'll eat rationally.

Stop worrying and have a great trip!

Unless you have some mega diet resolve, I would avoid the buffets - that's where I lose all control! Congrats on losing the 100 pounds!

You've also got to keep in mind that to gain a pound, you have to eat 3,500 extra calories! I say relax (not binge, but relax) on vacation, then redouble your efforts at home.

Congrats on the weight loss..
I would say handle it the same way you would at home when you go out to eat.
Just because you get an appetizer doesnt mean you have to order one.
Try and order sensiblely and then when its brought to you eat until you are just full and then ask for your plate to be taken away or ask for a extra plate and put part of the portion on the extra plate and ask server to remove it. ( Can you tell Im a fellow dieter?, lol)
Also with the amount of walking you will do I think a reward is in order and your in WDW on vacation so splurge a little, I know I am I lost 70 pounds with 10 more to go but I plan on loosing 5 before I go but eatting what I want and then getting back to business when I get back home..

Thanks everyone. I am ready to take the world by storm (and not every meal that way!)

Here I go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter