Christmastime Newbie, Advice Welcome

TrolleyTrouble2713

Mouseketeer
My family is trying to swing a last minute trip to Disney to see the Christmas lights. I've been asking around a handful of discords and subreddits, and I discovered these boards as well.

Some quick background, I haven't been since 2013, my parents haven't been since 2006. We've always done summer trips in the past because that was when I was out of school. This is our fourth trip overall, but the first one since I left Middle School. We have both our flight and hotel (The Buena Vista Palace) covered by points and miles, etc. We're aware that Disney is both a marathon and a sprint and demands a certain fast pace, but we don't want to especially kill ourselves running around this trip, as we have before.

The two options I see are these:

A) December 18-20, one park a day (probably MK, then HS, then AK)

B) December 11-13, one regular ticket plus two mid-day magic tickets and the Christmas Party (probably HS full, then AK midday, then MK midday and party)

I suppose Plan A can also be applied to the 11-13 dates, that would probably be cheaper, too. Both plans are within 200 dollars of each other. I applied the Midday to Plan B instead of just doing two days and the party because I'm not confident we could fit in everything we want to do plus do party activities from 4-midnight. Honestly the idea of spending 12-14 hours in one park seems absurd anyway, but I know things can take a long time to wait for.

I hear awful things about the crowds at MK in both scenarios, but as I've never been in December I'm not sure it would make a difference. I'm not fond of the other compromise (going during the day before the party) either, as we then wouldn't be able to see either fireworks show in the park.

My actual itinerary will come later, but this part needed to be hammered out first. Which one seems more worthwhile? Brave the crowds at the Christmas Party in Plan B, or take advantage of the EMHs at MK in Plan A? Is three hours at Animal Kingdom for four hours in MK a good trade? I appreciate any input.

I can speak with confidence that December 11-13 will be a little bit less crowded than December 18-20.
The words "Disney" and "mid-day" should never be mentioned together. I will take the Early Hours crowd over the mid-day crowd any day. The mid-day crowd is not only larger, it is much much much angrier.

B) December 11-13, one regular ticket plus two mid-day magic tickets and the Christmas Party (probably HS full, then AK midday, then MK midday and party)

I'm a little confused on this one. Are you going to MK midday on the party day? That seems like too much money for too little time.
I would choose the Dec 11-13, but choose Plan A and go to MK on the 11th.
OR get 2-day ticket and a party ticket and not go to a park on the party day. Maybe choose the 13th for the party and use the morning to resort hop to see the decorations or enjoy the pool at your resort or go to Disney Springs.

I'm a little confused on this one. Are you going to MK midday on the party day? That seems like too much money for too little time.
I would choose the Dec 11-13, but choose Plan A and go to MK on the 11th.
OR get 2-day ticket and a party ticket and not go to a park on the party day. Maybe choose the 13th for the party and use the morning to resort hop to see the decorations or enjoy the pool at your resort or go to Disney Springs.

I was thinking that the midday would give us a few extra hours before the party, yeah. I feel like I would run out of time do do things during th eparty itself since from 9:30-11:15 you're pretty much in one spot watching the fireworks and parade (which we would certainly participate in).

If we do the party, that is. I'm leaning more towards than I was at first, but I'm still a bit leery of it. The 11th would be just an ordinary day, but we all haven't been in years.

If you're going to be there in December, might as well attend the Christmas party. It is very festive and the wait for the rides are usually less than 30 minutes.

I agree with PP that midday is not compatible with a short WDW trip. I also don't think three hours in AK is enough to get much done, especially if you haven't been since 2013. Since you don't seem to have EPCOT in your plans, can you not plan for a full day each in MK, AK, and DHS?

I can't speak to the Christmas party. We're attending one for the first time this year.

I also second the previous mention that the 11-13 will probably have slightly more manageable crowds.

I agree with PP that midday is not compatible with a short WDW trip. I also don't think three hours in AK is enough to get much done, especially if you haven't been since 2013.

I think you mistook me there. Since MDM tickets are sold in twos or higher, I'd have to use it on two days, which means if I wanted to do MK at 12 instead of 4, I'd have to do AK at 12 instead of 9. So I'd have 8 hours in AK, just not the morning hours. Animal Kingdom is probably the last one I'm going to schedule, because I doubt I get on Flight of Passage in any scenario. As long as I get on Kali and the Safari, I should be happy.

I disagree with those who say you shouldn't do midday ticket. There's no magical mystique about early morning or rope drop. We gave it up years ago and don't miss it one bit. Maybe PP had a bad experience unique to them, but I absolutely disagree the crowd is "much much much angrier". Not at all.

Disney is not a marathon or sprint if you don't want it to be. Make it the pace you want. Enjoy the things you get to do and don't try to worry about seeing it all. No matter what you do, you won't come vaguely close to doing it all in 3 days, so don't even try. Just plan the things you want, enjoy them and don't worry about what you didn't get to do.

If you are going, I would highly recommend going to Epcot at least once. That park has the most you can do over the holidays with a normal park ticket. All the countries participate in the international festival of the holidays. I enjoy Epcot the most during the holidays for that reason.

I would do the full day tickets. But I am an early riser and love the lower crowds in the morning hours. I would also feel rushed with not having a full day at each park - I think there have been enough changes since you have been to warrant some time. To slow your touring pace you may want to work in a break to go to the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house, a sit down meal each day, etc. We always overdo as well so our new plan is planned breaks - we have a reservation to be at, plan to be at a show at a specific time to sit down, pact that we are going to the pool midday etc. otherwise we get excited and push too hard.

I would skip the party myself with the limited time - but I love the Christmas parade so . . . but if you do the party I would not do a park ticket that day as well. The party goes until the early morning and the crowds drop the further into the party time you go so you will definitely want to sleep late and arrive at 4pm when you are first allowed in.

If you are going, I would highly recommend going to Epcot at least once. That park has the most you can do over the holidays with a normal park ticket. All the countries participate in the international festival of the holidays. I enjoy Epcot the most during the holidays for that reason.

I would do Epcot, but with as short a trip as we are planning, we had to cut one. I didn't want to cut AK because I didn't do the Safari last I was here. And I didn't want to cut HS because Rise will (in theory) be open by then, and I think I will brave the lines for that (also MuppetVision may not survive til my next trip). With so much construction happening (and with no posted opening date for Space 220) it was the easy choice.

I'll definitely have to ask my parents their opinions, because there's a lot of conflicting opinions. I had told them the Christmas Party was $350 more on top of the parks, so maybe touring the hotels and watching Elsa light the castle on Wednesday will be Christmasy enough. My plan was always to watch whichever fireworks I couldn't be in-park for from the Poly, which I've never visited before.

Epcot is a must see for Christmas. Each country in World Showcase has a storyteller explaining their Christmas traditions. Also, there's a Candlelight Processional show in the American Garden theater. It's a 45 minute show including a celebrity narrator retelling the story of the birth of Jesus intermixed with Disney's choir and 3 high school choirs and a 50 piece orchestra. Your parents would love this show. There are three time slots for the show and I would get a dinner and show package; so, you can have reserved seating.

There are a lot more choices of restaurants in Epcot if you are going to eat at a park.

Maybe, consider park hoppers so you can see all parks if you can't give up the any other one. You pay a little more for tickets but you can see more parks.

Animal Kingdom is 5 times larger than Magic Kingdom. Keep that in mind with time and all the walking you must do for that park.

I would do Epcot, but with as short a trip as we are planning, we had to cut one. I didn't want to cut AK because I didn't do the Safari last I was here. And I didn't want to cut HS because Rise will (in theory) be open by then, and I think I will brave the lines for that (also MuppetVision may not survive til my next trip). With so much construction happening (and with no posted opening date for Space 220) it was the easy choice.

I'll definitely have to ask my parents their opinions, because there's a lot of conflicting opinions. I had told them the Christmas Party was $350 more on top of the parks, so maybe touring the hotels and watching Elsa light the castle on Wednesday will be Christmasy enough. My plan was always to watch whichever fireworks I couldn't be in-park for from the Poly, which I've never visited before.
I understand the dilemma, but are you ever planning on going back to Disney for the holidays? If not, then I would highly recommend Epcot. Honestly, during the holidays, Epcot is my favorite park to visit. I don’t know how the fireworks will be, but previously with illuminations the holiday version was the best firework display on property. When I go over the holidays I prefer to focus on things that aren’t year round.

For me, the Mid-day tickets would be absolutely perfect, but I went crazy and bought an annual pass. I visit about every 6 months and my trips are typically only 4 nights. I am a late sleeper and my favorite things at the parks are all the lights and the fireworks so nighttime is way more important to me then the lower crowds in the morning. I generally go in for a late lunch, then plan my Fastpasses for late afternoon or early evening. It is much more relaxing for me since I can’t do the full day thing anymore.

A couple of other thoughts...okay a bunch...

A lot has changed since 2013. Lots of cool things have been added but one BIG thing that is gone now are the Osborne Lights at DHS. However, DHS has added Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam, an Animation projection show and lots of mid century style Christmas decor and another light show on the Hollywood Tower so they still have lots of nighttime stuff.

What time do your flights get in and what time do you fly out? If you get in early enough and/or leave after 6pm you can get the better part of another day.

An option for saving some money would be to buy your tickets from undercovertourist.
They have the midday tickets and regular tickets. The extra savings might make it possible to add the park hopper option which would allow you to combine AK and DHS into one day and pop in and out of Epcot.

I would recommend doing the Christmas Party especially since both of your timeframes two of the nights are part nights, meaning the first night will be extra busy at MK. Not to mention the party is the quintessential Christmas thing to do at Disney.

I might suggest this plan which requires at least 2day hoppers and party tix
Day 1 - Arrival evening dinner and shopping at Disney Springs
Day 2 - AK/DHS day - start at AK and move to DHS for the evening; book your FP for DHS
Day 3 - Epcot day, could start day again at AK or DHS if there were things you missed
Try to book the Candlelight Processional for lunch or mid afternoon and do the CP and fireworks. The Biergarten in Germany has one of the lower prices and is fun and has good food
Day 4 - MK and MVMCP - Relax at your resort if you don’t want to use a ticket or revisit Epcot for lunch at the kiosks or go into MK early but be sure to move to MK and MVMCP by 4 pm; have your FP booked for the 4-6:30 timeframe at MK. You could take the resort monorail from the parking TTC to the Grand Floridian to see their decorations on the way to MK
Day 5 - Departure day; spend time touring the deluxe resorts to see the gingerbread houses and the decorations especially the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom and have lunch at one of them before heading to the airport.

I hope you have a blast!

Epcot is a must see for Christmas. Each country in World Showcase has a storyteller explaining their Christmas traditions. Also, there's a Candlelight Processional show in the American Garden theater. It's a 45 minute show including a celebrity narrator retelling the story of the birth of Jesus intermixed with Disney's choir and 3 high school choirs and a 50 piece orchestra. Your parents would love this show. There are three time slots for the show and I would get a dinner and show package; so, you can have reserved seating.

There are a lot more choices of restaurants in Epcot if you are going to eat at a park.

Maybe, consider park hoppers so you can see all parks if you can't give up the any other one. You pay a little more for tickets but you can see more parks.

Animal Kingdom is 5 times larger than Magic Kingdom. Keep that in mind with time and all the walking you must do for that park.

This kind of ruined my night, lol. It definitely shoots down using a midday ticket on my MVMCP day because there's no way I'd be able to do AK in half a day. And now I have to consider skipping AK entirely if we wanted to do Epcot.

I spent last night trying to price a fourth day into the mix, but we're talking now 1400 instead of 1100 dollars. I'm an absolute mess.

This kind of ruined my night, lol. It definitely shoots down using a midday ticket on my MVMCP day because there's no way I'd be able to do AK in half a day. And now I have to consider skipping AK entirely if we wanted to do Epcot.

I spent last night trying to price a fourth day into the mix, but we're talking now 1400 instead of 1100 dollars. I'm an absolute mess.

You can't do any of the parks fully in a half day. AK is a big park, don't know if it's exactly 4 times the size of MK. I suppose it may be, because of the safari area, etc...but from a walking perspective I don't think it's a ton more than any other park. Half a day would allow you to get a good taste of AK, especially if you went in from noon to close.

Stop overthinking it. You can twist and turn yourself to death. Pick what you'd like, don't worry about things you may not get to, and just enjoy. There's no wrong answer.

My wife I went with a friend a couple years ago and did MK from like 8am to midnight. Now that was with a party. So regular day then stayed for the party.

We got there early and went left at the hub. People naturally just got right I guess but there’s more to do if you go left and I think people get spread out more. We started at the back of the park and did basically every ride in the whole park by 2. Not every single one but all the big ones. The after that we literally were just waited for the party to start at around 2pm. Just got some food, hung out in the hub and enjoyed the atmosphere.

So that’s my suggestion for at least a party at MK. I know not everyone wants to be in the park for that long but you could always leave and go back to your hotel for a nap. I know it’ll feel like your paying more since you’re buying a full ticket instead of the mid day but it’s worth it to get there early. Rope drop gives you soo much time to do so much before lines get long.

Definitely utilize fast passes too. And don’t forget after you use the first 3 you can pick new ones 1 at a time. That was part of our strategy too.

Spending an extra day would really help your situation. I would find a way to get $300 for the fourth day. Maybe, extra overtime at work. Don't go out to restaurants and save some money there. If you have a birthday coming ask for Disney gift cards. Do what you got to do to get to Epcot.

Agree with pp, EPCOT is a must do during the holidays. Last December I totally enjoyed the Storytellers, and saw Voices of Liberty do their Christmas set a couple times, plus did Candlelight processional. It was wonderful.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter