College entrance cheating scandal

Interesting. Still they took those "phony" rowing pictures. Did they think that was normal? If they made the only check out to USC - was it cashed? Who got the money?

Interesting. Still they took those "phony" rowing pictures. Did they think that was normal? If they made the only check out to USC - was it cashed? Who got the money?

They keep insisting they thought taking the pics were normal procedure. Just like how Dr. Dre's daughter got in to college after her father donated $70 million for a whole SCHOOL. She may or may not have been qualified to get in for normal admissions. The colleges look the other way in theses situations. :rolleyes1 Apparently a LOT of the wealthy people who get their kids in this way do stuff to make it appear their kids are qualified for the "records." Lori & Mossimo were one of 1300 of the ringleader's clients. And he had been getting kids into various colleges for YEARS, saying this is how it works. They are insisting that they thought this is also the normal procedure that USC uses for these wealthy donation cases. That this is what USC did to get Dr. Dre's daughter in (IF she really wasn't qualified to get in on her own.)

Who got the money when Dr. Dre donated his $70 million for a whole school, not just a wing? Lori & Mossimo thought it went to the same place/person at USC. Not sure if it was cashed. But, it was clear, according to them, they hadn't written out the check to the coach that Rick Singer bribed. They are saying that was all on HIM and they didn't know he did that till the cops showed up to arrest them. Dr. Dre happened to choose someone else to help him set up his deal. Someone on the up & up. Unfortunately, they chose Rick Singer instead and didn't know what he had been doing was illegal.

Last edited:
The latest on Lori & Mossimo: The prosecution has publicly released the "rowing resume" that was submitted to USC for one of the daughters. The name was blacked out, so no one can determine which one it was. It has a slew of fake resume credits, saying the daughter won various events.

However, at TMZ, Harvey is absolutely livid, LIVID about this. He's saying the prosecution keeps targeting Lori & Mossimo as they won't roll over and just accept a deal for prison. (They have a right to go to trial.) Harvey says that no where in the released documents does the prosecution state or prove that Lori or Mossimo wrote that resume. They did make the phony photos of the girls rowing, as that's what Rick Singer requested. But, Rick Singer could have then been the one to have created the fake document and not Lori & Mossimo. They might not have known about it. He might have already had a template for such a thing as he had thosuand of other clients and used the same techniques. And HE submitted the phony resume.

And IF the prosecution can't prove that Lori or Mossimo wrote the resume and knew about it, Harvey says it actually works against the prosecution and for Lori & Mossimo.

Lori & Mossimo's lawyers also keep saying that the prosecution is hiding some evidence that proves their innocence.

I wouldn't doubt that there was a template for the resume. Both sisters probably used it, and there's probably a similar form used for others as well.

But there comes a point where you suck it up and be honest. You paid an individual to get your children in to a college that they might not otherwise get into. You were ok with falsifying documents, staging photos, and probably coaching your children on what to say during the interview process.

The latest on Lori & Mossimo: The prosecution has publicly released the "rowing resume" that was submitted to USC for one of the daughters. The name was blacked out, so no one can determine which one it was. It has a slew of fake resume credits, saying the daughter won various events.

However, at TMZ, Harvey is absolutely livid, LIVID about this. He's saying the prosecution keeps targeting Lori & Mossimo as they won't roll over and just accept a deal for prison. (They have a right to go to trial.) Harvey says that no where in the released documents does the prosecution state or prove that Lori or Mossimo wrote that resume. They did make the phony photos of the girls rowing, as that's what Rick Singer requested. But, Rick Singer could have then been the one to have created the fake document and not Lori & Mossimo. They might not have known about it. He might have already had a template for such a thing as he had thosuand of other clients and used the same techniques. And HE submitted the phony resume.

And IF the prosecution can't prove that Lori or Mossimo wrote the resume and knew about it, Harvey says it actually works against the prosecution and for Lori & Mossimo.

Lori & Mossimo's lawyers also keep saying that the prosecution is hiding some evidence that proves their innocence.

it seems to me that when i was helping both my kiddos apply to college both with the initial applications and with every subsequent supporting document/verification there was always either a physical or electronic form that had to be signed with each individual submission attesting to the truthfulness and validity of what was being submitted. if that's the case with this situation then i don't feel like the parents should get excused from their actions just b/c they opted not to look at what their 'contractor' submitted b/c someone with authority signed off attesting to this resume. from what i understand, from day one the initial application to usc was built on the premise these kids were rowers so there was invalid and untruthful information being submitted and signed off in the household from the get go.

i see it akin to a fake tax return-even if a crooked cpa fills it out with bogus information, when the taxpayer signs it at the bottom there's language indicating that the information is accurate and truthful so just saying 'well, i didn't fill out the form i signed and i didn't read what i was signing' just doesn't fly.

it seems to me that when i was helping both my kiddos apply to college both with the initial applications and with every subsequent supporting document/verification there was always either a physical or electronic form that had to be signed with each individual submission attesting to the truthfulness and validity of what was being submitted. if that's the case with this situation then i don't feel like the parents should get excused from their actions just b/c they opted not to look at what their 'contractor' submitted b/c someone with authority signed off attesting to this resume. from what i understand, from day one the initial application to usc was built on the premise these kids were rowers so there was invalid and untruthful information being submitted and signed off in the household from the get go.

I agree. The Common App definitely requires an electronically signed and dated statement to the effect that the student confirms all information contained in the application as true and their own. I’m not sure how it works with athletic recruits, but seeing as a resume/record of athletic stats was submitted, it would likely also have a similar statement of truth. FWIW, all the athletes that I know sent highlight videos to colleges, showing footage of them in competition and practices. Not still photos, which IMO, are pretty meaningless.

This whole "we didn't know" thing sounds like a story dreamed up by a lawyer /an attempt to create plausible deniability.

According to TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/21/lori...ssimo-college-bribery-scandal-admissions-usc/

"Now here's something interesting ... given that they've already agreed to a sentence, they could ask the judge for house arrest because of coronavirus issues in prison. Stay tuned. "​

Whether being in prison or at home, either way, this might be the best time to serve a sentence with so many still staying at home, regardless of the reopening. If they are put in facilities with low risk for the Coronavirus, they may be out by the time the U.S. is closer to being relatively in a "new normal" state.

According to TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/21/lori...ssimo-college-bribery-scandal-admissions-usc/

"Now here's something interesting ... given that they've already agreed to a sentence, they could ask the judge for house arrest because of coronavirus issues in prison. Stay tuned. "​

Whether being in prison or at home, either way, this might be the best time to serve a sentence with so many still staying at home, regardless of the reopening. If they are put in facilities with low risk for the Coronavirus, they may be out by the time the U.S. is closer to being relatively in a "new normal" state.

I figure this is why they decided to plead guilty. It’s a smart move for them.
I doubt they’ll serve any time in prison due to the virus.

If the pandemic is a problem they should wait and make her serve her sentence when the pandemic is over.

I agree. They clearly are using the timing with this health crisis to their advantage. House arrest is not any different than what most everyone else is doing now. Hanging out in their luxurious home or lounging out by the pool is hardly punishment.

Smart... sentencing Delayed. So, they likely won’t get the Joke of Home Jail, Due to Covid which is what they had hoped by pleading GUILTY now ....

Judge also does not have to follow recommendations... so we shall see.

Regardless, the two daughters got away with it imho. I just can’t fathom two intelligent young women taking Rowing pictures for???? No reason? Come on, it’s just silly.. they got caught and mommy and daddy are taking the blame , including them.

Loughlin getting two months and Giannulli getting five months. Then supervised release for two years I think.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...giannulli-sentenced-5-months-college-n1237556
He requested serving his time in FCI Lompoc. I didn't see any reporting on where she would like to serve her sentence, but the most likely place would be FCI Dublin (where Felicity Huffman served her time), which I believe is the only minimum security federal prison on the West Coast for women.

They keep insisting they thought taking the pics were normal procedure. Just like how Dr. Dre's daughter got in to college after her father donated $70 million for a whole SCHOOL. She may or may not have been qualified to get in for normal admissions. The colleges look the other way in theses situations. :rolleyes1 Apparently a LOT of the wealthy people who get their kids in this way do stuff to make it appear their kids are qualified for the "records." Lori & Mossimo were one of 1300 of the ringleader's clients. And he had been getting kids into various colleges for YEARS, saying this is how it works. They are insisting that they thought this is also the normal procedure that USC uses for these wealthy donation cases. That this is what USC did to get Dr. Dre's daughter in (IF she really wasn't qualified to get in on her own.)

Who got the money when Dr. Dre donated his $70 million for a whole school, not just a wing? Lori & Mossimo thought it went to the same place/person at USC. Not sure if it was cashed. But, it was clear, according to them, they hadn't written out the check to the coach that Rick Singer bribed. They are saying that was all on HIM and they didn't know he did that till the cops showed up to arrest them. Dr. Dre happened to choose someone else to help him set up his deal. Someone on the up & up. Unfortunately, they chose Rick Singer instead and didn't know what he had been doing was illegal.

You have legacy/donation kids and ones that actually work hard to get into school. The best thing you can do as a hiring manager is to look beyond the school when hiring people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter