• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas 2022.

Bamaclan4

Mouseketeer
Just wondering with prices skyrocketing on everything from food to travel how is this going to effect your Christmas? Will you cut out or cut down on gifts, events, travel, etc…? Or have you already started shopping and made travel plans?

Yes, I've started shopping, and we don't normally travel for Christmas, but this year we are--to a resort. We normally visit it in the summer, but we had major summer travel plans that conflicted, so we moved it to Christmas.

We'll open presents after we get back. We'll drive to the resort, so I'll likely bring stockings with stuffers there. I may or may not have less under the tree due to the travel--my thought is, have less, but I have a nasty habit of going overboard for Christmas, so I likely will again.

Yes, I've started shopping, and we don't normally travel for Christmas, but this year we are--to a resort. We normally visit it in the summer, but we had major summer travel plans that conflicted, so we moved it to Christmas.

We'll open presents after we get back. We'll drive to the resort, so I'll likely bring stockings with stuffers there. I may or may not have less under the tree due to the travel--my thought is, have less, but I have a nasty habit of going overboard for Christmas, so I likely will again.
Those plans sound exciting! We don’t usually go away for Christmas either. We did go to WDW a few years ago for the holidays and loved it, however, we do enjoy being home on Christmas. I also have that nasty habit of going overboard!

We do small gifts and always take a big vacation and the kids help pick out where we are going as a small portion of their gift or a larger portion depending on where we are going and for how long. It allows us not to accumulate so much stuff and enjoy more experiences. This year we will be in Disney and are doing a Keys to the Kingdom Tour and Segway Tour.

Gifts will be gift cards to favorite clothing places, gift cards for vacation destinations along with books, records, PS5 games and the like. We have 3 teenagers.

every year I resolve to streamline Christmas, and every year DH starts pulling things out that I had no idea he had bought and then goes out and gets more "stuff" to make it even between the kids.....

This year is the year I am committed to sticking to the plan we make, our oldest is 22 and graduated, but lives at home, which she is welcomed to, and the boys are 15 & 16.
We give them a dollar amount budget to get a gift for mom/dad/brother/sister
and then they can ask for up to a certain amount on their wish list for the main big gift
and then DH & I always also give them each the same amount of cash for the spending, every single year each of them saves up for something they are wanting and put it toward that.

We do small gifts and always take a big vacation and the kids help pick out where we are going as a small portion of their gift or a larger portion depending on where we are going and for how long. It allows us not to accumulate so much stuff and enjoy more experiences. This year we will be in Disney and are doing a Keys to the Kingdom Tour and Segway Tour.

Gifts will be gift cards to favorite clothing places, gift cards for vacation destinations along with books, records, PS5 games and the like. We have 3 teenagers.
That sounds awesome!

every year I resolve to streamline Christmas, and every year DH starts pulling things out that I had no idea he had bought and then goes out and gets more "stuff" to make it even between the kids.....

This year is the year I am committed to sticking to the plan we make, our oldest is 22 and graduated, but lives at home, which she is welcomed to, and the boys are 15 & 16.
We give them a dollar amount budget to get a gift for mom/dad/brother/sister
and then they can ask for up to a certain amount on their wish list for the main big gift
and then DH & I always also give them each the same amount of cash for the spending, every single year each of them saves up for something they are wanting and put it toward that.
This sounds like us. Our kids are on their own and I like to get big ticket items that they can and will use and enjoy. We do draw names with extended family and stockings for our family.

we don't travel for the holidays, our menu is pretty standard year to year and i've been snagging the non perishable aspects (and some perishables that are frozen) for the last few months due to rising costs and lack of availability as it gets closer to both thanksgiving and christmas. as for gifts-it's just the 4 of us and one extended family member but i set a budget every november for the following year so money is set aside each month in anticipation of the holidays (and so if i see a good deal way ahead of time i can snag it).

gifts won't change much this year-books, video games and such with oldest who lives on their own also getting some 'this is good for' homemade gift cards (good for a car servicing, good for a haircut...). they may see a smaller pile under the tree but they know costs are going up.

we don't travel for the holidays, our menu is pretty standard year to year and i've been snagging the non perishable aspects (and some perishables that are frozen) for the last few months due to rising costs and lack of availability as it gets closer to both thanksgiving and christmas. as for gifts-it's just the 4 of us and one extended family member but i set a budget every november for the following year so money is set aside each month in anticipation of the holidays (and so if i see a good deal way ahead of time i can snag it).

gifts won't change much this year-books, video games and such with oldest who lives on their own also getting some 'this is good for' homemade gift cards (good for a car servicing, good for a haircut...). they may see a smaller pile under the tree but they know costs are going up.

I bought our frozen turkey breast back in May or June because they were randomly on sale and a good price. There's just 2 of us so all I still need is potatoes, rolls and a can of corn if I haven't gotten one yet.

Our family is finally moving to a name drawing system for adult siblings and spouses. I've been pushing for this for years (and really don't think we all need to exchange at all and would rather just focus on the kiddos (& I don't even have any of the kiddos), but am not trying to be the scrooge about it!) so I'm thrilled. I have a 27 person Christmas list :scared: and this will cut down ~5 names. They are hard to shop for and we all exchange random junk from target that gets returned anyway. I pitched a cookie exchange for the grown ups several years ago but it never caught on.

My 16 year old daughter doesn't want anything, like ever. She's happy enough to get something under the tree, but if she got socks, she'd be perfectly content.

We'll be going to London next July, so that's the Christmas gift for the family.

I try to pick up things as well throughout the year. This year I have definitely started looking in my pantry and freezer and planning meals for the holidays. Food prices don’t appear to level off anytime soon.

My 16 year old daughter doesn't want anything, like ever. She's happy enough to get something under the tree, but if she got socks, she'd be perfectly content.

We'll be going to London next July, so that's the Christmas gift for the family.
Wow awesome Trip!

Our family is finally moving to a name drawing system for adult siblings and spouses. I've been pushing for this for years (and really don't think we all need to exchange at all and would rather just focus on the kiddos (& I don't even have any of the kiddos), but am not trying to be the scrooge about it!) so I'm thrilled. I have a 27 person Christmas list :scared: and this will cut down ~5 names. They are hard to shop for and we all exchange random junk from target that gets returned anyway. I pitched a cookie exchange for the grown ups several years ago but it never caught on.
This is what our family does but gifts get harder to select every year!

I love this idea.

We have never gone anywhere for Christmas . We are seriously considering it this year. Now I have spent many New Years traveling to bowl games with the Crimson Tide, and I am sure the OP can understand how that has gotten expensive for Alabama fans in the Saban era. Lol

DD22 and her boyfriend moved half way cross country a month ago so they will be doing the travelling home to visit me and his parents. It gives me an excuse not to travel to see my siblings and nephews - I'm over that to be honest. Did it forever, but then took the last 2 years off due to the pandemic and kinda liked it...so I'm happy to not travel again. Christmas travel is just too crazy.

Gift-wise, I paid for DD/Boyfriend's cabin on a European cruise next May, with myself, my sister and her husband. So Christmas day is going to be stockings only. And lots of food. I splurge on Christmas foods and just plan to suck up the increase in prices this year. Most likely Christmas dinner will be Maine lobster tail. Christmas Eve I haven't figured out yet - maybe a nice prime rib. Christmas breakfast I like to have bagels shipped in from New York (you just can't get a good bagel anywhere else), but I wasn't really happy with them last year so not sure if I will do it again this year. But I'll find something that's relatively easy but elevated from the normal breakfast foods.

I already have token gifts for my nephews, which I send with the real gift of $$$. Just have to ship them off when the time comes.

I think our Christmas shopping will look about the same as years past. We don't exchange gifts with DH's family anymore, so I just have to get gifts for my family. I have my parents (Mom, Dad and Stepmom), 3 siblings and their spouses, twin toddler nieces and a 23 year old nephew to buy for. I already bought the twins a Cozy Coupe for their main gift and Nephew told me last week he just wants Best Buy gift cards for Christmas because there is a computer he wants to get, so that will be easy. I will get a little something for the secretaries at work. I have been trying to talk DH into not exchanging gifts the last few years because there is nothing either of us need, but he won't do it, so I will need to think of some things to get him.

Other than a couple batches of cookies, I don't have to buy any holiday food because we eat all our holiday meals at other peoples houses.

I have a son like that. He's autistic, doesn't want much, and is genuinely grateful for the things I do get, special for him. But, you can only give so many X-box gift cards, lottery tickets, and food items (like Trader Joe's Jingle Jangle). My problem is, his siblings make lists. Long, expensive lists. I don't mind getting them at least some of the things on their lists, but my poor older son looks left out! I do find a few nice things for him, but it's tricky. On the good side, he just got a car a few days ago--getting things for the car should round out his pile (a Halo Bolt, maybe one of those shade screen things, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter