Community Service

Grumpy John

DIS Veteran
I need to get this off my chest. We travel to the US twice a year for holidays and everytime we are driving down the supeb road system her indoors:mad: and myself are always commenting on the way the road system is always kept clear of rubbish. Driving down the 192 you will always see workers picking up litter etc. Where is the UK going wrong? Our motorways are filthy. The laybys are litter strewn. The town we live in is a dirty, filthy place and not one we are particularly proud to live near. Everyone pays high council taxes. Surely there must be ways of keeping our towns and cities a lot cleaner. How about making those people who offend and are given community service the job of keeping our towns and cities rubbish free. How about those who claim social security and cannot be bothered to find a job earn their dole money. Anyone else out there feel as strongly as us or are we just living in a fantasy world and everyone is nice and clean!

It just makes you realise what a great place America is!!!!

Since coming back nearly 4 weeks ago,ive found myself picking holes in everything. Today I went for a milkshake in starbucks, the service was lousy, and the milkshake certainly didnt live up to Ghiardelli's!!!:mad:

I know what you mean about the place being dirty, again Just shows how great america is, I certainly wouldnt hesitate to move there, the people are alot more friendly and polite!!!

jules

When I first visited the US on my return I was constantly picking holes in the differences between GB/US. After further thought and more visits I realised that the differences are due to the fact that a vast amount of people in this world visit US. Would we all continue to travel for over 8 hours if WDW was not as good as it is? Would we all travel up and down the 192 if there were not plenty of shops, restaurnats and Wal Marts - I don't think so!!!!

Oh guys, there's trash along many of our highways. Wish it weren't so, but it is. Each state handles it differently. One of the things they do around here is allow groups to sponsor a stretch of road. Like the Boy Scouts. They'll be responsible for keeping a certain highway clean.

In Alabama, they have chain gains. It's been a hot topic down there, but I'm all for it. They take prisoners out, hook them all together on chain lines and have them pick up trash. I see that as paying their debt to society and acting as deterrent to any yahoos who think prison is a barrel of laughs.

I think a previous poster is right, we have so many foreign visitors/US tourists to FL, that the state puts a premium on looking good.

Now if they could just do something about abandoned strip malls. :(

I agree about the vast numbers travelling to Orlando not only to visit WDW. There are other places beside WDW who do not receive the numbers but they still manage to keep their towns etc clean and tidy. What must overseas visitors to say London think when they experience the state of the so called capital.

It's been 10 years since I've been to the UK and I don't remember London being especially dirty. But, if it were, the nice people would make up for it. :p

I always comment on the difference between Orlando International airport and Gatwick and say the same thing, GJ. Having said that, MCO <i>does</i> regularly win awards, so it's probably not a fair comparison. And if you've ever been to JFK you'll know it's a hellish place.

The 192 was not always such a smart place, either. The $29 million BeautiVacation Project has changed it almost beyond recognition. I've also passed through some less than immaculate areas around Kissimmee (although not the town proper which is very smart) and Tampa.

The chain gang idea works for me.

I have to say that although we do have our faults in this country we also have an awful lot to be proud of. I do get a bit sick of us always moaning and not seeing just how lucky we are. Have you visited the Cotswolds lately or York or the Lake District, just to name a few parts of our beautiful country.
I recently visited LA and I have to say I found parts of it extremely dirty and unsafe. I think if everybody bases the whole of the US on what they see in Orlando, and particularly WDW, then it's a somewhat narrow view.
I agree that London is not the cleanest place in the world but it is probably no worse than the vast majority of major cities. I have travelled widely and I have to say that of the places I've visited London is my favourite city by far.
I have also experienced bad service in the US although in Orlando It has tended to be good.
It's refreshing to see Steph's view on it as she lives there and can therefore give a more rounded view.
Tracy

I attended a 'Fear of Flying' course a few years back run by a BA Captain of some 30+ years. The course ended with a flight out of London, down over the south coast, around the south east and back into London. This guy had flown many times into every major city in the World, and reckoned he still got a thrill flying over London - the most beautiful city of all, he said. Food for thought.

I've been to London on business several times in the last couple of months and, from the back of a cab at least, I would say the tourist areas are very well kept. It's a long time since I visited our capital city, but I've been inspired to make the effort again.

I think it's down to the British mentality. I think every country I've visited has been cleaner than the UK, but if you want clean try Singapore.

I agree with the posts about community service.

I totally agree with Tracy.

There may be some things wrong with this country - but there are many things wrong in America as well - it's just that we don't always see what goes on 'behind the toursit scene'. I'm sure there are some areas outside of the tourist areas of Orlando that are not very well kept.

London may not be the cleanest city in the world, but I have visited some much worse places in America and other places in the world. The main tourist 'hot-spots' within the U.K seem to be very well-kept IMO and I don't agree that 'Our motorways are filthy'.

All countries have there strengths and weaknesses and I have visited places some much better and some much worse than the U.K.

I do, however agree regarding the airports. London's airports must be some of the worst.

Richard. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter