CIBC Aerogold VISA

goofy'smum

Earning My Ears
Has anyone booked a rental car on this credit card? If yes did you decline the CDW insurance? I am very nervous about not buying the collision insurance, esspecialy as another board on the DIS has a thread on car windows being broken at HRH in Universal Studio's. We will be spending one night at HRH.
The insurance is expensive........ I called up the insurance company affiliated with the CIBC Visa, and they say we are covered, but I would love to hear your experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Goofy's Mum

It looks like the car insurance on the gold card in a non-issue. We just spoke to our regular car insurers, and for an additional $25/year, we will also be covered for rental cars (in the USA aswell).
What a relief!!!! It never hurts to ask!!!!

Hi Goofy'smum and welcome to the DIS! Now that's what we need - someone who can pose a question and then answer it herself! ;) Just teasing - we love to see more people joining our happy little Canadian board. On our last trip DH put the car on his CIBC Aerogold Visa and declined the insurance with no problem. We rented with National through their Emerald Aisle and were very happy with our "pick of the aisle" SUV, too.

Thanks for the response Cindyann.
An SUV........, my kids would go nuts!!!! And if it was an Aztec, we would have to tie them down!!!
I looking for a site that allows me to sign-up for EA free. I don't have a DC memebership, so don't qualify for their promotion.
The best rate I've found so far is Hertz thru' CAA,

will this apply to underage?
i have a complimentary card from my parent, therefore, if i rent a car with areogold, will i still be charged for the 20$ extra/day?

Check your own vehicle insurer first to see if you can get rental car coverage. The ICBC Roadstar coverage in BC is $15 (if you qualify) and separate rental coverage can be purchased for way less and way better coverage than the rental car companies will sell to you. Don't listen to them at the rental counter if they try to tell you it doesn't cover such-and-such (get it clear from you agent at home). I had Alamo try to tell me their insurance was better when it was most definitely not and cost almost as much for one days as I get for a year.

Goofy's Mum - I seem to remember that we got our Emerald Aisle card through Biztravel.com for free, but unfortunately I'm not positive. At some later point we changed it to a Magic Kingdom Club (now Disney Club) version of the card, since that seemed to offer a better discount. We had previously rented through off-site car companies which required finding a shuttle bus, waiting for it, loading luggage, and then competing with about 100 other impatient travellers to get a car.

Since National is located in the Orlando airport, we just rented 2 luggage carts ($1 American each - don't forget to take a few small bills with you) and walked to the lot. We had made a reservation through National's website, and (at least at that time) if you rented a mid size car or higher you were entitled to choose from the Emerald Aisle (EA), and were guaranteed to get at least the car category that you had booked. We followed the signs to the Emerald Aisle, loaded everything into a red Chevy Blazer (thinking it would be easier to spot in a parking lot), turned the key in the ignition and drove to the check-out. We spent maybe 1 minute with the parking attendant, who recorded the car # and reservation# and we were on our way! It was just so fast and so easy. There were some Chevy Blazers, a Jimmy, a pick-up truck and a PT cruiser to choose from, as well as several mid and full sized cars. I didn't even let the kids see the PT cruiser, because I was worried that our luggage wouldn't fit. I'm afraid that I don't believe in doing laundry while I'm on vacation, and it shows!

The last time we were at WDW we declined the CDW insurance from National , and used our CIBC Aerogold card. Fortunately we did not have any problems, (or accidents). I had also checked with our own auto insurance to make sure we were covered under that policy as well.

Recently I was with a friend renting a car at a Budget Rent a Car in Nova Scotia and asked the desk clerk if there is any problems with using the gold card (such as the Aerogold) for CDW if an accident or damage occurred. She replied that there is normally no problem, but suggested if you did need to file a claim (such as windshield damage) it helps if you call the CIBC Aerogold claims line , and get a claim # prior to returning to the rental company.

Hope this helps! :wave:

I just returned from WDW. Didn't have my Aerogold card at the time I booked my car (through priceline). Checked with my insurance company. Was told I was covered up to $25,000 Canadian. I felt that was ok for the compact car I rented - but I don't think it would cover any more than that. Aerogold coverage should be better. By the way, I got a compact car through Budget for $15/USD day through priceline.

Just a "welcome to the DIS" goofy'smum! :wave:

You may want to check out the
DIS Transportation Board if you haven't done so already for even more information on car rentals and deals. :) I just did a couple quick searches on the DIS and it seems as though people are saying that except for the Disney Club offer, the free card deal isn't currently offered. :( Again, not my first-hand advice, but just what I'm passing on. Good luck on your search for a good deal! :)

Have a great trip! :cool:

We have a CIBC Visa Aerogold card and have always turned down the CDW offered by the car rental company. Never had to collect so can't advise on that process.

Actually, what you really need to worry about is your liability insurance. Make sure you have enough. If you leave it up to the rental company, all you will have is the state minimum which in some cases really is 'minimum'. Check with your insurance company and find out what you're covered for under your own policy. You can generally add to it with minimal cost and have maximum peace of mind.

We have the Royal Bank Gold card and have had no problems with the insurance. These credit cards farm there insurance out to other companies so it would be interesting to find out if both cards are insured through the same company. RB's insurance company was friendly, fast and caring. They looked after everything and we never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter