(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that I hope someone can answer quickly. If I book a Courtyard view, it says the view is of "Courtyard, Pool, Waterfall or Bay lake". So are there a lot of those rooms that do not have at least some (sideways, I realize) view of Bay Lake? It was my understanding that a CY room was going to give me at least some view of Bay Lake (so my kids could see the water show). Am I wrong about that?? Thanks!
This might not be quickly , but here's an answer. There are courtyard view rooms that face the villas pool. I don't think that those rooms are able to view Bay Lake or the water pageant.

Another question: has anyone used a portable battery charger? If I decide to get memory maker and use my phone,(instead of carrying around a camera) , I realize that between photos and MDE I will drain the life out of my battery very quickly. I am trying to tour with the least amount of weight in my bag as possible. Any suggestions? Sorry for the OT questions, but like a previous poster said, this too is my Disney home. :)

This is what I bought and it's on sale at amazon now for cheap. I'm pretty sure I read about it here on on a WDW blog somewhere. :) I was the only one in a part of 9 with a charger and it got lots of use. Only point to make is the cord that comes with it to charge the charger is not compatible with phone so be sure to bring your phone cord with you to charge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NF5NTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone here ridden 7DMT? KOOK? I have heard it is pretty mild as far as coasters go, but I am wondering if it does one of those sudden stops that coasters do at the bottom of an incline. I probably won't ride it ( because of my back) but I would really love to see the inside. We have FP+s for 2 of our 8 days, so even using those I don't think I would get to do all of the pre-ride activities. The musical one is what I most want to do.

I rode a month ago (wow...already a month :( can't believe it's been that long) and it is definitely a tame coaster but very smooth as the rocking motion takes up a lot of the normal side-to-side bashing that you can get on something like BTMRR. Form what I remembered even the final brake stop was mild so I just watched the POV I took on it and it was smooth. You can watch some of the ride-throughs on YouTube to judge for yourself. I'm very conscience of jarring rides as well since I broke my neck 25 years ago (thankfully not paralyzed from it!) and have ever since had a tendency to easily strain my back. I had no issues with 7DMT other than the seats are quite small to wedge my 6'1" frame into. You'd think at this day and age that they'd make them bigger but I guess since it is a "family" coaster they needed to accommodate smaller children.

My DD is also 28 and she and her BF want us to drink around the World with them too! Normally, I would just order beer, but I think that may be too filling and I couldn't get through more than 1-2 countries. I would happily take suggestions on this topic! Not too filling and not too sweet. :)

Sorry for the OT questions, but like a previous poster said, this too is my Disney home. :)

I'm am usually the responsible adult or as my DS calls me the DSP (Designated Smart Person!) They do this during Wine and Food and the Kiosks usually have 4 ounce beers. The only exception I remember them complain about was Mexico which had 20 oz :scared: (The DSP said only 1 to split and a side of food after!)

There are a TON of choices even when Wine and Food isn't going on. I would recommend taking a small plastic glass and splitting between you all if your trip isn't during Wine and Food. Everyone gets a taste but not too much. Be sure to have some food here and there to "soak" it up too!

The most important rule is Have Fun! :teeth:

Liz

Has anyone used the charging stations to charge your phone? Seems like a nice alternative to lugging around another gadget.

Ironically, it was in a thread about the charging lockers where I learned about the Jackery. The general consensus is that there are too few lockers and too much time without a phone. When you compare the number of phones in MK at one time to the number of lockers, you can see why there would be a problem. Also, as someone pointed out, you can charge your phone in your backpack or under the stroller while you are walking around the park and aren't tied to the locker.

Thanks. How can they call that courtyard?

That is the short-hand. The fine print says "Views of Courtyard, Pool, Waterfall or Bay Lake," the key being the word OR. All of these rooms will have a view of at least one of these features. The outer CY views face the Villas CY and Villas Pool. Though less dramatic, it is still a quite lovely and peaceful courtyard.

To see EWP from the inner courtyard, which is most of the CY rooms, you would need to be in a lobby room (which has a straight on view of the water but is at quite a distance from the lake, these are few in number), or toward the ends of the wings over the lower CY (pool, closer to the lake), preferably the north wing. We were in that section in the south wing, and our view of the EWP was partially obstructed. If you look at a map, the beach is at the end of the north wing, and that is where the boats park to start the show. So really the EWP is not designed to be seen from the rooms.

Your best bet is to watch from the playground and beach area and then head up to bed or stay for the 10:00 fireworks in the distance.

If you are in the CY you will definitely hear the EWP music. The acoustics of the inner courtyard make it hard to ignore, even with the balcony doors closed.

That is the short-hand. The fine print says "Views of Courtyard, Pool, Waterfall or Bay Lake," the key being the word OR. All of these rooms will have a view of at least one of these features. The outer CY views face the Villas CY and Villas Pool. Though less dramatic, it is still a quite lovely and peaceful courtyard.

To see EWP from the inner courtyard, which is most of the CY rooms, you would need to be in a lobby room (which has a straight on view of the water but is at quite a distance from the lake, these are few in number), or toward the ends of the wings over the lower CY (pool, closer to the lake), preferably the north wing. We were in that section in the south wing, and our view of the EWP was partially obstructed. If you look at a map, the beach is at the end of the north wing, and that is where the boats park to start the show. So really the EWP is not designed to be seen from the rooms.

Your best bet is to watch from the playground and beach area and then head up to bed or stay for the 10:00 fireworks in the distance.

If you are in the CY you will definitely hear the EWP music. The acoustics of the inner courtyard make it hard to ignore, even with the balcony doors

Thanks for the info!

If you are in the CY you will definitely hear the EWP music. The acoustics of the inner courtyard make it hard to ignore, even with the balcony doors

Thanks for the info!

Are you sticking with WL?

Absolutely. But we have a standard view booked before the pool refurb starts, so it was an easy choice.

You're welcome. I did ask about Trout Pass and I was told that it was unlikely that it would remain open during the rehab. I didn't ask about the RF chairs. When I was on vacation, I posted that managers told me that if guests can, especially first-time guests, they recommend staying elsewhere during the rehab. The reason I was given is that they want guests to be 100% happy and they want the resort to shine. The WL courtyard area will be a mess for 2 months, which will affect the overall feel of the resort. If you're booked at GF, you might want to stay there instead, unless you can change your WL dates until after Thanksgiving.

Thank you for this thread, KOOK! We are staying VWL on rented points during the pool closure, so no moving for us. Do you think I should ask for some sort of compensation? We are first time guests, and I'm bummed. Don't want to beat the pool horse dead, just not sure if there is anything Disney can do for us in this specific instance? If you have any advice, I'd appreciate it!!!

They sell Swimwear in the Mercantile at WL.
I know they have swimshorts...not a variety, just black with a white mickey silhouette on it. I got a swimshirt (for when we dive) I can take a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like.
I tried to get DH to get a pair, but they have underwear inside and he refuses to wear shorts that have them.

This is the silhouette on the left leg of the shorts.

You can cut the inside mesh part out, I do that for my husband and kids...:thumbsup2

This is what I bought from Amazon for phone charging after seeing it recommended on the DIS and then reading a bunch of reviews on CNET. It is quite the device and can charge both my phone and my wife's phone at the same time, which is very handy. I saw a similar model with only one port at Costco today for $30 more, so the price isn't bad on Amazon, either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AANQLRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I bought and it's on sale at amazon now for cheap. I'm pretty sure I read about it here on on a WDW blog somewhere. :) I was the only one in a part of 9 with a charger and it got lots of use. Only point to make is the cord that comes with it to charge the charger is not compatible with phone so be sure to bring your phone cord with you to charge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NF5NTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I explored these and other choices at amazon and there were some reviews that said they were incompatible with iOS 7 - some people mentioned they were getting error messages. I guess I am going to have to do more research. I really like the lipstick-sized models. I am looking to carry around as little weight in my bag as I can. Thanks for your replies!

I rode a month ago (wow...already a month :( can't believe it's been that long) and it is definitely a tame coaster but very smooth as the rocking motion takes up a lot of the normal side-to-side bashing that you can get on something like BTMRR. Form what I remembered even the final brake stop was mild so I just watched the POV I took on it and it was smooth. You can watch some of the ride-throughs on YouTube to judge for yourself. I'm very conscience of jarring rides as well since I broke my neck 25 years ago (thankfully not paralyzed from it!) and have ever since had a tendency to easily strain my back. I had no issues with 7DMT other than the seats are quite small to wedge my 6'1" frame into. You'd think at this day and age that they'd make them bigger but I guess since it is a "family" coaster they needed to accommodate smaller children.

Thank you! That is encouraging. My DH knows the kind of movements that put my back in jeopardy, so I might just wait out the first FP+, and if the verdict is go ahead, I will do it on the 2nd FP day.

I'm am usually the responsible adult or as my DS calls me the DSP (Designated Smart Person!) They do this during Wine and Food and the Kiosks usually have 4 ounce beers. The only exception I remember them complain about was Mexico which had 20 oz :scared: (The DSP said only 1 to split and a side of food after!)

There are a TON of choices even when Wine and Food isn't going on. I would recommend taking a small plastic glass and splitting between you all if your trip isn't during Wine and Food. Everyone gets a taste but not too much. Be sure to have some food here and there to "soak" it up too!

The most important rule is Have Fun! :teeth:

Liz

Sharing! Great idea. Now I just have to talk someone in my group into doing that. :)
Thanks for your suggestions!

You can cut the inside mesh part out, I do that for my husband and kids...:thumbsup2

He knows that, but the edge around the top where you cut them out bothers him.
He's done the with others before.

He prefers to buy shorts that don't have them to begin with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter