CHRISTMAS VACATION (The Trip, Not the Movie): 12/19 - We're back, TR link on p. 25

Isn't it funny how you can be completely unobservant as a kid? I often wonder how I even made it to adulthood. :sad2: You're going to love it!! I could just sit and gawk at the Osborne lights the entire time. Although, word of advice...close your mouth when looking up at the fake snow. Mine was open (don't ask) and I got a mouthful of fake snow. :scared:

That is great how it just sort of fell into place! :thumbsup2 It's even better when you're able to stay deluxe at a value price. I was pricing it out on the official Disney site, and for five nights at VWL it would've cost over $1800 in August. That is just obscene...and I'm way too poor for that.

Btw, I have a few of those Vinylmation ones if you'd want to trade with me. I know I have the Kermit and I'm not sure what the other ones are. I can go home and check though, if you're interested. I was just planning on trading them at the parks.

HA! Guys just don't understand the concept of flats or their appeal. I feel the same way, I don't want to look TOO crazy, but I want to be comfy and have a good time...even if it is in my grandma shoes! :laughing: Btw, the Malindi's are super comfy! I have them in black and I love them. I wore them to the parks last October and they were perfect!

Oh man, I can't imagine how hard that must've been right before your wedding. I got married three years after my Dad had passed and I was still blubbering like a fool when I walked down the aisle. I think the loss of a parent is something that you never quite get over. You just learn to cope in better ways.

Sorry, I did it...again! Promise not to do it three times. :rotfl:

So, in an effort not to write a novel for every single entry---I am going to leave the lengthy entries for stuff I would consider important (i.e. Food, Tours, Itinerary, Food, etc.)

All of the other crap I find popping into my head everyday, I am going to make a "random thoughts" posting for.

Here's the first one:

I have decided that I'm mad at Disney. :mad: ;) If they kept the ADR booking window at 180 days, I would be a mere 46 days from booking my dining reservations instead of a whopping 136!!!

WHAT am I supposed to do over the next 136 days to keep myself occupied?? Oh boy...:rolleyes1

Oh I hear you on this and I feel your pain. I figured I had at least 1 countdown that was under 100 days and then I got hit with this news yesterday as well, now can't make ADR's until October 10th. They just keep dangling that carrot infront of my face then pulling it away.

OK so for you the 136 days can be spent in many ways, I plan to twiddle my thumbs and sigh a lot.

Btw, I have a few of those Vinylmation ones if you'd want to trade with me. I know I have the Kermit and I'm not sure what the other ones are. I can go home and check though, if you're interested. I was just planning on trading them at the parks.

Oh man, I can't imagine how hard that must've been right before your wedding. I got married three years after my Dad had passed and I was still blubbering like a fool when I walked down the aisle. I think the loss of a parent is something that you never quite get over. You just learn to cope in better ways.

Sorry, I did it...again! Promise not to do it three times. :rotfl:

I am only missing the Upside Down Mickey---haven't found one worth bidding on yet on E-bay. If you happen to have that one, let me know and then I'll buy you a pin of your choosing since I don't really have any "traders" yet.

Yeah the wedding was rough, we had considered calling it off but with that much money invested---it didn't really seem like we should. I'm glad we didn't, I know my Dad would have been disappointed if we did and it turned out really well. The only part that really choked me up was my Father Daughter dance, we just played the song and all sat around (a moment of silence type of thing) but needless to say, it wasn't silent at all. Sobs, sniffles and messed up make-up!!

OK so for you the 136 days can be spent in many ways, I plan to twiddle my thumbs and sigh a lot.

Twiddling my thumbs would at least only annoy me---what I plan to do to pass the time (which is talk non-stop at every given opportunity about the trip and every single detail) will annoy everyone around me, and that's a problem!! :)

Okay so if you have read any of my PTR, you know that I had thought up some surprises for my DM for our trip in December. One of those was the Cirque du Soleil while in WDW.

I keep on going back and forth in my head about whether I should give her the voucher I designed for her birthday (May 24) or whether I should try to hold out as originally planned and not tell her that we are going to see the show until we arrive. There is always the possibility that if I don't give it to her for her birthday, I will end up spoiling the surprise before the trip comes in December in a completely stupid way (i.e. I get sick of waiting and just tell her, I let it slip in conversation, etc.)

So I need opinions---what do you think I should do:

A. Tell her
B. Keep it secret

Please let me know---DH is no help when it comes to this kind of stuff :)

Trust me, I know how hard it is to keep a secret when you are absolutely bursting to tell them! BUT...I think you should definitely try to keep it a secret. It's so much more exciting to surprise someone!

Well, after going out shopping tonight---I came with another something that will come in handy on our trip.

I had previously purchased the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home for our trip to Washington DC in early April. After carrying it around for one day while we walked through the city, I decided it was just TOO BIG for everyday use. I felt obligated to load it up, I didn't want all of that extra space just sitting there empty!! Plus, I had ordered it in black and while this is fine---it'll match everything after all---it was just a littttle boring. Now, the 6 MDH will be reserved for storing my gear when we travel and also keeping all of my stuff in while we are home.

So today, I went out to the local camera store to spend a gift card I had received and picked up the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home in pretty purple and orange like I had originally wanted. I haven't loaded the stuff I plan to bring to WDW with me into it yet (D90 with attached lens and two additional lenses, as well as a bunch of doo-dads), but it looks like it'll be the perfect size. I think I'm in love :love:

Here it is:

410t32WQRvL._SS400_.jpg

For now, my the shopping beast within has been satisfied, but I have a feeling that this weekend will be spent at Bed, Bath & Beyond getting a travel kit for liquids that I saw mentioned in another TR :thumbsup2

Great report! That is a fantastic bag, I have one myself in red :thumbsup2

I'm a little iffy on it right now---I got it home and literally, everything I have that is photography related (D90, 18-200, nifty fifty, macro lens, Sigma 30, SB-600, lens pens, memory cards, rocket blaster, charger, etc.) ALL fits in my 6MDH. I went to test out the 5MDH and while I like the height of it better---I'm thinking I'd like it a little wider?

I put the D90 w/ attached 18-200 lens in the center and then tried to put the Sigma 30 and Nikon 60 macro on either side, and they don't all fit (or if they do---it's a VERY snug fit). When we go to WDW, I'll be renting a wide angle lens and I can only imagine that'll be bigger than the macrco---so I'm starting to question whether I'll be able to fit all of it in my bag.

We'll see. For now, I have it and I love the color. I have 7 days to decide whether or not it's a keeper and knowing me, it will be. :thumbsup2

No, I don't have that one unfortunately. Bummer! Glad to hear you found all but one of them, though. Very cool! :thumbsup2

I vote for giving your Mom the voucher you designed for her birthday. That way, you're still surprising her in a fun way but you don't have to wait and risk spoiling it.

I'm a little iffy on it right now---I got it home and literally, everything I have that is photography related (D90, 18-200, nifty fifty, macro lens, Sigma 30, SB-600, lens pens, memory cards, rocket blaster, charger, etc.) ALL fits in my 6MDH. I went to test out the 5MDH and while I like the height of it better---I'm thinking I'd like it a little wider?

I put the D90 w/ attached 18-200 lens in the center and then tried to put the Sigma 30 and Nikon 60 macro on either side, and they don't all fit (or if they do---it's a VERY snug fit). When we go to WDW, I'll be renting a wide angle lens and I can only imagine that'll be bigger than the macrco---so I'm starting to question whether I'll be able to fit all of it in my bag.

We'll see. For now, I have it and I love the color. I have 7 days to decide whether or not it's a keeper and knowing me, it will be. :thumbsup2

It's funny, I've actually been thinking of a 6MDH; the 5 used to fit everything fine, but I upgraded to a Canon 50D, 24-105L, and just that with my nifty fifty and blower/cards/cloths is very, um, "tight". I'll probably be picking up a wide angle and/or a telephoto as well, so I know there's no way it'll all fit.

How does the 6MDH compare to the 5MDH in surface area? I'm just concerned about having this enormous bag slung over my shoulder.

How does the 6MDH compare to the 5MDH in surface area? I'm just concerned about having this enormous bag slung over my shoulder.

It's definitely bigger, like I said, I can fit every last bit of stuff that I own in it when I'm storing it at home. I'd say it's probably about 2-3 inches deeper (from front to back of the bag), maybe 2 inches wider and another two inches or so taller??

When I was wearing it around in DC, I didn't feel like it was so huge and cumbersome that it made me uncomfortable in crowded situations---but it is definitely a step up from the 5MDH.

For WDW or any other trip that requires a bit of traveling, I will probably store everything in my 6MDH for the plane ride, etc. (my guess is that it's still plenty small enough to fit under the seat in front of you as a carry-on) and then pack the 5MDH for everyday use around the parks, etc.

Like I said, when it's not fully loaded, it's definitely not horrible in terms of the weight, but I felt like I had to keep it loaded because when it wasn't, there was just so much extra room. Why carry a bag that big if you just plan to leave 2 lenses in your hotel room---right??

Ok, I say wait for the Birthday, you'll be glad you did. I love that bag, it looks like it could do the job.
I want that same travel kit from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I work there and every time I walk by it I have to pick it up and check it out and figure in my mind what I will put in each container. I love containers and doo dads!

This isn't Disney related---I have been coming up with stuff recently to keep myself busy and my mind off of the countdown clock in my signature. Today, I did the photography for a co-worker's daughter's bridal shower. It was a challenge, very dark room, vaulted ceilings, a whole wall of windows that caused everything against them to be in silhouette, etc.

Here are a few of the shots I processed when I got home today. I probably took about 750 in 7 hours, which is probably a lot but I wanted to overshoot to up my odds of better pictures because of the challenging location.

526795001_vqNZV-M.jpg

526795178_PbDdi-M.jpg

526802930_nke44-M.jpg

526802317_DFoUH-M.jpg

526803908_fTBrH-M.jpg

526804091_GcJvp-M.jpg

So today I got my Reef Flip Flops in the mail. I tried one on while I am at work and they feel like they're going to be super comfy.

They are rubber and feel squishy when you step on them, unlike the hard foam ones. This could work out really well or really badly. Either A. the squishiness keeps my feet feeling like I'm walking on clouds, or B. the squishiness wears thin so quickly that I feel like I'm walking bare-foot. With my luck, it will be option B, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The color is exactly like the picture that I posted earlier looks. HOT HOT HOT pink and another pair of black. I have off of work on Thursday and am going to try them out. If all goes well, I think I may order another 2-pack from Zappos while they've got them---at only $12(ish) per pair, why not??

Hopefully I'll have updates about more interesting stuff soon---like how my DM liked her Mother's Day gift (KTTK tour voucher) etc.

For now though, thanks for reading!! :goodvibes

This isn't Disney related---I have been coming up with stuff recently to keep myself busy and my mind off of the countdown clock in my signature. Today, I did the photography for a co-worker's daughter's bridal shower. It was a challenge, very dark room, vaulted ceilings, a whole wall of windows that caused everything against them to be in silhouette, etc.

Here are a few of the shots I processed when I got home today. I probably took about 750 in 7 hours, which is probably a lot but I wanted to overshoot to up my odds of better pictures because of the challenging location.

526795001_vqNZV-M.jpg

526795178_PbDdi-M.jpg

526802930_nke44-M.jpg

526802317_DFoUH-M.jpg

526803908_fTBrH-M.jpg

526804091_GcJvp-M.jpg

Great processing! I love the modern/metallic punch you add to them. Do you use lightroom or PS, and what methods? I'm trying to expand my processing techniques so I figured I'd ask :).

Great processing! I love the modern/metallic punch you add to them. Do you use lightroom or PS, and what methods? I'm trying to expand my processing techniques so I figured I'd ask :).

Thanks! I use Photoshop Elements 6, I'm looking into getting Lightroom because I figured it might be better for processing my RAW files---but probably won't make that jump for quite a while since I'm reasonably satisfied with my software right now.

I downloaded some free actions a while back and just started using them. The one I have been using on the people pictures is called Creamy Toffee Latte--it warms up the skin and also gives the people less harsh lines, sort of like a blur effect.

Some other actions that I use are "Color Pop" which sort of makes the colors more vivid "Decaf Pop" that makes the blacks in the photo darker and the colors lighter---I guess providing more contrast.

Basically, for more pictures my rule of thumb recently has been to up the contrast (most times to almost 100%) and just do some general edits like a little color saturation, etc.

For now, I like the way the photos are looking---but there are times when I feel like I wish a certain photo had a less processed look and I'll go back and do something different with it. Here is an example of one of those situations:

With "Color Pop" applied:
506934812_B5jMD-M.jpg

Without "Color Pop" applied, but with some other small tweaks:
506934850_gCNoM-M.jpg

Thanks! I use Photoshop Elements 6, I'm looking into getting Lightroom because I figured it might be better for processing my RAW files---but probably won't make that jump for quite a while since I'm reasonably satisfied with my software right now.

LOL... very entertaining thread, Anne. In addition to having a great photographic eye, you're a good writer as well.

If you decide to go with Lightroom 2 or CS4, try to hook up directly with Adobe and get a student discount (almost any creative school credential will work, so if you know a student somewhere :rolleyes1). I was able to pick up both CS4 Extended and Lightroom 2 for $300 ($199 for CS4 and $99 for LR2).

I love lightroom; it makes editing photos en masse very quick. Might branch out to photoshop though just for kicks :).

Todd_H, you're everywhere recently! I seem to see you in all the threads I post in :lmao:

I love lightroom; it makes editing photos en masse very quick. Might branch out to photoshop though just for kicks :).

Todd_H, you're everywhere recently! I seem to see you in all the threads I post in :lmao:

LOL... I guess I have too much time on my hands :rotfl2:! Actually, we have a family trip coming up in September so as it gets closer, I'll probably spend more and more time on the DIS. There's so much info on this website and I've met a lot of really great people on here that make it a fun community to be a part of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter