• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christine McCarthy should be fired

It wasn't even so much that she dared to comment on waistlines. It's that she positioned them cutting portions (and value for what guests are paying) as some sort of a favor to those guests. If sizes are too big, cut portions AND prices. But we all know that's not what the issue was.

LOL um no. All she said was reduced portions were good for waistlines. It's not like she said something like hey!! All those fat people out there need smaller portions or anything genuinely offensive. Speaking of which. I'm going to take a walk. That's good for my waistline.

I'm not surprised by the comments here because this is on the Community Board and it will end up being very different but the topic and her comments have been talked about since they came out on other places on the Board. The furor over her comments has long since died down.

The comment was made more than a year ago during the 4th quarter earnings call of last year. Long before our inflation concerns of this year. So really old news OP.

It wasn't even so much that she dared to comment on waistlines. It's that she positioned them cutting portions (and value for what guests are paying) as some sort of a favor to those guests. If sizes are too big, cut portions AND prices. But we all know that's not what the issue was.
Oh please, if you have a problem with her making it sound like the company is doing something nice for the customers, you must have a problem with every other business in the world. They'll ALL claim whatever they're doing is for the benefit of the customers. But they're ALL doing it for the money.

Actually I took it as an offhand comment. I think she thought she was being cute, clever, or funny. None of which she was. The whole exchange was how about how Disney could keep costs down on food items and she listed several possibilities: new suppliers, product substitutions, and/or reduced portions sizes (what we all know as Shrinkflation, lol). Then she added that the reduced portion sizes might also help some customers' waistlines. Totally unneccesary remark, not clever, not funny. But not a fireable offense either nor an exercise in body shaming. Probably just trying to be cutsie. Nor did I take it that Disney was pitching anything like they are doing us all a favor portion wise. Yeah, I want smaller portions, but I want smaller prices with it!

Actually I took it as an offhand comment. I think she thought she was being cute, clever, or funny. None of which she was. The whole exchange was how about how Disney could keep costs down on food items and she listed several possibilities: new suppliers, product substitutions, and/or reduced portions sizes (what we all know as Shrinkflation, lol). Then she added that the reduced portion sizes might also help some customers' waistlines. Totally unneccesary remark, not clever, not funny. But not a fireable offense either nor an exercise in body shaming. Probably just trying to be cutsie. Nor did I take it that Disney was pitching anything like they are doing us all a favor portion wise. Yeah, I want smaller portions, but I want smaller prices with it!
Do executives often make cutsie off-hand comments during earnings calls?

Instead of commenting, though, it's probably best just to say that they will reduce the portion sizes and leave it at that. I feel the portion sizes at Disney and many other US restaurants are often way too much food but it is absolutely none of my business how much others eat.

:scratchin Well, they're human people, and at that high a level the atmosphere is probably a little "clubby", so I'll say absolutely it could happen. If the person has kind of a smart-aleckey personality and is probably not used to anybody pushing back (as is often the case with business elite, in their own environments), it's not hard to fathom. And this is why most big companies have, by necessity, professional marketing and media relations people...

When I first read her comments last year, my first thought was this is incredibly tone deef. So here we are a year later and Chapek is out with all kinds of speculation on who will be the next long term CEO. I would think having just launched one CEO who had public relations problems, the above comment should remind us all that Christine McCarthy is NOT CEO material.

It's being mean to people with larger waistlines.
Is it? Do you think reduced portion sizes WOULDN'T benefit ANYONE?

I used to be a department head. I had to criticize an employee because they didn't follow the procedure that *I* had directed them to follow. I got reprimanded because I didn't "stroke their ego" (ie: tell them how good a job they normally do) before telling them they did 'x' wrong. I didn't yell, I didn't cuss. I said "You were told to do 'x' and you didn't. Why?" (It was a regulatory issue which is why it was a big deal) People take offense WAY too easily.

Is it? Do you think reduced portion sizes WOULDN'T benefit ANYONE?

I used to be a department head. I had to criticize an employee because they didn't follow the procedure that *I* had directed them to follow. I got reprimanded because I didn't "stroke their ego" (ie: tell them how good a job they normally do) before telling them they did 'x' wrong. I didn't yell, I didn't cuss. I said "You were told to do 'x' and you didn't. Why?" (It was a regulatory issue which is why it was a big deal) People take offense WAY too easily.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir here, lol!! No, it's not mean. The OP apparently was so insulted by it, they advocated for her termination. So someone thinks it's mean. That's why my comment in the OP was "I weep for this world."

I am a manager of 9 people, I feel your pain. I've had employees here and there who get incredibly hurt, take it personally when they do something wrong and it's pointed out to them. I just don't get it. Fortunately, the majority take it well, learn, and move on.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here, lol!! No, it's not mean. The OP apparently was so insulted by it, they advocated for her termination. So someone thinks it's mean. That's why my comment in the OP was "I weep for this world."

I am a manager of 9 people, I feel your pain. I've had employees here and there who get incredibly hurt, take it personally when they do something wrong and it's pointed out to them. I just don't get it. Fortunately, the majority take it well, learn, and move on.
Sorry, my computer doesn't display the sarcasm font very well. :rotfl2: I misinterpreted your comment.

It might be better if she kept to a professional persona while at work.
And then she could also enjoy making cutsie or sarcastic remarks with friends and family.

Yes, if they were shrinking portion sizes for health reasons, that would be fine if prices decreased accordingly. But the entire point is to charge more for less. Tossing in that it may be good for some people's waistlines (to be charged more money for less food) is a bit tactless. It's kind of like saying, "Well, you're getting ripped off by our prices, but at least you might lose a few pounds"

Instead of commenting, though, it's probably best just to say that they will reduce the portion sizes and leave it at that. I feel the portion sizes at Disney and many other US restaurants are often way too much food but it is absolutely none of my business how much others eat.
I also find portion size at most restaurants to be much too large for one meal, but I think the problem with just reducing the sizes that people are used to is the perceived value. Typically, every meal I order in a restaurant is either shared or a portion is boxed up to eat for lunch at home. I would happily pay a reduced price for a smaller size if that were an option. (Like kids meal sized versions of the adult entrees.) But, I admit, I would be annoyed if I paid the same price and received half the amount of food.

She said a dumb thing one time. We all say dumb things. She doesn't deserve to be fired for that. She has a long history with the company and apparently was the major person in the c-suite to speak up to the board about the lack of confidence towards Chapek as a leader. It was she, ultimately, who the Board finally listened to when deciding to fire him. We should all be thankful she got to them before he did. He was gonna throw her under the bus and try to get HER fired for his poor performance.

Yes, if they were shrinking portion sizes for health reasons, that would be fine if prices decreased accordingly. But the entire point is to charge more for less. Tossing in that it may be good for some people's waistlines (to be charged more money for less food) is a bit tactless. It's kind of like saying, "Well, you're getting ripped off by our prices, but at least you might lose a few pounds"
Yeah her comment was doltish, for sure. But a fireable statement? Bodyshaming? Not inclusive? That response seems over the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter