Condolences to Georgia Bulldog Nation

Very sad. This is picture is worthy of its own post.
He let the young man try on his championship ring hours before he was killed.
I don’t know who he was, but I think he was quite a nice young man!
Condolences to his loved ones and teammates. 😢

1673801597704.jpeg

1673801644461.jpeg

UGA AD makes first extensive comments.

In a statement released late Tuesday afternoon, athletic director Josh Brooks said: “We want to emphasize that these individuals were not engaged in Athletic Department duties around the time of this incident.”

https://news.yahoo.com/uga-ad-josh-brooks-comments-214918139.html

To me it seems a little "cold" to be developing a Legal Strategy this close to such a horrendous event.

Reactions: GAN

In a statement released late Tuesday afternoon, athletic director Josh Brooks said: “We want to emphasize that these individuals were not engaged in Athletic Department duties around the time of this incident.”

To me it seems a little "cold" to be developing a Legal Strategy this close to such a horrendous event.
My boys went to UGA. Seems they all were riding in a UGA football owned vehicle. That changes things immensely. Now, lawsuits are probably imminent and they are limited in what they can say.

They are covering. All of them were drunk, there are pictures of them leaving a local strip club. It's been stated that she (the girl driving) was going too fast and just couldn't take the curve. Plus, the girls worked in the recruiting department, they are not supposed to date the players. Just one big mess for the athletic department. I live in Athens (well 10 miles out) and my family has a long history with UGA. Daddy graduated from there, Mama went there and got her MRS degree, one of brother's graduated from there, my hubby graduated from there, my son graduated from there, I worked there. So I'm fairly loyal to UGA but who knows what will come of it.

We were in south Georgia a few weekends ago and on the way home saw 3 billboards with the football player who was killed on them, all advertising for lawyers if you were in a wreck. I'm going to assume those will come down soon since they were put up before the accident. It was tragic but not surprising. This town excuses a lot for football (heck people set the street on fire after they won the game, actually set the street on fire). This is a town with 3 separate police departments - county police, sheriff's office, UGA police and the State Patrol has an office within the city limits. There are cameras on every street corner down town. Taxes are over the top. There is no way they did not know things were going to get out of hand and couldn't have had a bigger police presence on the streets. There was a parade the next weekend (the weekend of the accident) which meant again a big party down town. The Athletic Department usually has a pretty firm hand with the Athletes but I'm sure the thought process was a little of well they just won the 2nd National Championship and boys will be boys and look at all the money they brought in. I'm just surprised that there weren't more accidents those two weekends, there was a lot of alcohol flowing.

I'll bite... how long should they wait?

They are covering. All of them were drunk, there are pictures of them leaving a local strip club. It's been stated that she (the girl driving) was going too fast and just couldn't take the curve. Plus, the girls worked in the recruiting department, they are not supposed to date the players. Just one big mess for the athletic department. I live in Athens (well 10 miles out) and my family has a long history with UGA. Daddy graduated from there, Mama went there and got her MRS degree, one of brother's graduated from there, my hubby graduated from there, my son graduated from there, I worked there. So I'm fairly loyal to UGA but who knows what will come of it.

We were in south Georgia a few weekends ago and on the way home saw 3 billboards with the football player who was killed on them, all advertising for lawyers if you were in a wreck. I'm going to assume those will come down soon since they were put up before the accident. It was tragic but not surprising. This town excuses a lot for football (heck people set the street on fire after they won the game, actually set the street on fire). This is a town with 3 separate police departments - county police, sheriff's office, UGA police and the State Patrol has an office within the city limits. There are cameras on every street corner down town. Taxes are over the top. There is no way they did not know things were going to get out of hand and couldn't have had a bigger police presence on the streets. There was a parade the next weekend (the weekend of the accident) which meant again a big party down town. The Athletic Department usually has a pretty firm hand with the Athletes but I'm sure the thought process was a little of well they just won the 2nd National Championship and boys will be boys and look at all the money they brought in. I'm just surprised that there weren't more accidents those two weekends, there was a lot of alcohol flowing.

Thanks for the info.

That is so ironic and sad about the Billboard.

Last edited:
If you follow college sports enough (both my kids competed and DD worked for two big DIV I athletic depts, one at a very high level in GA) you knew the minute it happened that there were going to be issues. The fact is that recruit staff and that athlete should never have been together after hours, add that we now know there were two staff and two players .... red flags from the moment it happened. Add middle of night and high speed - she "sliced through a pair of utility poles, struck two trees and finally came to rest against an apartment building". No good was going to come from the answers. The department is going to be hit with ramifications on so many levels, not just financial, they have to try to get ahead of it.

NOTE: I read the car was a rental and at the time they were not indicating who rented it. That could be another problem for UGA if the athletic dept rented it.

Last edited:
As soon as it was announced that it was staff members and players after a party I though it would be alcohol related with a side of improper relationship. It seems to be leaning that way.

As soon as it was announced that it was staff members and players after a party I though it would be alcohol related with a side of improper relationship. It seems to be leaning that way.
And add to that it was reportedly a "Gentleman's Club" they went to and it doesn't seem like it could be much worse.

Young people do stupid things and so tragically there are sometimes brutal consequences.

What should be one of the most celebratory periods in University of Georgia history now has a permanent pall.

So sad on so many levels for so many people.

And add to that it was reportedly a "Gentleman's Club" they went to and it doesn't seem like it could be much worse.

Young people do stupid things and so tragically there are sometimes brutal consequences.

What should be one of the most celebratory periods in University of Georgia history now has a permanent pall.

So sad on so many levels for so many people.
"Gentleman's Club", that is so funny. Is was the one and only strip club in town. It's been here for at least 20 years or so, and trust me, there is nothing gentlemanly about it.

If you follow college sports enough (both my kids competed and DD worked for two big DIV I athletic depts, one at a very high level in GA) you knew the minute it happened that there were going to be issues. The fact is that recruit staff and that athlete should never have been together after hours, add that we now know there were two staff and two players .... red flags from the moment it happened. Add middle of night and high speed - she "sliced through a pair of utility poles, struck two trees and finally came to rest against an apartment building". No good was going to come from the answers. The department is going to be hit with ramifications on so many levels, not just financial, they have to try to get ahead of it.

NOTE: I read the car was a rental and at the time they were not indicating who rented it. That could be another problem for UGA if the athletic dept rented it.
Looks like the car was rented by the Athletic Department for Recruiting only as you suspected.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/28/us/uga-football-willock-lecroy-car-crash-saturday/index.html

“Policies and expectations that were well understood by athletics staff dictated that such rental vehicles were to be turned in at the immediate conclusion of recruiting duties,” the statement read. “The continued use of the leased car by our staff members after their recruiting duties ended earlier that evening was unauthorized.”

Looks like the car was rented by the Athletic Department for Recruiting only as you suspected.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/28/us/uga-football-willock-lecroy-car-crash-saturday/index.html

“Policies and expectations that were well understood by athletics staff dictated that such rental vehicles were to be turned in at the immediate conclusion of recruiting duties,” the statement read. “The continued use of the leased car by our staff members after their recruiting duties ended earlier that evening was unauthorized.”

The University is doing everything it can at this point to paint the picture of a staff member breaking policy and using the car against the rules of the team. It will be interesting to find out over the course of an investigation how strictly that policy was enforced. If it was on paper but the University had a habit of turning a blind eye to personal use the policy might not do much to protect them.

YIKES. Not good. Honestly there is no excuse with the ability to GPS or have digital check in and out system. Been very close to coaches & recruiting at other DIV I and .... lines were crossed here. Good thing the team did well and was fruitful because this could be very costly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter