Christine & Andrew 09/03/09 WP/WHR, Guest photos

Not sure why your ticker says 5 months 4 weeks and 1 day cuz your 9/3?!?!?!:confused3 Anyway

Happy 6 months!!!!

I just need to vent! My save the dates went out about 2 weeks ago and I sent my giant newsletter package out a couple of days after that. We are using the Whitehall Room so we can only have 50 people for our reception, we have 63 on the guest list counting us. We know certain people on our list can't come and that brings us right to about 50--perfect. So I thought...

The other day one of the guests called and says, "I need you to send one of those packages to Jim and Sue." My newsletter package included park maps to all the parks, including the water parks and downtown Disney, so I said, "Oh, are they thinking of going to Disney and need the maps?" This guest says, "Oh, yes, they are coming to the wedding." WHAT??!! :confused: They did not get a save the date or a package...uh...because they were not invited! They are cousins that we see once every 10 years! So I politely explain that we can only have 50 people and we are at 63. My guest says, "Oh, I didn't know that. They already bought plane tickets and got a hotel." ARE YOU KIDDING?! :furious: Who buys plane tickets for a wedding that they didn't get an invitation to? So I start studdering and don't know what to say or do...My guest tops it off by saying, "They can probably find somewhere for the kids while they are at the wedding..." THE KIDS? :furious::furious::furious: These people have like 3 kids and they are probably 6 to 11 years old, what would you do with them? Tie them up in your room? So I end the call with "We'll see what we can do." and I immediatly get on the phone with my future mother in law. My fmil tells me this guest was told TWICE by both my fmil and her sister that our wedding was going to be small and we were not inviting cousins, just aunts and uncles. She was also told only the children of the bridal party would be there. That is just messed up, she played me and she's Andy's Aunt, not mine! Oh, and it doesn't end there...I called Andy to tell him about my call and he tells me this: His best man called him (he is the son of the above guest). The best man said that his wife's mother is dying and has moved in with them. They are bringing her to the wedding because the wife doesn't want to leave her dying mother home alone. Huh? The best man lives in Florida, about 3 hours from Disney. They have even already RSVP'ed on our website with the 3 of them. So now we have this mother of the wife of the best man coming and have no clue who she is.

Has anyone else had this issue? What do I do? If everyone does this I could end up with 150 people....how do I get this under control?!

Christine-I TOTALLY feel your pain.

When we were planning, I had only met DH's immediate family, and his one favorite uncle. The rest of the extended family NEVER (as in at least the past 10 years) gets together. I asked DH to invite whomever he wanted, and we did list his aunts and uncles but ZERO cousins. Well, I don't know if the one uncle misunderstood or what, but they used it as an opportunity to make it into a family reunion, and the next thing we know his cousin has emailed DH letting him know that she, her son, her BF and her BF's two daughters would be coming!!! I was SOO pissed. We originally were using WH, as well, but with this sudden growth (and other surprises) we were too large and had to look for another location.

To make matters worse, many of the "surprises" never RSVPd and I had to haggle them for a commitment (we had 4 events: Welcome Dinner, Tea Party, Reception and Dessert Party) and I kept getting the "we'll definitely be there for the wedding, but we'll see if we can make it to the others. You know how it is with kids at Disney!!" EXCUSE ME! It was so hard to keep from telling her that she was out of her mind and that her indecision could cost me $250 per person!

In the end, we loved having our reception at Narcoossee's. It allowed me to use WH for my tea party and I loved the location on the dock. I still couldn't care less that those extra folks were there, but thankfully for us, it didn't break the bank. It was rude, and it cost us more money that they probably spent on the whole vacation, but in the end, it brought his family together.

I won't say it doesn't stink. It's absolutely ridiculous. I can only pose these questions to you that I posed to my DH 1. Apart from them inviting themselves, would you like to see them there? 2. Are you okay with them (or other family members) being ticked at you if you stick by your guns, even though it's not your fault? and 3. (and most importantly) can you afford to be the classy, gracious one?

It sounds like the answer to 1. is NO, so if no one is going to be miffed about it...make it clear that this was a no-cousin event. If someone is going to be miffed (that you care about), can you afford it? If yes, then let it roll of your back and relax. If you can't, or it will change your site plans...I would put pressure on DF and his family to enforce the rules.

Sorry that is so convoluted, but it is a ridiculous situation with no easy answer!

Heidi said it perfectly! I couldn't have said it better myself.

But Oh my goodness Christine! I am so sorry you are going through this added stress! How inconsiderate of them to just assume they were invited! And you know, if you decide to not include them, you can always let them use the discounted room block rate and just have them make it a vacation I spose... I cannot believe people would do this though!

Christine-I TOTALLY feel your pain.

When we were planning, I had only met DH's immediate family, and his one favorite uncle. The rest of the extended family NEVER (as in at least the past 10 years) gets together. I asked DH to invite whomever he wanted, and we did list his aunts and uncles but ZERO cousins. Well, I don't know if the one uncle misunderstood or what, but they used it as an opportunity to make it into a family reunion, and the next thing we know his cousin has emailed DH letting him know that she, her son, her BF and her BF's two daughters would be coming!!! I was SOO pissed. We originally were using WH, as well, but with this sudden growth (and other surprises) we were too large and had to look for another location.

To make matters worse, many of the "surprises" never RSVPd and I had to haggle them for a commitment (we had 4 events: Welcome Dinner, Tea Party, Reception and Dessert Party) and I kept getting the "we'll definitely be there for the wedding, but we'll see if we can make it to the others. You know how it is with kids at Disney!!" EXCUSE ME! It was so hard to keep from telling her that she was out of her mind and that her indecision could cost me $250 per person!

In the end, we loved having our reception at Narcoossee's. It allowed me to use WH for my tea party and I loved the location on the dock. I still couldn't care less that those extra folks were there, but thankfully for us, it didn't break the bank. It was rude, and it cost us more money that they probably spent on the whole vacation, but in the end, it brought his family together.

I won't say it doesn't stink. It's absolutely ridiculous. I can only pose these questions to you that I posed to my DH 1. Apart from them inviting themselves, would you like to see them there? 2. Are you okay with them (or other family members) being ticked at you if you stick by your guns, even though it's not your fault? and 3. (and most importantly) can you afford to be the classy, gracious one?

It sounds like the answer to 1. is NO, so if no one is going to be miffed about it...make it clear that this was a no-cousin event. If someone is going to be miffed (that you care about), can you afford it? If yes, then let it roll of your back and relax. If you can't, or it will change your site plans...I would put pressure on DF and his family to enforce the rules.

Sorry that is so convoluted, but it is a ridiculous situation with no easy answer!

Heidi said it perfectly! I couldn't have said it better myself.

But Oh my goodness Christine! I am so sorry you are going through this added stress! How inconsiderate of them to just assume they were invited! And you know, if you decide to not include them, you can always let them use the discounted room block rate and just have them make it a vacation I spose... I cannot believe people would do this though!

Thanks for listening...I can't believe that others have had the same sort of issues, it's amazing that some people are so inconsiderate! What kind of answer is "We'll see"? That's worse than my cousins issue! Maybe after invitations we should send out a round of 'your un-inviteds' to those with that kind of answer:rotfl:. We are following the advice we got here and sticking to our guns with the guest list. The more we talked about it, we realized if other aunts and uncles came and saw that certain cousins there but their kids were not invited, we'd have even more people upset with us. We plan to tell the cousins that if they already have plane tickets, they are welcome to join us at the wedding chapel because that is huge, but, we're sorry, we just don't have room at the reception. We are going to let the best man bring his mother in law, mostly because he is the best man and she is just one person. I'm just so glad to have someone here to talk to about this stuff, thanks!

On a lighter note, I got my invitation materials from Cards & Pockets and I'm going to start working on them this weekend! My bridesmaids and I are also going Saturday to pick their dresses, so I should have some fun photos for the PJ! We leave in 2 weeks for our planning session and I really need to get my ideas together for that too...eek! I remember 6 months ago thinking I had nothing to do wedding wise, now I'm thinking I need a leave of absence from work to get this stuff done!

Christine-I'm glad you've come to a resolution. I think that's the worst part...deciding what to do about it! You didn't create the mess, but you have to clean it up!

I hope the rest goes smoothly, and we can't wait to see the invites!!

I just caught up. I am so sorry you have to deal with dis-respectful guests. I had a few people tell me that they were going to bring others, or so and so wants to go. That is one area I do not mind becoming a Bridezilla over!!! No is no!

How are the inivitations coming along? Can't wait to see them!

That sounds like a very nice compromise Christine, glad it all resolved itself. You must feel very relieved now:goodvibes. I can't wait to hear how dress shopping went this weekend, did you find anything for your BM's?

And 2 weeks until your PS you must be getting so excited!

So I just read through your PJ. First off, you are super lucky Christine to get all those DVC points! That's so awesome.

Secondly, I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. What a terrible thing to happen.

Your dress is very glamorous and beautiful! I love the colors and the table set up! Plus the hydrangeas!

Ugh about the un-invited! I'm SOOO nervous about this issue when it gets to be my wedding. I want a VERY small wedding, and DBF has a large family who he's not very close to. I don't talk to half my family. Plus my parents are paying for it (which his parents don't know yet) so I know we have a limit. We want a larger home party later on to involve those who were not invited. As of now (2.5 years in advance, yes very early) his family thinks it's going to be: everyone is invited, those who can afford to go can go, and it's more like you're invited, you're not. But I love your idea for dealing with them. This way, you're including them in the most important part of the day. However, I feel there will still be hurt feelings. But it's your wedding, and if you a) don't want them there and/or b) don't want/can't afford to pay for them to be there, then just: :cool2: If your fiance doesn't care, then just put on the bridal shades, and do what YOU want to do.

So I just read through your PJ. First off, you are super lucky Christine to get all those DVC points! That's so awesome.

Secondly, I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. What a terrible thing to happen.

Your dress is very glamorous and beautiful! I love the colors and the table set up! Plus the hydrangeas!

Ugh about the un-invited! I'm SOOO nervous about this issue when it gets to be my wedding. I want a VERY small wedding, and DBF has a large family who he's not very close to. I don't talk to half my family. Plus my parents are paying for it (which his parents don't know yet) so I know we have a limit. We want a larger home party later on to involve those who were not invited. As of now (2.5 years in advance, yes very early) his family thinks it's going to be: everyone is invited, those who can afford to go can go, and it's more like you're invited, you're not. But I love your idea for dealing with them. This way, you're including them in the most important part of the day. However, I feel there will still be hurt feelings. But it's your wedding, and if you a) don't want them there and/or b) don't want/can't afford to pay for them to be there, then just: :cool2: If your fiance doesn't care, then just put on the bridal shades, and do what YOU want to do.

Thank you! I never thought twice about hydrangeas until I started planning this wedding, now I love them! I haven't had anymore uninvited guest issues since I added the little blub to our website. We actually did a little unofficial count the other day and we are under the 50 we want to be at, so that's great! I just keep remembering what Emily Post said, "Only invite those guests that you would not think twice about taking out to dinner and paying their tab when there is no occassion such as a wedding." I think it's my new motto.

A little update...We went shopping last weekend for bridesmaid dresses. My MOH got sick and couldn't go. But my other bridesmaids and I went anyway. Our first stop was Davids Bridal and I hated that place! They were just the most rude, arrogant people ever! I had to 'register' at the front desk and give them my name, phone number, deed to my house...We were then 'assigned' someone to follow us around and annoy us. The girls did find dresses that they liked but nothing anyone loved. They are all wearing different styles of the same basic black dress with light blue sashes. These are what they picked..

Amy.jpg

Emily.jpg

And this is basically what they will look like with the sashes..

of50590393-1.jpg

So we went to lunch. We all drank some alcohol to get over our Davids experience. We then headed over to another place which was WAY overpriced and left there within 10 minutes. We went to the hood and walked into the dirtiest store I've ever been in but they had a huge selection, and we'd been drinking...so we looked.

The girls took a couple dresses into a dressing room and I asked the really pushy saleswoman where the restroom was. She pointed and said, "Oh, it's right between those 2 benches." The 1st bench was an old backseat out of a van. It was green plaid and even had the little ashtrays in the armrests! The other bench was an old park bench...OMG. So I go into the bathroom which doubles as the janitors closet. There are mop buckets and chemicals all over but, as I straddled the toilet, ---no way am I sitting--- I read the sign stapled to the wall...."If you go #2 make sure you flush twice." Now, I've been drinking, so this is funny as hell. As I come out of the bathroom craving disinfectant, I hear one of my bridesmaids yelling my name. I went in her dressing room and she is literally stuck in a dress! I could not stop laughing and wouldn't help her out of it until I took this photo..

IMG_1558.jpg

Somehow she has one arm down in the dress and the other is sticking straight out the top and she seriously couldn't get out of the thing :rotfl2:
So, since I'm a little smaller, I tried the dress on so they could see what it looked like. Then I got stuck with both my arms sticking out the top...thank God the saleswoman came and helped me before the evil bridesmaids could find my camera!

By this time we had 7 or 8 dresses hanging on the hook in the dressing room...the saleswoman kept bringing us the ugliest dresses she had in stock. Then the hook with all the dresses gave way. All the dresses fell on the floor. The saleslady came back right at that moment with another nasty dress, she saw the dresses on the floor and yelled at us like we were in 3rd grade. I pointed to the broken hook and she changed back into her 'other' personality telling us that they thought they'd fixed that hook. Holy crap, at this point I think we're staying at this place because it's just too hilarious to leave!

Every dress in this place is a size 6, 8 or 10 so there isn't much my girls can actually try but there is one dress I just loved! So I tried it on for them, they didn't seem all that excited about it but I really fell in love with it. I think I may buy it to wear at my rehearsal dinner. This is 'my' dress....

untitled-1.jpg

I would probably get it in black with an ivory sash. I think I'll find someplace to buy it other than where I found it though!

So after all that, we still haven't actually ordered any dresses, we have to let the MOH look. I'm hoping that she gets some free time tomorrow so we can go look around.

I'm feeling like I'm on a roll with my arts and crafts...things are getting done. I ordered my little favor boxes and the ribbon to go around them...
This is the ribbon...
e533_1.jpg

and these are the boxes (minus the white ribbon)
BOX_2PC20WHT_100.jpg

I also finished by welcome bags, at least the outside of them. I'm going to shop for the contents once we get to Orlando...
IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

I have the front monograms and the accommodations portion of my pocketfolds done. :yay:

I'm considering adding some bright pink roses into my flower plan, just a few, but I like them and darn it, I'm going to put them somewhere! This is the only photo I've found even close to that idea...

wedding_ceremony.jpg

Next week is my planning session so hopefully I get some help with the flower stuff. I can't wait! :woohoo:

I just caught up. I am so sorry you have to deal with dis-respectful guests. I had a few people tell me that they were going to bring others, or so and so wants to go. That is one area I do not mind becoming a Bridezilla over!!! No is no!

How are the inivitations coming along? Can't wait to see them!

It's amazing isn't it? I'm glad I'm not the only one out there going Bridezilla over that issue!

I'm hoping to have the invitations done by the end of the weekend. I'm thinking I don't even have to send them out until like July. When are you sending yours?

I've had a very productive weekend! I pretty much have the templates for my invites done (invite and the inserts), I figured out my ceremony music and I even managed to work in the backyard a little. I'm getting really nervous about the planning session...it's Friday! I just don't have any "I've got to have that" ideas in my head other than chair sashes; I would think I'd have more of a clear cut plan by now of what exactly I'm doing. :confused3

I still have to find the right ribbon for the invites. I'm also looking for some sort of subtle Disney charm or something to put under where the inserts line up. I'm hoping to find something in Downtown Disney this weekend. Here's sneak peek... ;)
IMG_1574.jpg

I'm still not sure on the colors, I think the blues are too bright and I need to grey up the date portion a little, but I have the wording and layout right. The little thingy poking out of the bottom of the pocket is actually the monogram that goes on the front...

Here is what I have for music, we are doing all Disney scores (no words) until the recessional...

Seating of the guests, parents, entrance of Rev. Day:
1. Fairy Dance (Peter Pan)
2. Bambi and the Great Prince (Bambi II)
3. Transformation (Beauty and the Beast)
*(I cut off the end of it, where there is singing)

Entrance of the Groom, groomsmen:
1. The Medallion Calls (Pirates of the Caribbean: Black Pearl)

Entrance of the bridesmaids:
1. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (Lion King: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)

Entrance of the Bride:
1. Peter Returns (Peter Pan)

Recessional:
1. A Moment Like This (Kelly Clarkston)
(song starts 2min and 26sec into it)
2. Flying (Peter Pan)

I actually have some of the songs embedded in our website if you're curious... I downloaded the Royal Philharmonic version of Can You Feel the Love from itunes so I can't use that one on the website.

http://www.disneyfairytale.weddingwindow.com

And I picked out some shoes!
82557lg-1.jpg

I HAVE to find a place to get my dress bustled!! I'm just not sure who to trust with my dress! :scared:

OMG! It's just getting too close so fast! :scared1::scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter