City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

When we last left off, Judy, James, and I had just ridden Big Thunder and had decided that a treat was in order.
I've always thought of BTMRR as a treat in and of itself.:confused3

We headed back into Adventureland to find Poppy and Gram and introduce them to the sweet nectar of life known as the Dole Whip
But if you must indulge in another treat... :thumbsup2

Meanwhile, I texted Lauren that we were getting Dole Whips if they wanted to join us.
They beat you there, didn't they?

If they made a "Beverly Float", maybe I'd like that better too.
Ice cream (or in this case, non-dairy ice cream like substitute) makes everything better. :rotfl2:

And at the risk of damaging my credibility with you, this information is just too good not to pass on. So now I give you, the "Not-so-secret-Passageway-between-Adventureland-and-Frontierland".
No matter how many times you go to Disney World, there is always something new to discover. It's still pretty bad that it took you this long to discover this one though. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

What can I say? It just didn't resonate at the time.
Captain Oblivious? Did you hack Glenn's account?

James showed them his cards and they said that one of his was pretty rare, I forget which one, and even she didn't have it yet.
Maybe you should ask James? You've already indicated your kids have a better memory than you with your Flying Fish update. :rolleyes1

I like Gilbert Gottfried as much as the next guy...okay, that's probably not saying much, let me start over.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

It's always neat to think that this attraction is one that really was envisioned by Walt Disney himself.
Only a few minutes shorter... :sad2:

Correct, but Marv is the :bride:

And a fine :bride: he makes. :lmao:

Hey, Your Welcome. The really funny part was that he didn't remember my name. He remembered my husbands and our home town but kept calling me Sheryl. But what is really funny is afterwards we went up to get our picture with him and his picture and he goes "OK, Sheryl, how do you spell your name." And when I said "Chris" he about choked. God it was funny.

That is hysterical. You must "look" like a Sheryl. :rotfl2:

Hey, Your Welcome. The really funny part was that he didn't remember my name. He remembered my husbands and our home town but kept calling me Sheryl. But what is really funny is afterwards we went up to get our picture with him and his picture and he goes "OK, Sheryl, how do you spell your name." And when I said "Chris" he about choked. God it was funny.

Oh my gosh, I don't know that I would've had the heart to correct him. :rotfl2: Does your family call you Sheryl now? You can think of it as an unintentional souvenir!

I wonder if he was thinking of it as Cheryl spelled with "Ch" and got it confused with the "Ch" from Chris?

You know I was going to go with 6 Judys because she could be in one of those crowd shots. :rotfl:

So true, but if she is, you've gotta find her! I should've taken more crowd shots with her hidden in them, but in the moment you've got things to do, ya know?

Excellent PP pictures! Love them!

Cool, thanks!

Ahh - June crowds. I will be facing them soon enough and I get hot just thinking about it.

Smiley08.gif

I love that James is so into the Sorcerers game. :thumbsup2

I think that the Phineas & Ferb game at Epcot is a littler better, due to the neat physical things that happen (smoke appearing from a chimney in Norway, etc. etc.), but he really liked collecting the cards and was into finding the portals.

I saw the tiki birds in October and that should hold me for, say, the rest of my life! :lmao:

Yeah, we hit all the biggees on this trip didn't we? First the Hall of Presidents and now the Tiki birds.

Nothing can go wrong when it involves a Dole Whip. Unless they run out.

Don't even joke about a thing like that!

Location, location, location!

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Well, there's only one way to know for sure.:thumbsup2

I'll attempt it, but go heavy on the ice cream.

Congratulations! That was pretty well camouflaged, so I can see why you missed it.:rolleyes:

I will redeem myself in a later chapter. Dang, I should've put that in the post.

Ahhh...blessed air conditioning.:rotfl2:

And that's not all...don't forget about the singing birds, and the drumming tikis, and the....blessed air conditioning.

I'm glad he was enjoying himself so much.

:thumbsup2

Oh, good! It's still there.

The word on the street is...they won't let David Copperfield anywhere near it. True story.

If you're not sweaty, you're not vacationing right.

That should be a bumper sticker. You've got a gift my friend.

You do have a stalker. It's the only explanation.

And you're speaking from stalkee experience!

I've always thought of BTMRR as a treat in and of itself.:confused3

Can't argue with that.

But if you must indulge in another treat... :thumbsup2

Oh, I must.

They beat you there, didn't they?

No, it was around 2:30 and they got slowed by setup for the 3 o'clock parade, whenever that was going to start. :rolleyes: I decided not to put all of that minutae in the chapter -- and you thought I couldn't self-edit! :laughing:

Ice cream (or in this case, non-dairy ice cream like substitute) makes everything better. :rotfl2:

And sugar, don't forget the sugar.

No matter how many times you go to Disney World, there is always something new to discover. It's still pretty bad that it took you this long to discover this one though. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Where's my "duh" smiley? Oh yeah, here he is:
durr.gif

Maybe you should ask James? You've already indicated your kids have a better memory than you with your Flying Fish update. :rolleyes1

Hmmm, you mean seek outside recollections to assist with the accuracy of the trip report? :scratchin Nah. ;)

And a fine :bride: he makes. :lmao:

I would be honored to give him away. ;) :rotfl:

Throw stones at me now if you will, but NOT a fan of the Dole Whip (and probably wouldn't like it's float either).

You never knew that little walkway was there? I promise not to tell anyone. :lmao::lmao:

Great photopass pictures, Glenn.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the new management. Oh well!

I was cracking up at your description of herding your group...the wanderer in front and the slower ones in back. That kind of touring is exhausting on a person...no wonder you were sweaty :lmao:

Now matter how many times you've been...always something new even not so secret passageways. I too prefer the bio version as it is a multi purpose passage...one which we use religiously.

I've still never had a Dole Whip. Pretty sure it will be too sweet but one day I WILL try it.

Throw stones at me now if you will, but NOT a fan of the Dole Whip (and probably wouldn't like it's float either).

Well, it's been said that you can't please everybody, so you're just proving the rule. ;) I'll refrain from any stone-throwing. :duck: :laughing:

You never knew that little walkway was there? I promise not to tell anyone. :lmao::lmao:

Thanks Kathy. We'll just keep it our little secret. :ssst:

Great photopass pictures, Glenn.

Thank you.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the new management. Oh well!

Before I get to your comment....lookit you, takin' the top of the page! Guess I'll have to wait a while to post another chapter. (As if I was ready to post another chapter.) ;)

Regarding old/new management, yeah like I just said to Kathy (who doesn't like Dole Whips! :faint:), you can't please everybody so what're you going to do? :confused3

I was cracking up at your description of herding your group...the wanderer in front and the slower ones in back. That kind of touring is exhausting on a person...no wonder you were sweaty :lmao:

Yeah, I didn't mention it in the chapter, but did you notice how sweaty I was in the photopass pictures, but Gram and Poppy look fresh as daisies! :daisy: There must be something to that slower pace.

Now matter how many times you've been...always something new even not so secret passageways. I too prefer the bio version as it is a multi purpose passage...one which we use religiously.

It's a great thing that there's always something new to learn or try. Keeps us coming back. :thumbsup2

I've still never had a Dole Whip. Pretty sure it will be too sweet but one day I WILL try it.

You do need a sweet tooth. Fortunately, that's not a problem for me. :teeth:

Ahhhhhhhhhh loha Isle. Dole whips simply rule. I've now become partial to the citrus swirl pineapple float. So good.

Yes!!! the "secret passageway". I think it is pretty hidden from the Adventureland side since very few go behind the magic carpets. It's much more noticeable from the Frontierland side.

Wow, I haven't been in Tiki Room since I was a kid. I really should if for no other reason than it was an honest to goodness Walt creation.

Hi Glenn... :blush:

Hope these past few months have been great for you and your family.

Having trouble keeping up on everyone's reports, but I am starting to dig out!

Anyway, I have caught up on several wonderful chapter.

Loved your fantastic Night Photography pictures. Thanks for sharing the settings. I am just starting to play with my first DSLR camera and I found your comparison photos to be really interesting!

Animal Kingdom Morning 1:

What a great photopass picture of your parents!!!

Very cool closeup of the giraffe. I can't believe the pictures of the elephant squirting water through his/her trunk. I thought that only happened on the Jungle Cruise. That must have been so cool to see for real!

Great job spotting those cheetahs- they can be really hard to see- even more difficult than the lions, I think.

Animal Kingdom 2

ETA- never mind on the comment about the lion!

Super pictures of the safari and the trail. The closeup of the meerkats really makes them look like they have personalities.

We love the seating (and the food) at Tamu Tamu. That is such a great spot, but not many people seem to know it is there, or that you can get a meal there.

AK Afternoon-

Wow, the Nemo show is so visually stunning. Great puppets and such talented operators! I've only seen the show once, because my traveling companions are show-averse, so I appreciate all your pictures.

Bummer about the return of the rain putting a damper on your afternoon. What a riot that Judy took that opportunity to take care of the sun protection!

Lounging Tiger- BEAUTIFUL!!!
Maybe that's one upside to the rain. Usually it is so hot on our visits that all we see are lounging tigers.

Darn it I have to retire so I can spend all day waiting for Glenn's updaters like Marv does !!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:I am with you Glenn on the Dole Whip Floats !!!:goodvibes I have only done the Tikki room twice , but think I will give the new "old" version a try !!!!

After making our way into Tomorrowland, I thought that another good (air-conditioned and seated!) show for Gram and Poppy would be Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. To be honest, I don't remember anything in particular from this visit, since I've seen it a few times before. None of us were selected to be "that guy" or anything good like that. They didn’t even use my joke that I texted while waiting to get in, which was:

What's the best way to wash your hare?

Grasp him firmly by his long ears, dunk him in the bathtub, lather, rinse and repeat.

I thought that it was sufficiently monster-y, but maybe it was a little too long. They like those short, zinger-y punchlines. Or maybe I should've made a Disney tie-in like, "what did the 7 dwarves sing on their way back from their IRS audit?" "I owe, I owe...". They can't resist that stuff.

While we were waiting to get into Monsters Inc., I texted Lauren to tell them where we were and she told me they were in line at the Speedway. And that James wasn't feeling good. The poor guy has stomach troubles sometimes. When we got out, Lauren texted me that James was sitting on the benches near the Speedway. We found him and decided that it was a good time for half of our crew to head for the exits; Gram and Poppy, Judy and James. I'd take one for the team (yet again!), and stay for a little while longer to make sure the girls got back okay. The things I do for my kids.

After Judy and James left, I went over to the fence at the Speedway and saw the girls and my sister-in-law and nephew in line. They were about to board, so it was a great opportunity to get some pictures as they (kind of) sped off.

The scary thing is, this one now has her learner's permit.

IMG_6517.jpg

In this picture, it looks like she's trying to tune the radio, which I would totally believe.

IMG_6518.jpg

Then my nephew gave my sister-in-law an idea of what she's in for when he gets his permit.

IMG_6521.jpg

I think he's asking her to release the parking brake.

IMG_6523.jpg

Then, as they banged up against the middle rail all the way around the track, I walked to the other end to get some pictures of them nearing the finish line.

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

"See if you can find a parking spot in the shade."

IMG_6532.jpg

Finally one of them noticed me taking pictures. I'm not sure if it’s a good thing -- that it demonstrated that my nephew was observant, or a bad thing -- that he took his eyes off the road.

IMG_6534.jpg

Once they cleared the pile-up at the unloading area and exchanged insurance information (just kidding of course, who carries insurance?), I was able to get a picture of the Space Mountain fastpasses that Lauren had acquired for us. And on to Space Mountain, it was!

IMG_6536.jpg

I forgot to make an intentional dumb-looking face, so this is my unintentional dumb-looking face. You’ll be able to see the difference a little further in the chapter. I hope.

IMG_6537.jpg

I love Marlene's great ride-photo face in this one, and Lauren did a great job posing for a frame-worthy portrait.

IMG_6541.jpg

A couple of pictures on the moving walkway out of the ride.

IMG_6542.jpg

I finally got a halfway-decent monitor picture of myself. After how many tries?!

IMG_6545.jpg

Since Judy, James, Gram, and Poppy didn't use their fastpasses, we still had 4 left, and we thought it'd be a shame for them to go to waste. Fortunately, my sister-in-law volunteered to sit this one out, otherwise it might have made for quite a scene of Extreme Rock, Paper, Scissors...using actual rocks, running with scissors, and origami!

This time I remembered to make a dumb face. I think I outdid myself.

IMG_6546.jpg

The guys I rode with thought it was hi-lar-ious, and just about doubled-over when they saw it. But they stumbled away, trying to keep me from seeing them, so I don't think they understood that it was intentional. C'mon guys, my unintentional dumb look, although dumb, is not nearly as good as this one!

By the way, I never realized how pidgeon-toed you have to sit if you're in the front and have long legs. And look what it does to your face!

Anyway, the kids behind me hammed it up as well.

IMG_6547.jpg

Why yes, I would enjoy some hover camping and hyper spelunking. In fact, I'm surprised that it's not already an “Adventures by Disney” offering.

IMG_6548.jpg

More goofing around on the moving walkway past the monitors.

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

Then we had to get going in order to make it to our dinner reservation for the evening. My sister-in-law and nephew decided to stay at the park in order to get their money's worth from a 1-day ticket, so we said goodbye and we'd see them back at the suite later in the evening.

Lauren and Marlene and I stopped for a photopass picture on Main Street.

Photo0077FourBySix.jpg

Then, just before we left the park we ducked into the Town Square Theater. Lauren loves the movie "Tangled" and really wanted to get a picture with Rapunzel. In fact, I had no idea how much she loved it -- she decorated her dorm room with pictures from the movie that she printed from the internet. Anyway, we asked a cast member if Rapunzel was there and we found out that she had left at 4. Oh boy, Lauren was not a happy camper and pretty much fumed her way out to the bus stop. (Ooo, time for a Jim Gaffigan quote: "Has anyone ever really been a happy camper? Because whenever we use that term we're being sarcastic. He is not a happy camper. Why don't we just call him a "camper"? You know who's a happy camper? The guy leaving the campsite. He's the happiest camper...he gets to take a shower!")

Fortunately for us not-so-happy-campers, we had the quickest bus ride from the Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom Lodge ever. We boarded a bus at 6pm with no wait, and were back at Kidani by 6:17. Yay for great bus mojo!

Up Next: Every Glennbo trip report has to have a Boma chapter, it's a law or something
Link to next chapter

IMG_6546.jpg

You certainly did! :rotfl2:

Great update! Everyone looks like they are having a total blast! Love it. I might need to drive one of those cars after all!

Well, the one time I'm actually here early enough to play the Judy game, I'm too stupid to give the 0 Judy's answer before I read... :faint:

After making our way into Tomorrowland, I thought that another good (air-conditioned and seated!) show for Gram and Poppy would be Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.
Hmmm... I thought it would be Stitch.

They didn’t even use my joke that I texted while waiting to get in, which was:

What's the best way to wash your hare?

Grasp him firmly by his long ears, dunk him in the bathtub, lather, rinse and repeat.
They didn't use that bit of comedy gold? Go figure. :rolleyes1

I'd take one for the team (yet again!), and stay for a little while longer to make sure the girls got back okay. The things I do for my kids.
Such a sacrifice. I guess somebody has to do it! :thumbsup2

In this picture, it looks like she's trying to tune the radio, which I would totally believe.
Hey, the radio is the second priorty next to turning on the A/C.:lmao:

Finally one of them noticed me taking pictures. I'm not sure if it’s a good thing -- that it demonstrated that my nephew was observant, or a bad thing -- that he took his eyes off the road.
What's the worst he could do? :confused3:rotfl:

You’ll be able to see the difference a little further in the chapter. I hope.
It is subtle...

Fortunately, my sister-in-law volunteered to sit this one out, otherwise it might have made for quite a scene of Extreme Rock, Paper, Scissors...using actual rocks, running with scissors, and origami!
What's wrong with Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock? :confused3 :lmao:

C'mon guys, my unintentional dumb look, although dumb, is not nearly as good as this one!
Well, they didn't get to see the comparison! :rotfl2::lmao:

Why yes, I would enjoy some hover camping and hyper spelunking. In fact, I'm surprised that it's not already an “Adventures by Disney” offering.
Give 'em about 10 or 15 years. :thumbsup2

Fortunately for us not-so-happy-campers, we had the quickest bus ride from the Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom Lodge ever.
It's a shame that Lauren missed out on Rapunzel, but nice use of a Jim Gaffigan bit to add to the story! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

good update glenn i enjoyed it, and your faces...well...nevermind,

the best thing about this update is marv has no idea you were going to do a middle of the page update.

The things I do for my kids.

uh huh...all the fun things...not the hang with the sick kid tired parent things...:rotfl:

Those are some fun speedway pics! We haven't done it in years, never feel like waiting in the line but it looks like they all had a blast.

I finally got a halfway-decent monitor picture of myself. After how many tries?!

IMG_6545.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

The guys I rode with thought it was hi-lar-ious, and just about doubled-over when they saw it. But they stumbled away, trying to keep me from seeing them, so I don't think they understood that it was intentional. C'mon guys, my unintentional dumb look, although dumb, is not nearly as good as this one!

By the way, I never realized how pidgeon-toed you have to sit if you're in the front and have long legs. And look what it does to your face!

Anyway, the kids behind me hammed it up as well.

IMG_6547.jpg

Well done, well done! Your nephew is totally cracking me up!

Pretty funny that someone though it was "real" :rotfl:

Then, just before we left the park we ducked into the Town Square Theater. Lauren loves the movie "Tangled" and really wanted to get a picture with Rapunzel. In fact, I had no idea how much she loved it -- she decorated her dorm room with pictures from the movie that she printed from the internet. Anyway, we asked a cast member if Rapunzel was there and we found out that she had left at 4. Oh boy, Lauren was not a happy camper and pretty much fumed her way out to the bus stop. (Ooo, time for a Jim Gaffigan quote: "Has anyone ever really been a happy camper? Because whenever we use that term we're being sarcastic. He is not a happy camper. Why don't we just call him a "camper"? You know who's a happy camper? The guy leaving the campsite. He's the happiest camper...he gets to take a shower!")

Up Next: Every Glennbo trip report has to have a Boma chapter, it's a law or something

Awww poor Lauren! Isn't it bizarre when our kids throw us like that, something we assume won't be that big of a deal, in fact is. In a way though it's pretty cool...shows they are still kids if that makes sense.

Besides, Boma makes everything better.

or more specifically, Boma soups make my world better!

Sorry for not replying earlier everyone. I was just trying to be less predictable! :teeth:

Ahhhhhhhhhh loha Isle. Dole whips simply rule. I've now become partial to the citrus swirl pineapple float. So good.

Sounds wonderful. Ahhhhloha.

Yes!!! the "secret passageway". I think it is pretty hidden from the Adventureland side since very few go behind the magic carpets. It's much more noticeable from the Frontierland side.

I seriously had never been in that little nook behind the Magic Carpets before. I think maybe James rode the carpets, like 10 years ago, but Judy went with him and I was off somewhere else with the girls. As for the Frontierland side, well, I’d say it’s pretty well hidden there too. Ahem. ;)

Wow, I haven't been in Tiki Room since I was a kid. I really should if for no other reason than it was an honest to goodness Walt creation.

Yes, you should. And that oughtta hold you over for a good while longer.

I'm with you...I liked it Under new management.:thumbsup2

It must have something to do with not liking Dole Whips. :faint:

Hi Glenn... :blush:

Hope these past few months have been great for you and your family.

Having trouble keeping up on everyone's reports, but I am starting to dig out!

You have nothing to blush about; I’ve had just as much trouble. These past few months have been great, and they’re only going to get greater!

Anyway, I have caught up on several wonderful chapter.

:yay: And how many not-so-hot ones?

Loved your fantastic Night Photography pictures. Thanks for sharing the settings. I am just starting to play with my first DSLR camera and I found your comparison photos to be really interesting!

You’re very welcome. It was a lot of fun to play around with different settings. Enjoy your camera! What kind did you get?

Animal Kingdom Morning 1:

What a great photopass picture of your parents!!!

Aw, thanks.

Very cool closeup of the giraffe. I can't believe the pictures of the elephant squirting water through his/her trunk. I thought that only happened on the Jungle Cruise. That must have been so cool to see for real!

I know, I should’ve done a comparison between the safari and the Jungle Cruise, but I don’t think I have any Jungle Cruise photos. We almost never go on that ride.

Animal Kingdom 2
The closeup of the meerkats really makes them look like they have personalities.

They are so photogenic. I could stay there all day taking pictures of them.

We love the seating (and the food) at Tamu Tamu. That is such a great spot, but not many people seem to know it is there, or that you can get a meal there.

That’s why I love it, no one else seems to know it’s there.

AK Afternoon-

Wow, the Nemo show is so visually stunning. Great puppets and such talented operators! I've only seen the show once, because my traveling companions are show-averse, so I appreciate all your pictures.

Hey, glad you liked ‘em. I went a little picture-crazy the last time and tried to keep it to a reasonable amount this time.

Bummer about the return of the rain putting a damper on your afternoon. What a riot that Judy took that opportunity to take care of the sun protection!

That’s a mom, for ya. :laughing:

Lounging Tiger- BEAUTIFUL!!!
Maybe that's one upside to the rain. Usually it is so hot on our visits that all we see are lounging tigers.

They are beautiful creatures. We were excited to see them moving around some.

Darn it I have to retire so I can spend all day waiting for Glenn's updaters like Marv does !!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Well, he missed the last one! (And so did you. Guess you haven’t retired yet.)

I am with you Glenn on the Dole Whip Floats !!!:goodvibes I have only done the Tikki room twice , but think I will give the new "old" version a try !!!!

The floats are the way to go, definitely.

Yes, it might be time to give the new “old” version a try. :)

Woo hoo! Mary Ellen is on the ball! :cheer2:

Well, the one time I'm actually here early enough to play the Judy game, I'm too stupid to give the 0 Judy's answer before I read... :faint:

:rotfl2:

You can take a cue from the chapter and make your own dumb face.
durr.gif

Updated scores:
Marvin - 17 Judy-sighting wins, 8 Eagle Eye points :magnify:
Pat - 6 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye points :magnify:
Mark - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye points :magnify:
Dee - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point :magnify:
Rosie - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye point :magnify:
Dan - 3 Judy-sighting wins, 3 Eagle Eye points :magnify:
Kelly - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point :magnify:
Mary Ellen - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
MissLiz - 1 Judy-sighting win
sesame_123 - 1 Eagle Eye point :magnify:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter