• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Colonoscopy 2/3 day prep? UPDATE on page 4!

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
My first colonoscopy is scheduled in September and I’m doing the Mira lax Gatorade prep. My doctor said I can stretch the prep over a few days as long as I do a liquid diet but I don’t have specific instructions for drinking the mixture. Has anyone broken up the prep over a few days? I can’t handle all that liquid at once I have slow digestion. Can I drink 32oz one day then 32oz the next? Anyone ever done this? Thanks

I’ve never heard of that. You herd yo get bless directions or they won’t be able to do the scope.

I usually start drinking the slop the evening before the procedure. You are not allowed to eat after you start taking it, so unless you want to fast for two days, I don't see how you could do it. The drink will make you go, a lot, that is what it is for, to clean you out.

How bad do the drinks taste? Dh has one coming up and he’s picky about his beverages so I’m worried that he won’t be able to drink the prep.
is this something you sip throughout the day or do you have to chug it?

My first colonoscopy is scheduled in September and I’m doing the Mira lax Gatorade prep. My doctor said I can stretch the prep over a few days as long as I do a liquid diet but I don’t have specific instructions for drinking the mixture. Has anyone broken up the prep over a few days? I can’t handle all that liquid at once I have slow digestion. Can I drink 32oz one day then 32oz the next? Anyone ever done this? Thanks
My wife and I have had a total of probably 4 over the past ten years. Using the newer procedure, our gastro doc has said to drink half of the gallon of liquid the evening before the procedure and the remainder the morning of the procedure, about 3 hours of so before it for a final, good cleanse.

Good luck, sweet dreams. You'll do great.

the miralax split prep is typically done half the evening before the procedure (mixed in gatorade that is not red) and half somewhere around 6 or 8 hours before the procedure (at my facility anyway). It tastes significantly better than the golytely prep which makes me vomit as soon as it touches my lips. I would double check with the facility about timing day of test so there is no aspiration risk during the procedure. You don't want to go through the prep and have the procedure cancelled.

You need to call back and talk to the nurse. They should’ve given you a print-out of the steps. DH did something OTC like Miralax, and it was much better tasting than the prescription drink.

How bad do the drinks taste? Dh has one coming up and he’s picky about his beverages so I’m worried that he won’t be able to drink the prep.

All the preps are BAD. Tough to get down but you get used to it. I wish they still did the prep with the pills. It was still a LOT of liquid but at least there wasn't that taste.

I think the least offensive prep is the Miralax prep as that's relatively flavorless. But I know my gastro is not a fan of that unless you can't manage anything else.

I take each half gallon over a period of about 30 minutes. Not sipping for sure, but not chugging like he's at a frat party. Just drinking a glass about every 5 minutes or so. I'm not sure that I have drunk worse over my life, but it is not terrible, really. Though I would much rather have a beer, glass of wine or a Diet Coke. But, it's not terrible.

I did the Miralax prep with the Dulcolax pills and started it at 3:00 the day before the procedure (my procedure was at 8:00 the next morning). They gave me printed out instructions and there are also websites with advice on how to prep for a colonoscopy, including the best things to eat in the days before and such. There are also charts to let you know when you're done and your colon is all cleaned out (based on the color of what you'll be passing).

I seem to recall that I mixed up two quarts of Gatorade and Miralax and the instructions were to drink a certain amount every 15 minutes until it was gone. I also had to take a couple of Dulcolax. At first nothing was happening, but then suddenly it was!

My advice: Once you start taking the mixture, sit on the john and basically don't get off until you're done. Get some books and a radio. Because once things start moving you won't have time to get to the bathroom. Also get some disposable undies like Depends and wear them while you're prepping, just in case. That's what I did. If your prep goes like mine, you'll be passing mostly liquid and it will happen very suddenly with no warning.

My prep had no flavor except for the Gatorade (I used the lemon lime flavor). Miralax is flavorless.

Since it's your first, I'd suggest calling the doctor's office and ask for a detailed, exact schedule on when to do everything. If you're not cleaned out enough they won't be able to do the procedure and you'll have to reschedule and do it all over again, so you'll want to make sure it's done properly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am waiting on an appointment for my first colonoscopy. I am very concerned about the prep. I already have functional diarrhea and missing a dose of my medication has laxative effect. I feel like I will be sleeping on the toilet the night before, as I can't imagine being able to get to the toilet quick enough.

10 years ago I had to drink a gallon of awful tasking stuff.
Last year it was 1 16 ounce of bottle the night before, not great tasting but not bad. Almost painless.
Never heard of multiple day prep either, so no experience there.

I am waiting on an appointment for my first colonoscopy. I am very concerned about the prep. I already have functional diarrhea and missing a dose of my medication has laxative effect. I feel like I will be sleeping on the toilet the night before, as I can't imagine being able to get to the toilet quick enough.
Well, can't speak to your condition but your insides will likely be completely empty within an hour of taking the prep solution.

the miralax split prep is typically done half the evening before the procedure (mixed in gatorade that is not red) and half somewhere around 6 or 8 hours before the procedure (at my facility anyway). It tastes significantly better than the golytely prep which makes me vomit as soon as it touches my lips. I would double check with the facility about timing day of test so there is no aspiration risk during the procedure. You don't want to go through the prep and have the procedure cancelled.
This is exactly the prep routine I followed. I had an afternoon procedure, so I started the prep drink the evening before and did the second drink the morning of. I also followed a restricted diet for several days prior.

The prep wasn’t bad tasting at all mixed with cold Gatorade (the original Gatorade). It tasted just like Gatorade.

Your doctor should have special instructions for you, I'd think. I seem to recall that my instructions said to take any medications that you need to, they just don't want you to eat right before the test. But your doctor will know for sure.

See if you can get an early morning appointment. I started my prep at 3:00 in the afternoon and by 10:00 I was pretty much done. I slept in my bed but wore a disposable undie. Wasn't the most restful night I ever had but at that point I was pretty much cleaned out so I mostly got up to get rid of the water. Good luck!!

Oh, the prep- if only it were easy! I have family history and started age 35, and have gone in 3 year intervals until this year- told I can stretch out to 5.

A week prior I stop vitamins, supplements, and Advil. 5-6 days prior I shift my diet to no red meat, seeds, nuts, low fiber. Two days before I take a dulcolax and eat lightly easily digestible food like bread and rice. Prep day I take 1 dulcolax, have some toast with jelly and coffee and start the drink around 4 pm. I get through about 1/2 to 2/3 of the drink before I’m clear. Directions are to drink it all, but with the 2-day ‘prep’ (for me it is taking the dulcolax over two days), I’m clear we’ll before. I’ve done this 3 times and my doc approved (for me). I just can’t drink all that liquid- it makes me vomit. Maybe a longer prep will work better for you too for your own reasons.

If it’s your first one, ask your doc to clarify the ‘several days concept’. The goal is to be empty of everything when you go in for the procedure. Great that you are going - hope your test goes well!

Last edited:
I did the Miralax prep with the Dulcolax pills and started it at 3:00 the day before the procedure (my procedure was at 8:00 the next morning). They gave me printed out instructions and there are also websites with advice on how to prep for a colonoscopy, including the best things to eat in the days before and such. There are also charts to let you know when you're done and your colon is all cleaned out (based on the color of what you'll be passing).

I seem to recall that I mixed up two quarts of Gatorade and Miralax and the instructions were to drink a certain amount every 15 minutes until it was gone. I also had to take a couple of Dulcolax. At first nothing was happening, but then suddenly it was!

My advice: Once you start taking the mixture, sit on the john and basically don't get off until you're done. Get some books and a radio. Because once things start moving you won't have time to get to the bathroom. Also get some disposable undies like Depends and wear them while you're prepping, just in case. That's what I did. If your prep goes like mine, you'll be passing mostly liquid and it will happen very suddenly with no warning.

My prep had no flavor except for the Gatorade (I used the lemon lime flavor). Miralax is flavorless.

Since it's your first, I'd suggest calling the doctor's office and ask for a detailed, exact schedule on when to do everything. If you're not cleaned out enough they won't be able to do the procedure and you'll have to reschedule and do it all over again, so you'll want to make sure it's done properly.

Good luck!
That;s pretty much how mine was. Had my last one in June.

You should have been given step by step instructions and times.
What you can and can't eat for several days before and what meds and OTC drugs to stop taking

Last edited:
Hi Christa, I just had my 1st colonoscopy. I did Miralax with apple juice. It's 2 bottles total and 64oz apple juice (or Gatorade) .At 3:00 I had to take 4 Dulcolax. Then had to drink the 1st bottle at 4:00 pm and finish by 6:00. Then the 2nd dose and finish by 9:00. That wasn't that bad. Miralax has no flavor. The worst part was going to the bathroom all night. My husband got done his cleansing pretty quickly. I have diarrhea issues also, do yourself a favor, stay VERY close to the bathroom. I was in there every 20 minutes all night. It's tough but I put it off for years due to anxiety and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The prep is the worst part, but you have to do it. As others have said, if you are not cleaned out, they will cancel the procedure, and you have to do prep again. It is no fun, and you will be on the toilet all night. Just accept that and get on with it. Do it, get it over with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter