• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Compare purchase of DVC and Military Discount

Goofyforher

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone has compared purchasing a DVC, direct or resale, to getting the 40% discount available to military personnel? We are ale to get almost $1400 off a 1 Bedroom villa at AKL the last week of July. I think it is better to use the discount, am I wrong? I have just recently started looking into this and don't want to rush into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My first thought when I read your post is that the military discounts are not guaranteed. They can end tomorrow. If the 40% off were to go away, would the 1 BR at AKV still be affordable? I know it's hard, but you should really base your analysis on rack rate. Discounts can be drastically reduced or not offered at all, at any time.

My first thought when I read your post is that the military discounts are not guaranteed. They can end tomorrow. If the 40% off were to go away, would the 1 BR at AKV still be affordable? I know it's hard, but you should really base your analysis on rack rate. Discounts can be drastically reduced or not offered at all, at any time.

We don't know if the military discount will be there forever, but we know that DVC will still be there in 40 years (at least). So if the military discount will be removed (not likely), he can still buy DVC at the time.

If you are going to deluxe resorts with the 40% discount, DVC will let you save money (not a lot), but you trade other things like daily housekeeping and easy to book the period you like and last minute.
If you want to save money, a moderate or value resort will be more convenient than owning DVC.

Military discounts are far from guaranteed. The current discounts have only been offered for the last 3 years and there's no quarantee they'll be offered next year. We're both DVC owners AND military(retired) so we have access to both, but I'd say my DVC has saved me far more money over the years than the military discount, although it's certainly appreciated!

We have used the Military Discount when going with my father in law (retired Navy) and I can tell you the price they quoted us for a 2 bedroom at SSR was slightly less than renting a 2 br from BLT at $10 a point. So, if we had owned, the military discount would NOT have been the same as my per year point cost. However, even if you do buy into DVC, you can still get the military discount on park tickets. Usually a 4 day park hopper for $130. That is what we paid. Three years ago we got a 5 day for the same price. My father in law got his for free, and was allowed to buy up to 5 for the $130 price.

No discount is EVER guaranteed. I would continue to use the Military Discount until it is no longer an option. You are not tied to making your plans 11 months in advance (although we do this anyway even before being DVC just due to budgeting). But that is me. Take it while you got it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter