Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

While it is posted and the driver should tell the people to move, it really depends on the driver. Some will ask, some will tell and some won't do anything at all and tell you to wait for the next bus. I once had to wait over 2 hours at Pleasure Island bus stop to All Stars because none of the drivers would ask people to move. Finally they had a driver change and that driver told them he wasn't moving the bus until people moved so he could load me and my PWC. God bless that driver.

How many buses would you say stopped and didn't make a guest move that night. After the second one I would of asked to speak to a manager because two hours is way to long to wait unless their was no room to board you and it made it unsafe but dose not sound that way. It is sad they have some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of the good drivers.

The difficulty in this situation is that some of the people being asked to move might also have invisible disabilities. Now, I have no problem with being asked to move, as I just explain that I need the seat because I have similar problems with my knees, but I do have a problem if people continue to ask me to move or glare at me even after I've explained.

Those seats are supposed to be vacated for people with disabilities who need them, and for the most part I have found that people are reasonable about it once I explain.

The bus drivers can only ask for those who are non-handicapped to give up the designated handicapped seats. You would not have to give up your seat, of course.

While I agree with most of what you said but hoqbiabthe driver supposed to know the guest sitting them selves don't have a hidden disability. And since they can't ask if you have a disability it puts the driver in a hard spot yes they can say to a guest please give up the seat but if the guest say no they need it. The driver can't force them to move.

Please see what I stated above. Nobody said the bus drivers have to conduct an inquisition. They merely have to ask for non-handicapped individuals to give up the designated seats for someone who is handicapped.

The law states the driver must ask for those who are able bodied to offer up their seat to the handicapped. Here is a blurb from the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Accessability page touching on the subject:

11. Category:
Civil Rights & Accessibility
Question:
If a bus is filled to capacity with standing room only, may a driver displace people currently on the bus to create room for a person with a disability?
Answer:
No, if a bus is filled to capacity, a driver is not required to remove other passengers from the bus in order to make room for additional persons with disabilities. However, the driver would still be required to request that persons without disabilities vacate priority seating locations they may be occupying.

How many buses would you say stopped and didn't make a guest move that night. After the second one I would of asked to speak to a manager because two hours is way to long to wait unless their was no room to board you and it made it unsafe but dose not sound that way. It is sas they have some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of the good drivers.

Amen...

The bus drivers can only ask for those who are non-handicapped to give up the designated handicapped seats. You would not have to give up your seat, of course.

Please see what I stated above. Nobody said the bus drivers have to conduct an inquisition. They merely have to ask for non-handicapped individuals to give up the designated seats for someone who is handicapped.

The law states the driver must ask for those who are able bodied to offer up their seat to the handicapped. Here is a blurb from the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Accessability page touching on the subject:

11. Category:
Civil Rights & Accessibility
Question:
If a bus is filled to capacity with standing room only, may a driver displace people currently on the bus to create room for a person with a disability?
Answer:
No, if a bus is filled to capacity, a driver is not required to remove other passengers from the bus in order to make room for additional persons with disabilities. However, the driver would still be required to request that persons without disabilities vacate priority seating locations they may be occupying.

thanks for posting that while i am not saying their no law or the driver don't have to follow it but i am saying is how the driver supposed to know a guest sitting down dose not have a hidden disability that requires them to have a seat. while the stated above says request a guest move dose not mean they can make them move all they have to do is ask.

thanks for posting that while i am not saying their no law or the driver don't have to follow it but i am saying is how the driver supposed to know a guest sitting down dose not have a hidden disability that requires them to have a seat. while the stated above says request a guest move dose not mean they can make them move all they have to do is ask.

You are most welcome. And, yes that is exactly what I was saying. :goodvibes

Unless the folks sitting in the handicapped seats on the buses are handicapped, shouldn't they move if a handicapped (wheelchair or not) person shows up and needs the seat(s)?

I know some disabilities are not visible, but I would assume common courtesy would prevail if the seats were needed and folks were simply using the them since they were empty.

GOOD LORD YES! Actually, even if I were sitting in a NON-handicapped seat I would get up and offer it to a handicapped person, older person or mom with baby without needing to be asked. Sheesh - why is it that so many put themselves first instead of asking what it might be like to walk in another's shoes? Is it so difficult to be nice / courteous? :confused3

I think the challenge is that it's a catch-22 situation for the bus drivers - they are supposed to ensure that a w/c or ECV is provided access to ride, but at the same time they are not allowed to ask about hidden disabilities. So if a guest refuses to move it has to be assumed. But that also means that the section of seats cannot be folded and therefore the ECV or w/c cannot load. Plus, often there may be no other seats available for that person to move into, therefore their hidden disability qualifies them for handicapped seating even though on the surface it isn't apparent.

It's an imperfect system, definitely. I don't know that there is a perfect solution. Obviously, one would hope that any and all able-bodied persons would move so an ECV or w/c could use the space, but unfortunately we can't legislate morality - and some people just don't seem to have any morals.

Just to clarify. There is a difference between wheelchair/ECV seats and seats for those with disabilities. The tie down spots are for those in wheelchairs/ECVs. The spots near the front of the bus are for those with non-wheelchair/ECV disabilities. The signs above each area explain this:

Wheelchair/ECV use:

WDWbussign.jpg

Other disabilities, I'm pretty sure this is a Disney bus sign but not 100% positive:

John+and+Marcus+Bus+window+sign.JPG

Just to clarify. There is a difference between wheelchair/ECV seats and seats for those with disabilities. The tie down spots are for those in wheelchairs/ECVs. The spots near the front of the bus are for those with non-wheelchair/ECV disabilities. The signs above each area explain this:

Wheelchair/ECV use:

WDWbussign.jpg

Other disabilities, I'm pretty sure this is a Disney bus sign but not 100% positive:

So the reality is a disabled person without an ECV has to vacate a seat if someone with an ECV shows up (and the only seat open when they boarded was the one under the "must" sign). And since they have no visible disability no one "offers" them a seat (because they don't see the disability).

The second pic is a Disney bus.

Wheelchair/ECV use:

WDWbussign.jpg

the second it the disney bus and the seats with the tie down have an extra sign saying you must give up your seat to a guest in wheel chair because tie down points located underneath the seat.

So the reality is a disabled person without an ECV has to vacate a seat if someone with an ECV shows up (and the only seat open when they boarded was the one under the "must" sign). And since they have no visible disability no one "offers" them a seat (because they don't see the disability).

The odds of this happening are pretty slim but technically yes that is what should happen.

I'm not going to force someone in your situation out of the seats. But without you explaining your situation it would be hard to realize that you have a need for a seat. All I would know is that I have a need for a seat whose purpose was to allow me to ride the bus. My seating is limited to just those seats that have the tie down spots.

The odds of this happening are pretty slim but technically yes that is what should happen.

I'm not going to force someone in your situation out of the seats. But without you explaining your situation it would be hard to realize that you have a need for a seat. All I would know is that I have a need for a seat whose purpose was to allow me to ride the bus. My seating is limited to just those seats that have the tie down spots.

As someone who spends a lot of time at the parks, I would disagree with your opinion of "slim" as it has happened to our party on more than one occasion. Due to other issues seating is also limited for us.

It it too bad there is not an equal system.

While it is posted and the driver should tell the people to move, it really depends on the driver. Some will ask, some will tell and some won't do anything at all and tell you to wait for the next bus. I once had to wait over 2 hours at Pleasure Island bus stop to All Stars because none of the drivers would ask people to move. Finally they had a driver change and that driver told them he wasn't moving the bus until people moved so he could load me and my PWC. God bless that driver.

How many buses would you say stopped and didn't make a guest move that night. After the second one I would of asked to speak to a manager because two hours is way to long to wait unless their was no room to board you and it made it unsafe but dose not sound that way. It is sas they have some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of the good drivers.

As someone who spends a lot of time at the parks, I would disagree with your opinion of "slim" as it has happened to our party on more than one occasion. Due to other issues seating is also limited for us.

It it too bad there is not an equal system.

your right disney took the seating option that allows them to get more standees so they could get more people on the bus. they should make a couple row of seat facing the front and the tie down points against the wall. but that would mean less standee but more seat for guest. for the nova in public transportation sitting they have row of seat and two row in the fron with tie downs but they load through the front door. Disney got them to put the ramp on the back door so they could keep the tie downs where they are and make row out of the rest of the seats that would add at least two extra rows of seat but take away room for standees and then add strollers folded it would make it so they couldn't take as many guest as they can.

How many buses would you say stopped and didn't make a guest move that night. After the second one I would of asked to speak to a manager because two hours is way to long to wait unless their was no room to board you and it made it unsafe but dose not sound that way. It is sad they have some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of the good drivers.
I did ask to speak to a supervisor but none seemed to be available. There were at least 8 buses pass me up. I was lucky that the relief driver came to the All Stars stop to change with the driver and he saw how upset I was and asked me what was going on.

I did ask to speak to a supervisor but none seemed to be available. There were at least 8 buses pass me up. I was lucky that the relief driver came to the All Stars stop to change with the driver and he saw how upset I was and asked me what was going on.

sorry that happened i hope you had better experiences on disney buses i also hope the relief driver reported the other drivers.

GOOD LORD YES! Actually, even if I were sitting in a NON-handicapped seat I would get up and offer it to a handicapped person, older person or mom with baby without needing to be asked. Sheesh - why is it that so many put themselves first instead of asking what it might be like to walk in another's shoes? Is it so difficult to be nice / courteous? :confused3

I really wish more people thought like you. Common courtesy seems to be a lot less common these days.

We were just at WDW last week. I had to wait in my ECV while two complete buses loaded people who could stand, walk on, etc. We were ignored. (Yes, I DID wait in the regular line, and should have been on the first bus.)

I tried to reach transportation, but they are hidden somewhere without a telephone number. I complained at my resort. They very kindly called transportation, and assured me that transportation would call me. They did not call. We were at Disney for an additional 3 days, still not a single call from transportation. We tried at Guest Services, but again our complaints fell on those who couldn't help us, nor cared to.

I still feel awful about all of this. There is no "Mr. Disney" to go to when things aren't right. I will e-mail Guest Services, but it still feels awful. This trip was one we didn't know if we could make. I had some brain stem, spinal cord, discectomies, & cervical fusion surgery in June. I do not walk unaided.

I feel so purposely ignored. Someone should be there when a person feels bad. They are not. I just have to get over it.

We were just at WDW last week. I had to wait in my ECV while two complete buses loaded people who could stand, walk on, etc. We were ignored. (Yes, I DID wait in the regular line, and should have been on the first bus.)

I tried to reach transportation, but they are hidden somewhere without a telephone number. I complained at my resort. They very kindly called transportation, and assured me that transportation would call me. They did not call. We were at Disney for an additional 3 days, still not a single call from transportation. We tried at Guest Services, but again our complaints fell on those who couldn't help us, nor cared to.

I still feel awful about all of this. There is no "Mr. Disney" to go to when things aren't right. I will e-mail Guest Services, but it still feels awful. This trip was one we didn't know if we could make. I had some brain stem, spinal cord, discectomies, & cervical fusion surgery in June. I do not walk unaided.

I feel so purposely ignored. Someone should be there when a person feels bad. They are not. I just have to get over it.

Now that's just terrible. :hug: There should always be someone to complain to, it just makes you feel better that it's on record, even if nothing concrete comes of it. I'm sorry to hear that they didn't call you back.

Was you in the front if the line next to board and they asked you tonkivethen load the rest. or was you in the front toward the back door and they just ignired you. Complaing to the front desk dose nothing since they son work in transportation your best bet is to ask a driver to call dispatch and have a manager or supervisor come to the stop or use one of the phones at the bus stop and ask to be transferred to a transportation manager. It best to take care of it as close to when it happens because now it turns in to you say it took two buses the drivers could say it didn't and they go you on the first bus. When you write to Disney give tem as many fact and names of cms you talked to. Also if this happens again try and get the dot number and it bus number so it show that two buses was their the dot number is on the passangers side above the back wheel on the new buses the old bus I think their on the back of the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter