Club Level Extra Fastpasses vs. VIP tour?

hdnyc

Mouseketeer
If you had to choose and the costs were the same, would you prefer:

A) Club Level Room, 4 days at the parks with the 6 Fastpasses per day (3 regular Fastpasses + 3 club level Fastpasses with the 90-day booking window)

B) Regular Room, 4 days at the parks with the 3 Fastpasses per day, one day with a VIP tour guide

I priced out both options and the costs are about the same for our group. I've done a VIP tour once and it was amazing, but it feels very rushed because you're trying to squeeze so much into the 7 hours. I know I can get everything done that I'd like to do with the 6 Fastpasses per day, but it would take more advance planning to organize 6 Fastpasses per day around dining and other events. I don't care too much about the Club Level lounge - it's a nice perk, but not necessary. A benefit of the VIP Tour is that it might have access to Galaxy's Edge attractions which don't offer Fastpass, but Disney said they haven't decided yet what the tour guides will be able to access there, and by the time of my trip, they may already be offering Fastpasses.

Just curious what other people would choose any why. Thank you!

If you’re interested in SGE I’d go with the tour, but the CL FPs would be nice too since you could spread them out over several days and parks where with the tour it’d be a rush to do more then one park. You could also save some money on food with the CL room. I’d choose a third option of spending the money on more vacation days, you can get a lot done in ten park days.

When is your trip? This may be a given, but the trial CL FP program is just that - a trial - and could go away at Disney’s choosing at any moment, so I cringe just a touch when I see people making resort decisions solely on account of that program just in case something changes.

I would do the VIP tour. I did it once at Disneyland and it was beyond awesome to me. I felt like royalty throughout the day. For me I'm fine with the three fast passes and usually can pick up more throughout the day. We don't like spending a full day in the park so we go do a few non-fast pass rides then our three and lunch and then go to the resort to relax, pool maybe. You could focus the VIP tour on what is really important to you and hard to get stuff. You wouldn't have to rush to do everything that day since you are there for a week and can visit a lot on those other days. I feel like the VIP tour will get some sort of special access to Star Wars, but it's too soon to tell right now.

I echo the third option of extending the trip and using the money you'd spend on CL FPs or a VIP guide on more park days. It will give you the ability to go at a more relaxed pace.

We did a VIP tour on new year's day this year (trip report is in my signature, the second post in it has direct links to that particular day if you don't want to read through the whole thing), and it is a fast paced 7 hour day.

Of the two choices you presented, even with the experience of a VIP tour guide (who we loved, it's just not the way we would choose to tour on a regular day - although we did all four parks in one day, your day might look drastically different), I would choose CL with extra FPs.

BUT...depending on the timing of your trip, if ALL of Galaxy's Edge was open and FPs were still not an available option, THEN I would go the VIP guide route (if they were able to guarantee you time in GE.) VIPs typically get you onto a ride through the FP line though, so if FPs weren't an option, I'd hate for you to spend the money on the guide and then still have to wait standby.

Good luck making your decision, and have a wonderful trip!!

Isn't the VIP tour YOUR tour? As in, it's only a rushed tour if you make it one? Can't it be slow if you want it to be? Or rushed from place to place if that's what you want? Or do they plan it out and you go along?
I personally would do the VIP tour but I don't care for the set up for the CL FP program. They have to do everything with the FP and booking them messes with the 7 day limit imposed on AP holders. I love CL and stay there most trips but utilize none of the Concierge portion of the CL offerings. We never buy the CL FP.
I'd plan a VIP tour that is not rushed

I would do a regular room and I would book a tour for my 3rd day. That way you have got some park time at your own pace behind you and for the parks you visited you might not feel as rushed zipping in and out of them. And for parks you haven’t visited by that day - you can do a FP or two before meeting your guide and a few more after they are done...

For example - Get to park for 9am RD and use FP meet plaid from noon to 7pm, after have some dinner and stay later for fireworks etc and a few more attractions in final park...

Then on 4th park day - you can again have a more leisurely paced day..

I do think that a longer trip with 3FP a day and a bit more planning would be a viable strategy as well if you all have the time off and the hotel/ticket costs are not much more than the upgrades you are looking at..

Just curious what other people would choose any why
I would probably choose the club level w/ extra FP -- I think this might be a more relaxing way to enjoy each of the parks, getting to do a lot and also enjoying the perks of club level. Obviously with the 90d advantage for FP you won't have any issues getting the hot ticket rides.

My FIL offered to pay for a VIP tour for our last trip and I felt that utilizing the VIP tour would take a little bit of the magic away from the trip - you want to make the most of your time on the tour so you will plan to pack in as much as you can -- so figure with the club level FP program you will get 12 extra FP - which probably would equal or be close to the number of ride you could possibly do bouncing from park to park with the VIP tour.

If you’re interested in SGE I’d go with the tour, but the CL FPs would be nice too since you could spread them out over several days and parks where with the tour it’d be a rush to do more then one park. You could also save some money on food with the CL room. I’d choose a third option of spending the money on more vacation days, you can get a lot done in ten park days.

I would love to spend more time there, but we are limited by a few factors - my husband has to go back to work, and we are also leaving our infant with the grandparents and have to get back to pick her up. Was planning a 6-night trip with 4 park days, 1 day at Universal, and 1 rest day. I still can't believe we will have a rest day. . .the last time a trip was long enough for a rest day was 30 years ago when I was 6 years old!!

When is your trip? This may be a given, but the trial CL FP program is just that - a trial - and could go away at Disney’s choosing at any moment, so I cringe just a touch when I see people making resort decisions solely on account of that program just in case something changes.

Yes, that's definitely a good point - I am planning for 2020, so who knows what the situation will be like next year with SWGE and Fastpasses or VIP tours, or Club Level Fastpass programs. I might just book two rooms now since it's so far in advance with full refund and then cancel one of the rooms before the Fastpass deadlines when I have a better idea of what will be happening.

I echo the third option of extending the trip and using the money you'd spend on CL FPs or a VIP guide on more park days. It will give you the ability to go at a more relaxed pace.

We did a VIP tour on new year's day this year (trip report is in my signature, the second post in it has direct links to that particular day if you don't want to read through the whole thing), and it is a fast paced 7 hour day.

Of the two choices you presented, even with the experience of a VIP tour guide (who we loved, it's just not the way we would choose to tour on a regular day - although we did all four parks in one day, your day might look drastically different), I would choose CL with extra FPs.

BUT...depending on the timing of your trip, if ALL of Galaxy's Edge was open and FPs were still not an available option, THEN I would go the VIP guide route (if they were able to guarantee you time in GE.) VIPs typically get you onto a ride through the FP line though, so if FPs weren't an option, I'd hate for you to spend the money on the guide and then still have to wait standby.

Good luck making your decision, and have a wonderful trip!!

This is my thought too. . .we did all 4 parks in one day last time with the guide and it was amazing, but I could get everything done with 6 Fastpasses a day with the early booking window. I can ALMOST get everything done with the 3 Fastpasses, except the Tiers mess it up and then you can't always pick the two things you want to do. I wish I could extend the trip, but we are constrained by husband's work schedule and picking up the infant from the grandparents!! And the Galaxy's Edge status will definitely change things - I'm not a huge SW fan, but my daughter is interested in it. . .I'm a fan of all things Disney, however, so would love to try the new rides and just experience it if I'm there!

Isn't the VIP tour YOUR tour? As in, it's only a rushed tour if you make it one? Can't it be slow if you want it to be? Or rushed from place to place if that's what you want? Or do they plan it out and you go along?
I personally would do the VIP tour but I don't care for the set up for the CL FP program. They have to do everything with the FP and booking them messes with the 7 day limit imposed on AP holders. I love CL and stay there most trips but utilize none of the Concierge portion of the CL offerings. We never buy the CL FP.
I'd plan a VIP tour that is not rushed

The VIP tour is our tour, you're correct. . .but knowing me and my husband, we would have a really tough time making it a leisurely day when it's so expensive for every hour!! You're being charged $100+ per 15 minutes. It's just our personalities. I think we don't mind paying for the tour when you're really getting your money's worth, but it feels ridiculous to sit and have lunch for an hour while you're paying so much for a tour guide. We got SO much done when we did the VIP tour, but we were practically running across the park and eating snacks while walking to try and save time.

I would probably choose the club level w/ extra FP -- I think this might be a more relaxing way to enjoy each of the parks, getting to do a lot and also enjoying the perks of club level. Obviously with the 90d advantage for FP you won't have any issues getting the hot ticket rides.

My FIL offered to pay for a VIP tour for our last trip and I felt that utilizing the VIP tour would take a little bit of the magic away from the trip - you want to make the most of your time on the tour so you will plan to pack in as much as you can -- so figure with the club level FP program you will get 12 extra FP - which probably would equal or be close to the number of ride you could possibly do bouncing from park to park with the VIP tour.

I think you're correct, it does take away some of the magic!! It is definitely nice and a very efficient way to spend your time, but you can't just wander through a gift shop for 10 minutes or sit down and have a nice lunch for an hour. You CAN, I suppose, but it feels so wasteful. Our guide said that some people get a guide for their whole week, 12 hours a day, and do 3 sitdown meals a day. . .so I guess there are people that don't feel rushed during the tours!!! She said that some people have them come to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach with them, even though they can't get them on rides faster there. . .the guides just carry their towels and bags around or grab them snacks. I feel like you could hire someone to carry your towels and get snacks for a lot less than the tour guides cost!!

Did you talk to Disney and they said they hadn't decided what to do about VIP guides and SWGE yet?

Did you talk to Disney and they said they hadn't decided what to do about VIP guides and SWGE yet?
Yes, Signature Services added my email to a list and said they will contact us when they have more info. I think they've gotten a lot of inquiries about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter