CM missing from Wonder 03/22/11??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that everyone should be free to discuss this just as if it were to happen on another cruise ship. I just think it hits us all a little harder because it is "our ship" with someone we all might have met before. Of course everyones thoughts are with the family right now.

It was just a matter of time before a news outlet found out about this.

Heartfelt wishes, prayers for everyone on the Wonder through this difficult time.:hug:

This is posted on the Broward Palm Beach News Times website
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com

Disney Cruise Crew Member Is Missing
By Leslie Minora, Thu., Mar. 24 2011 @ 4:27PM Categories: Cruise Ships
via Disney Cruise Lines
A crew member on the Disney Wonder is missing.
​A crew member on the Disney Wonder went missing Tuesday morning. The ship disembarked from Los Angeles on Sunday and had been on the water for two days when the employee did not show up for work. Cruise officials searched every cabin and paged the missing person on the loud speaker, but didn't turn up any answers.

Travelers aboard the cruise to Mexico posted the news in a Disney online discussion forum, and today Disney Cruise Lines released a statement acknowledging the situation.

Given the circumstances we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation. The Mexican Navy has been conducting searches since Tuesday, and we immediately contacted the FBI and the Bahamian Maritime Authority, which is leading the investigation on this matter. We have also conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship and spoken with the crew member's colleagues to gather as much information as possible.

A press representative said they are not releasing any further details about the missing emloyee out of respect for the family. No other details have been released, but we will update as the situation develops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My family sails the Wonder this Sunday. I have two grand children who now will not be able to leave the clubs on their own. We will pick them up instead.

My heart aches for this young lady and her family. God bless her and lets all hope she turns up safe and sound.

Why is that?

My family sailed on the Carnival Miracle last week and there was a crewmember that went missing on that ship while sailing between Curacao and Aruba. An announcement was made in the cabins at 7am requesting that this person report to the bridge. Later on that morning, the Captain made another announcement that every stateroom would be searched. That afternoon, he provided an update that the crewmember had not been found and the authorities had been notified. We never heard anything more about it for the rest of the cruise. I heard that crewmembers weren't allowed to discuss the situation - not that I thought it was right to ask about it. I googled this when I got home, wondering if there was anything in the news. All I found was a paragraph on a news website in Curacao.

My thinking is that Disney went public when they were sure they had something to say, before that they may have had concerns or issues that may never surface to the public.

I would hope they err on the side of caution, always, If there is a "concern", act immediately.

And perhaps they did!! Why can't we discuss it! This situation brings many security concerns to mind.

I still don't understand why any family would be upset that the news is contacted if a person is missing. Unless people know more than is being reported/posted. If that is the case, I wish that a "no foul play" blanket statement was released. I dont need more details than that. I have no desire to pry into this poor girl's life.

Given the circumstances we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation. The Mexican Navy has been conducting searches since Tuesday, and we immediately contacted the FBI and the Bahamian Maritime Authority, which is leading the investigation on this matter. We have also conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship and spoken with the crew member's colleagues to gather as much information as possible.

I've been reading a lot of the posts about this and I find it amazing that so many people are complaining that Disney basically hasn't called every news agency in the world to announce this.

Think about it, if it was your loved one, would you rather they call the appropriate officials and conduct a search or have a press conference? I'm glad that Disney didn't stop to alert CNN and called the Navy, Coast Guard and FBI instead.

Has there even been any sort of 'official' confirmation that someone actually IS missing? It seems odd to me that DCL would want this kept 'quiet' if, in fact, they are looking for someone. As a PP said, typically when someone is missing, officials use all resources possible to find them. I just wonder what the real story is and if perhaps this is being blown out of proportion. ?? For something to have happened 2 days ago, and no press release makes me wonder. I suppose we need to just keep our ears open to news reports and hope everything is ok.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/03/24/disney.cruise.worker/index.html?iref=NS1

I would hope they err on the side of caution, always, If there is a "concern", act immediately.

I wish that a "no foul play" blanket statement was released. I dont need more details than that. I have no desire to pry into this poor girl's life.

very well said

And perhaps they did!! Why can't we discuss it! This situation brings many security concerns to mind.

You need to RESPECT what the Mods posted here:

Originally Posted by WebmasterKelsie
This needs to stop! I asked nicely earlier but was completely ignored.

I do believe this should remain on the board as it is a concern and is regarding Disney Cruise Line but to continue to debate, make rude comments and personal attacks is not necessary.

Please feel free to post your concerns, prayers and best wishes as well as any facts but keep the bickering and rude comments to yourself.

After this post, any additional comments like this will be deleted.

Originally Posted by WebmasterKelsie
This needs to stop! I asked nicely earlier but was completely ignored.

I do believe this should remain on the board as it is a concern and is regarding Disney Cruise Line but to continue to debate, make rude comments and personal attacks is not necessary.

Please feel free to post your concerns, prayers and best wishes as well as any facts but keep the bickering and rude comments to yourself.

After this post, any additional comments like this will be deleted.
While I totally agree with you that we need to respect what the Mods have said here, WebmasterKelsie asked that we stop bickering & posting rude comments. The request was NOT to stop commenting or expressing concerns about the situation with the missing CM. In fact, it specifically says "Please feel free to post your concerns"

Calm, respectful discussion of the situation on the Wonder would seem to still be allowed here.

Sayhello

I haven't read all the posts, and don't plan on it but as to the media picking it up I am sitting here watch our local ABC news (4:04 p.m. PST) It is/was the second story on the news, just after the Liz Taylor funeral story.

I heard the teaser and searched online.

I hope she is found safe. My thoughts are with her famliy and friends.

Having just skimmed through this thread, I find it rather shocking how violently some members of this community have reacted to posts they do not deem appropriate.

Obviously, if this young woman is not found, it would be a tragedy, and all of our best wishes are with her family during this difficult time. However, it is merely human nature to seek out information about an event with so many unknowns. In addition, it would seem appropriate for those with upcoming trips on the Wonder to be concerned and want assurances for their safety and that of their children while on vacation.

While pure speculation is useless, and respect for those suffering through a difficult situation is a given - I would sincerely question the judgement of those who wish to delete any posts beside good wishes. Forums exist for discussion, and as long as everyone remains respectful, I see no reason to censor or delete parts of the discussion.

Mods, if this is wrong or not what you want feel free to delate.

For all those who think that DCL should have released all information about happened. Let me give you some perspective from a militray wife view.

When there is a report of military deaths. Every wife with a husband deployed watches the door. She knows that 3 people will come to visit her. She dreads that visit. It scares her. The only time she relaxes is when her husband is in her arms again. She avoids all unknown phone numbers and strangers. After the notification is done. All the wives know who lost their loved one. And the one who is was notified, she feels like a leper, a stranger, an outcast.

I imagine every parent/spouse of the CMs on the Wonder are going through the samething. Even if the notification has been done, communication with loved ones may or may not have happen. So families are nervous and scared. And the familiy that lost the loved one, is hurting something fierce. DCL and Disney will never be the same for them.

My heart breaks for them. :sad1:

The proper authories were contacted, that didn't include the media. As far as we know, the CM's family didn't think it necessary to contact CNN or any other news source. Perhaps, their privacy should have been respected. I feel so sorry for her family. Not only are they grieving, but now must contend with media coverage.

Thoughts and prayers to the missing person and their family. Isn't it fair that if this is someone that we leave our kids with on a cruise we find out everything possible to determine if we want to continue to do so? I wouldn't leave my kids with the Royal Caribbean people because they were lazy and appeared burnt out. I always think of the Disney difference and hope that there are established programs in place to deal with the depression that can be caused by being on a ship for such a long period of time.

Mods, if this is wrong or not what you want feel free to delate.

For all those who think that DCL should have released all information about happened. Let me give you some perspective from a militray wife view.

When there is a report of military deaths. Every wife with a husband deployed watches the door. She knows that 3 people will come to visit her. She dreads that visit. It scares her. The only time she relaxes is when her husband is in her arms again. She avoids all unknown phone numbers and strangers. After the notification is done. All the wives know who lost their loved one. And the one who is was notified, she feels like a leper, a stranger, an outcast.

I imagine every parent/spouse of the CMs on the Wonder are going through the samething. Even if the notification has been done, communication with loved ones may or may not have happen. So families are nervous and scared. And the familiy that lost the loved one, is hurting something fierce. DCL and Disney will never be the same for them.

My heart breaks for them. :sad1:

Thank you, from a military wife and mother. My sons been deplored 3 times and you're never the same when the phone rings in the middle of the night. All we can (should do) is keep this family and the disney family in our hearts. The love and magic they bring to us - we now need to share with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter