Christine McCarthy should be fired

NightGuardianAngel

Mouseketeer
I feel like that Disney failed to provide an inclusive environment and an environment that fosters inclusion and diversity and failed to meet or exceed expectations. Also, to add, Disney CFO, Christine McCarthy (I thought it was Chapek earlier who made this comment) made a body shaming comment when they were talking about reducing portion sizes for food. She stated this, “We can cut portion size, which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.” in which is completely unprofessional, unethical, and offensive remark she made especially since losing weight and keeping it off is extremely difficult and plus some people have a medical condition that causes them to be overweight. That does not reflect diversity and inclusion and as a result, I was deeply offended by it. If Disney was to do the right thing, they would have terminated Christine McCarthy’s employment, effective immediately. This also justifies my last statement.

Also, decreasing portion sizes, is not in and itself, body shaming. If I want larger portion size, I can leave the park, go eat elsewhere, and re-enter. It is the comment and remark that Christine McCarthy, Disney CFO, made about waistlines that is and where she crossed the line. It is heartbreaking how a place that once was a happy place, tolerate such behavior.

I don't know this person you speak of, but as someone who overeats and gains weight, this is not even remotely offensive to me at all. Is it a glossy, feel-good statement? Nope. But it's the truth. Really, someone should be TERMINATED over a statement like this? I weep for the world.

Context of her statement? Was it a private conversation or public?

In this example, people get offended too easily.
This statement was made in November of 2021 on the 4th quarter earnings call. She said:

• During the Question and Answer portion of the event, McCarthy fielded a question regarding supply chain strains and inflation, with McCarthy mentioning that the company will look to other options before increasing prices, including changing suppliers and potentially reducing food portion sizes, then added “which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.”
Apparently, they have now shrunk the size of portions on various food items in the past 2 weeks and the statement is getting "revived" again.

I am overweight. I don't find the statement offensive at all. It's the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. If you REALLY want to parse it, she does say (according to the OP) a smaller portion size is probably good for SOME (emphasis mine) people's waistlines. If you are overweight for a reason other than eating too much, the statement doesn't apply to you.

Seems much ado about nothing.

I think the comment was in poor taste (pun intended). Shrinkation is especially painful at Disney prices.

If this is her only snarky public statement then I give her a pass, but I don't care for her.

This statement was made in November of 2021 on the 4th quarter earnings call. She said:

• During the Question and Answer portion of the event, McCarthy fielded a question regarding supply chain strains and inflation, with McCarthy mentioning that the company will look to other options before increasing prices, including changing suppliers and potentially reducing food portion sizes, then added “which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.”
Apparently, they have now shrunk the size of portions on various food items in the past 2 weeks and the statement is getting "revived" again.

r.e. bold - I'm thinking I would have referenced the ever decreasing size of TP and left the waistline out.

Actually, what needs to be shrunk is DIS management overhead. That "portion size" definitely needs thinning.

I totally agree that Disney’s food portions are too large. We usually just do quick service and I can eat about half of it and I’m a foodie who loves to eat. I don’t really see anything offensive in her wording.

The remark was in poor taste due to the context and timing. It should not have been part of an earnings call. I am not saying it’s a fireable offense, but I would hope someone had a word with her after the call regarding appropriate comments during such an event. She could have said they were offering healthier portion sizes, left out the waistline comment, and essentially made the same point.

It is never a good idea to potentially insult your stockholders, even if what you are saying is the truth. There is a time and a place for everything.

As a Disney CFO she should’ve used better judgement in saying such a thing in terms of cost savings.

Disney is criticized by others as catering to diversity and inclusion to the point that there are groups boycotting the parks, tv shows, etc. over it and now this one comment is offensive? Ridiculous. Personally, I find many serving sizes waaay too big and not just at Disney. I rarely finish a complete meal and I'm far from thin. I'm good with smaller portions.

I agree the portion sizes are too big, heck I order kid's meals at QS and can't even finish that. As far as the comment. Doesn't offend me in the least. She didn't say anything about overweight people, she made a general comment "some people's waistlines". Not a false statement and frankly, unless you have an eating disorder, anyone can fall into "some people" category, overweight or not. Let's face it, it's not bad for anyone, unless they eat like a bird (which I do), to cut down their portion sizes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter