City Mini GT Double - Custom Boogie Board for big kids

Smittolis

DIS Veteran
As a family of 5 (11,7,5) we experience the usual dilemmas of 'what stroller'... do we stay on a monorail resort to make travel easier, what do we do with the 3rd child who never gets to sit! lol...

I researched and checked out all of the current boogie boards that are available and eventually settled on the the baby jogger boogie board as you can store it connected to the stroller and the stroller still folds up. Couldn't find one anywhere, out of stock everywhere! However, I managed to track one down and had it delivered. The design concept is really cool, multi-positional length of pull for smaller - taller children, you can also alter the pitch of the platform to make it more comfortable. While it was good on paper and in theory, it is wayyyy too flimsy to be of any use. The plastic platform would bend when anything remotely approaching 40+ pounds was put on it, as it would bend the wheels on either side would bow out making it impossible to turn the stroller. So while an ingenious idea, its execution was poor for my needs...

Baby-Jogger-Glider-Board-0-2.jpg

I checked around and there was just nothing that would cater for anything over 50lbs, my 10 year old (at the time) was closer to 85lbs+ so it was just pointless.

As a result I wanted to see if I could come up with my own design that we could use in the parks but without having to be too bulky, too time consuming and something that we would have to constantly take on and off. I looked into making my own from scratch, there are a few youtube video's that show some nice wooden ones, but by the time you have purchased all the materials you are well into $50! I wanted a quality solution that didn't require a big price.

Up step's Harbor Freight!!

63098_zzz_500.jpg

They had a special on a furniture dolly with a 1000lb limit (250lb per wheel / corner x 4)... I think I ended up getting it for $6! The wheels are heavy duty and work great for the applications of moving stuff, however, they are solid plastic with a limited rubber outer coating so 'click clack' when moving, not something I wanted for a week! So i also purchased a couple of 'clear' roller blade type casters with a load rating of 200lb each:

image_21939.jpg

I then set about dismantling the dolly and removing the wheels, it was a simply exercise and required minimal tools... socket set and a screwdriver. The holes that are drilled of the existing wheels almost matched the new base plate, so i used 2 of the existing holes and made 2 new ones. I used the existing bolts and nuts to secure the wheels. I removed one of the end cross members to create a 'U' shape and then removed 2 of the wheels permanently as we will only be using 2. I cut the length of the dolly down by a few inches so that it would clear the handle when my daughter was on it but not so long that would protrude into the seat back when folded up. I then wanted to figure out how to attach it so went really simple, U bolt style clamps from home depot! This would allow me to remove it quickly but also allow some 'slack' so the dolly could be folded up. I went with 'wing nuts' so it would be easy to remove if needed.

Here it is!

13256121_10154342999662008_2038990374493808694_n_zps0qpncabf.jpg

I actually used the reclining straps to help keep it out of the way when not in use which was an added bonus! So we took it and tested it out for a week at Disney World! It worked great! While not always really easy to push 200+lbs of kids around a park, it certainly allowed us to get the kids all corralled together and mooch about the crowds. All in all i think it cost around $14!

13654380_10154342999647008_6370364791623268401_n_zpssfozcaji.jpg

All in all a very cool little fix for our then 10 year old to hitch a ride when she was tired! And just for clarification, the stroller would fold away with this still attached. It would push on the seat back a little but nothing drastic! So no need to take it off, went through TSA as you see above so no issues there either!

Hope this may help people feel inspired to do their own! ;o)

That is awesome!! I have a 50lb eight year old and wanted to get a boogie board, but was worried it wouldn't hold him. I think I'll get my hubby busy on making this. What a great idea! Thank you!

That is awesome!! I have a 50lb eight year old and wanted to get a boogie board, but was worried it wouldn't hold him. I think I'll get my hubby busy on making this. What a great idea! Thank you!

You're welcome, its not that difficult and is very economical! One of the bonuses is that if you have backpacks or a cooler etc.. you can use the boogie board to help transport it around and act as a solid base for it!

I'll do a write up of my 'Ice-evaporative cooler' stroller AC unit next.... ;o)

SMITTOLIS:

Hi! I've read both your posts (re: air conditioning and boogie board) and I think you're a genius!

Sorry to go off topic BUT I wanted to ask for your kind assistance since you're such a brilliant creator!

Scenario:

Want only to bring a cheapo folding umbrella stroller into the park. Not sure of the weight limit but guessing it's in the 35 lbs max (maybe 40 lbs??) range. Any ideas on how to reinforce the "seat" area of the cheapo folding umbrella stroller so that it can help bear more weight? Definitely do not want to bring our larger stroller!

My idea was to buy some straps from the fabric store and sew the edge of the strap to the side of the stroller so it forms a slightly bowed "U" shape under the seat area (ie. under the bum area).

Any ideas/help you can provide is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! :-)

lol thanks for the kind words, send me a picture of the stroller and i will see what i can come up with!

lol thanks for the kind words, send me a picture of the stroller and i will see what i can come up with!

THANKS! Will do but will need to wait for hubby to get home and help send a pic ... no idea how to do this!

By the way ... in case you're already thinking of ideas ... I'm looking for a "cheapo" reinforcement method (hence why I was thinking of using straps under the seat) since our folding umbrella stroller is really "cheap" and in old condition ... I'm too cheap to spend more on reinforcing it than what the actual stroller costs! Ha, ha!

Also, the stroller will be "ditched" (ie. thrown out) most likely once we get home. We're bringing stroller "just in case" our "large" (ie. heavy) 5.5 year old refuses to walk (highly likely) and when he's willing to walk, we plan on using it to carry our backpack.

Thanks again for your help! Will send a pic ASAP. :-):worship:

Thrifty it is! let me know when you have sent a pic and i'll come up with some economic solutions.

Hi Smittolis,

Thanks again for your help! I didn't actually take photos of our umbrella stroller. Hubby just returned from being away for 6 days and he's sick so I thought it would be easier if I found some photos on the internet (instead of having him take photos and "trying" to figure out how to post the pics on Disboards). More efficient this way!

Therefore, please check out the following link.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...957.2273443.2256189.2256203&parentPage=family

There's 4 photos of an umbrella stroller "similar" to the kind that I would like to bring to Disneyland (gives you an idea from different angles).

If you would please click on the "4th" photo (bottom one ... side view) and "hover" your mouse over the seat area you will get a "zoomed in" view of the seat area.

Unfortunately, I don't know the max weight of our umbrella stroller (very old) but I'm guessing it's maybe 35 lbs max (40 lbs if we're lucky).

Since the umbrella stroller is "very basic" I don't think there's much that can be done to "reinforce" the bum area seating to accommodate a heavier child (again I was thinking of sewing a strap under the seat).

Any ideas you might have would be greatly welcome (eg. what to do, materials to use etc.) as you have a knack for coming up with inexpensive hacks and sourcing of materials!

I'm still waffling about whether to just "bite the bullet" and bring our "very bulky" Graco stroller OR try and "make do" with the umbrella stroller. Bring the bulky stroller and I'll likely won't have a cranky kid who refuses to walk. Bring the umbrella stroller and chance that the seat will rip (= cranky kid) BUT plus side = "1" less thing to bring home on the plane! What to do, what to do? :-)

Thanks again for your ideas and time! :-):yay:

By the way ... have you thought about "blogging" your hacks or posting videos of them on YouTube? Again ... your AC & Boogie Board = Brilliant!!:worship:

Hi again! Did you post this on your Facebook as well? I don't see it on there. We actually just ordered the Baby jogger glider board from Amazon. But I'll gladly return it if there's a simple DIY one!!!!!!

For some reason I can't see the pics embedded in the thread above. So I just came across your post, but can't see what it actually looks like

Thanks so much! I'm loving all your hacks!

I think you are crazy - who gets blessed with pushing three kids around? At that age, my kids had a lot more endurance than I did, especially if I was pushing all that weight. Why not just have the two oldest take turns? Or take a break? Doesn't the need for an industrial-sized platform tell you something?

@DisneyOma I would rather have a platform and utilize it as needed so we get to spend more time walking the parks. If the kids were to do a lot of walking, they would be exhausted early and probably get over heated (we live in the north east- when it's 80 here my kids have difficulty. Never mind when it's 90-100 Florida heat!)

That being said, my daughter is also in a leg brace for 14 hours a day. She was born with club feet. Her feet and legs get tired and bother her. So I have no problem using the stroller and glider board as much as she wants.

Maybe you don't "need" and industrial sized platform. It's just nice to have for when you want it. If you don't enjoy the concept, don't build one :)

@Smittolis I already got started on the stroller a/c last night! Just waiting on a trip to Lowes to get the foam! do you have the step-by-step with pictures to your DIY glider board on Facebook? I could totally be over looking it if it's in fact there. Thanks again!

I think you are crazy - who gets blessed with pushing three kids around? At that age, my kids had a lot more endurance than I did, especially if I was pushing all that weight. Why not just have the two oldest take turns? Or take a break? Doesn't the need for an industrial-sized platform tell you something?

Of course it tells me something, it tells me that there is a neglected market for parents (such as my wife and I) with special needs children that require something different than the norm.

Thanks for sharing.

@Nicole Marie I don't have one on Facebook however, I can see about putting one up today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter