College parents...fall semester?

That pull to socialize is undeniable. It's hard to overcome. Maybe they should try working on a message that gets through the point that a sacrifice will come either way. If too much carefree congregating happens then they'll likely be giving up the few normal things left to campus life this semester.

It looks like some schools mention disciplinary action but under such new territory it's uncertain how much will be enforced in practice.
The message sent to students late this week was "People are expecting you to fail this weekend. Prove them wrong". :lmao: More points for trying. But kids know this is serious business. Word is definitely out about other schools enforcing their policies.
How crazy! It's ridiculous that parents are complaining that the school is stepping in to keep their kids safe! I had a discussion just yesterday with DS about how his school is planning to do just that, and the benefits of having a good attitude toward their efforts.

:rotfl:

DS starts Wednesday. He is not fond of math is happy that his only "math" this year is technically a psychology department class (Psych Stats) - so he's really hoping it's taught with non math majors in mind!

His schedule is mostly set. He has two in-person classes - that one (class one day and lab one day) and a sociology elective that was small enough not to split, and will meet twice a week. He also has two hybrid classes - divided into two cohorts, who each meet in person one day and work online one day.

Then he's in one more class that he has yet to hear from on the arrangements. The prof's e-mail just said more info will follow. I'm guessing it will be split, but it's an education class, for which they can no longer do observations, so some people may push it off to spring semester, in hopes they will be allowed then. I think she is waiting on final numbers before she calls it.

All of his classes will meet online for the first two days, though, as the school knows some students will still be waiting on test results.
The complaining parents are shedding a lot of light on things for me. I know these kids are driven to be social, but parents justifying their behavior only make things worse. My DD knows if she gets involved in anything like this, she'll be paying the consequences herself and won't find sympathy with us. That said, she's been working a lot of hours and living life in small groups right now. She and her 3 apartment mates agreed not to do large groups for now.

Best of luck to your son as he gets started! At this point, I consider any in person class a win.
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out, I totally missed that.
Makes sense then.
I know my dd's school has reached out to local landlords asking them to be vigilant about not letting students have parties. I think the county limit where she is is 50 so it's easy for that to be exceeded, not sure what happens though if students have parties with less people.
The way I'm reading it, the University is highly encouraging local PD to strictly enforce the 100 person limit. If in the course of enforcing it, they encounter University students breaking the 20 person limit, they don't have legal issues with the police, but are being referred back to the University for enforcement of the conduct pledge.

My son goes back on Friday. His anxiety is kicking in to full gear, and mine isn’t much better. His isn’t directly COVID related, but the fact there are going to be so many changes certainly doesn’t help. The class that he was looking forward to the most was canceled completely, and he chose another that he isn’t too happy about to replace it. His math class is completely remote. Another class is remote with in-person exams, and the last two are hybrid. He has a lab (or maybe two) that are in-person, but they are limiting the number of students in the lab and others will be watching from a hallway waiting to switch places. I feel like it’s going to be so high pressure with little in the way of fun ways to relieve it, but I’m hoping for the best. He’s just always so anxious at school anyway but still resistant to trying counseling. I am going to miss him like crazy, since he’s been here since the beginning of March, but it’s time for him to go back. Please send pixie dust and good thoughts that it goes well for him!

Update from University of Central Florida:

Well, we checked in last Saturday (not yesterday) and everything went smooth...in an exhausting, back-breaking kind of way.

We got some early morning intel that the checkin appointment time meant nothing and you could just show up -- so we did. We went two hours early, and had no problems at all. Covid test in one parking garage took about 10 minutes, drove to the other garage for housing checkin, and then on to the dorm. The whole process took less than 20 minutes including the driving/parking part.

DD received her negative test result the next day, because we didn't know she had to log back into the lab site to get results. The results might have been there same-day.

I, and other DIS/UCF parents, have been impressed by the compliance with the mandatory mask policy. In three days, we saw only a handful of violation -- and those were mostly people carrying stuff into the dorms.

UCF has posted their testing results, as of COB on Saturday, August 22 -- the next to last day of regular dorm move-in. All dorm residents are required to test. They report 159 positive results out of 5,732 tests, for a very low 2.8% positivity rate.

Since the beginning of Covid back in the early Spring, UCF has reported a total (including the above dorm tests) of 364 positive tests. Keep in mind that this is the largest public university in the US, with almost 70,000 students.

UCF claims to have about 30% of their classes in-person, but I suspect that's a greatly inflated estimate. DD doesn't know anybody who has even one in-person class, and I only know of only one student who has any.

However, Orlando cases and positivity rates continue to decline. If the good compliance continues and nothing explodes off-campus, I expect some of the online classes to begin to morph into "blends" and maybe even to full in-person by the end the semester. Wish us luck!

Just heard that a nearby school to ds's had over 100 students test positive, in person classes temporarily cancelled. Unfortunately ds's school does not require testing and many students party at that other school.

We're leaving Friday for a move in on Saturday. It's finally close enough that it is starting to feel real. I have a small pit in my stomach that's a mixture of excitement, anxiety and dread. I just wish that Covid wasn't here casting a dark shadow over one of life's most iconic and exciting moments for my son. I wish we didn't have to wonder whether he might have to quarantine or classes might be canceled or he might have to move back home. I wish it was just the usual college excitement of meeting roommates and going to classes and living on your own for the first time. But it is what it is and we will make the best of it!

We are starting to accumulate all the items we need to take from bedding and bathroom stuff to all the kitchen stuff. It's all gathering in the dining room getting ready to be packed. My son is living in a on campus with 9 other boys. Of course no one has emailed to see what others are bringing so we're just trying to bring everything he will need. He is bringing 2 monitors for his computer with an elaborate arm set up which I doubt is going to fit on the small desk. He insists they will, so we will see. He's a Computer Science major so that's his livelihood.

Believe it or not, all his classes are face to face right now. I really hope they stay that way. He does so much better with in person learning. His university is not doing testing. I really wish they were.

This is my oldest going and I am going to miss him so much! I want this for him and am so excited, but at the same time I can't believe it is already time for him to be moving out. We are very close and him leaving will really be hard for me.

We are starting to accumulate all the items we need to take from bedding and bathroom stuff to all the kitchen stuff. It's all gathering in the dining room getting ready to be packed. My son is living in a on campus with 9 other boys. Of course no one has emailed to see what others are bringing so we're just trying to bring everything he will need. He is bringing 2 monitors for his computer with an elaborate arm set up which I doubt is going to fit on the small desk. He insists they will, so we will see. He's a Computer Science major so that's his livelihood.
The boys REALLY need to do a group chat to figure out who is bringing what. Otherwise you will end up with nine game consoles and no kitchen utensils! You really need to push him on this issue -- boys are not girls.

On the furniture and related stuff, I got a wealth of info from YouTube videos -- specific to the dorm DD is in. Search Google Images and YouTube both by dorm name and you may get lucky. By watching the videos and pausing occasionally, we were able to get a really good idea about what would fit and what would not fit.
This is my oldest going and I am going to miss him so much! I want this for him and am so excited, but at the same time I can't believe it is already time for him to be moving out. We are very close and him leaving will really be hard for me.
You'll be fine, and he'll be fine -- but the first couple of days will be the hardest. Once they start fitting in, it gets exciting. For the first couple of weeks, he's going to have a couple of riddles to figure out each day -- but he'll get there, and he'll gain confidence from his new-found independence.

Last edited:
The boys REALLY need to do a group chat to figure out who is bringing what. Otherwise you will end up with nine game consoles and no kitchen utensils! You really need to push him on this issue -- boys are not girls.

On the furniture and related stuff, I got a wealth of info from YouTube videos -- specific to the dorm DD is in. Search Google Images and YouTube both by dorm name and you may get lucky. By watching the videos and pausing occasionally, we were able to get a really good idea about what would fit and what would not fit.
You'll be fine, and he'll be fine -- but the first couple of days will be the hardest. Once they start fitting in, it gets exciting. For the first couple of weeks, he's going to have a couple of riddles to figure out each day -- but he's get there, and he'll gain confidence from his new-found independence.

I totally agree about doing the group chat. I've tried to get him to do it so many times, but he doesn't want to be the one to start it! And no one else has started it either. I wish I had a chat going with the other parents, but I'm not the type to do that either. I figure this is me letting go and letting him figure it out for himself. We have purchased basically everything he needs and if there is something else he needs we can buy it there. If there are duplicates we can take our stuff home and return it.

I know we'll be fine and I'm honestly excited for him to take this step into becoming an independent adult. It's time and I'm happy for him! It will just be a big adjustment. He just turned 18 a week ago, so this just seems like it is all happening at once.

I totally agree about doing the group chat. I've tried to get him to do it so many times, but he doesn't want to be the one to start it! And no one else has started it either. I wish I had a chat going with the other parents, but I'm not the type to do that either. I figure this is me letting go and letting him figure it out for himself. We have purchased basically everything he needs and if there is something else he needs we can buy it there. If there are duplicates we can take our stuff home and return it.

I know we'll be fine and I'm honestly excited for him to take this step into becoming an independent adult. It's time and I'm happy for him! It will just be a big adjustment. He just turned 18 a week ago, so this just seems like it is all happening at once.

Perfect! Our oldest 3 were guys. It's easier to buy what you think they'll need, bring it up, and purchase extra stuff you might need there. There is always a last minute 'something ' you need after actually moving into a dorm.

We moved our daughter in 3 weeks ago and the coordinating with a roommate was new and made me glad the other 3 were guys who never needed to coordinate.

Lol. I rolled my eyes a couple of times at what the other family thought were 'must haves' for the dorm and said 'Yeah, we're not getting that.'

My daughter starts her second week of classes tomorrow. She has weekly covid19 testing listed right on her schedule. Most of her classes are fully in person with the expected rules. One class is online one day and in person another day. She is a 3rd year student but it is her last year due to dual enrollment. She is taking a grad class which hasn't started yet. That one is online but I think it normally is online. - I would say based on a parent facebook group for the school the biggest adjustment seems to be food - there are no more buffets, make your own salad bar etc. I lucked out and the 4 girls in the suite talked about who was bringing what but no one cared about coordinating colors etc.

Boys need very little

:laughing: I think DS and his roommates have been to the store (with masks, of course!) three times in the week they've been there, because - did they make a list the first time? . . . NO

Super interesting article about testing wastewater in University dorms

His school is doing that as well. - I agree it's great!

He ended up with two in-person and three hybrid classes. Everything was virtual the first week, to make sure all covid test results were in, but the classrooms open tomorrow, with enhanced sanitizing procedures, marks where you can sit and where furniture is to be placed, etc.

His only complaint so far has been the changes to the dining hall. Reservations are needed to actually eat there. They can pick up take-out anytime, but the options are very limited. Their suite has a full size fridge and a microwave, so I can see them actually learning to make a few things "at home" (and probably spending far too much on pizza as well).

And so it begins...

DD is a senior living in an off campus house with 4 sorority sisters. She went back for job training in August 13th. Classes started on the 24th. Her university tested all on campus kids when they moved in but did not require any testing for off campus kids. On Wednesday DD saw another sorority sister. This girl started feeling bad this weekend (fatigue and shortness of breath) and got tested today because her doctor thinks she has Covid. Another of DD’s housemates saw this same girl in Friday and hugged her. So now DD and her housemate are quarantining and are trying to find a testing site, so they can get tested if this girl’s results are positive. In the meantime, DD’s boyfriend came to visit her this weekend. So if she has it, he’s going to bring it home with him. I’ll keep you all posted.

Argggggg!!!

Just dropped mine off today-she is in off campus housing but they are still required to covid test on day 1,3 and 5 and if you have three neg tests you can come to campus for classes. And even after that they are required to test every 3 days. Right now out of 17,800 tested so far 7 positives and those 7 have been moved to the dorm building they are using only for covid.

Just dropped mine off today-she is in off campus housing but they are still required to covid test on day 1,3 and 5 and if you have three neg tests you can come to campus for classes. And even after that they are required to test every 3 days. Right now out of 17,800 tested so far 7 positives and those 7 have been moved to the dorm building they are using only for covid.
You’re DD is lucky her school is also testing off campus kids. My DD’s school only tested on campus kids at move in - about 1/3 of the total student population. Now that the virus is spreading, off campus kids who’ve been exposed are scrambling to get tested. The student health center is so overwhelmed with calls that they won’t answer the phone. Desperate scared kids are driving 1 to 2 hours to find testing sites. Her school has really failed the off campus kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter