Choose a Carpool

Choose a carpool

• The Magic is as strong as ever

• The Magic has faded, but I am very optimistic

• The Magic is in serious jeaopardy

• The Magic is lost, I'm not going back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Replace Eisner with someone who can take Walt's vision FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Walt had his way there would be no Magic Kingdom (he was talked into that by the bankers), no Epcot (as we know it), no MGM/Disney Studios, no Animal Kingdom...it wouldn't even be called WDW. Walt's 'vision' was that the area would be an Experimental Community of Tommorrow, no theme parks.
If anything, the Disney organization (Eisner) has moved more towards Walt's vision, lately, with the addition of all the rooms to WDW.
WDW has never been better.
Just because they are not opening a new theme park or adding a new e-ride attraction at each park THIS year doesn't take away from what it is and still has to offer. The ONLY difference is the cutbacks in hours and shows as a result of the reduced attendance. We are coming off a boom time (Millenium Celebration), where Disney increased hours and shows and added a new theme park and many new attractions and live shows...and the highest attendance ever!

At least for me and my family - Disney has lost its magic.

My wife was hurt on a ride at WDW which required over $3,000 in Doctor and Hospital bills in the week following the injury. While we were at WDW and while my wife was confined to her bed in our room - all that WDW would say is that we could not prove thatit was the fault of WDW and we were on our own.

Later a Orlando area Law firm told us that WDW was know in the Legal community as Floridas biggest SOB and that it isn't worth the hastle to prove their liability.

When it comes to Operational Excellence - Disney needs to read its own book!

I just hopped into car number 3.. First trip was June 1972 (20th birthday). Been down twice a year since. Lost the magic after becoming a cm at tds. When you start to see everything as a money making scheme magic gets lost. It all started with a mouse but someone got rid of the mouse for a bear...Had a trip planned for July and just cancelled it for a new location... Need to break away for a while.

All things change over time but the changes in Disney are coming faster and faster and not for the better. Though the economy has had the most immediate effect on things, changes were occuring before this. It seems all the little extra goodies(choc. candies after your meal)had already started to disappear. Park maintenance was going down. Last trip 12/01 some of the restrooms were filthy. Attractions are becoming worn looking and in dire need of upgrading. Landscaping and maintenance have slipped also. Some of the problems seem to stem from the company vending out services rather than keeping it in the Disney family. There is still a thrill when we walk under the station at MK but as one member posted there is something ominous lurking over things also.

Also hate to see things such as the carnival area added to Dinoland. Avoiding this kind of park was one of the reasons Walt Disney wanted to build Disneyland. And what was that mess they made of Imagination?

Disney stores no longer have the quality they had when opened. Disney closed the DisneyQuest in Chicago even though there always seemed to be lines.

There are still instances of Pixie Dust, usually brought about by one of the cast members, who still have the old Disney spirit.

Did we really need a hockey team, a baseball team, a sports complex(remember that little law suit) or a less than stellar t.v. network.

One hopes management can turn things around and not turn the company into a takeover target as it was once before. What a sad world it would be without our happy mouse.

All things change over time but the changes in Disney are coming faster and faster and not for the better. Though the economy has had the most immediate effect on things, changes were occuring before this. It seems all the little extra goodies(choc. candies after your meal)had already started to disappear. Park maintenance was going down. Last trip 12/01 some of the restrooms were filthy. Attractions are becoming worn looking and in dire need of upgrading. Landscaping and maintenance have slipped also. Some of the problems seem to stem from the company vending out services rather than keeping it in the Disney family. There is still a thrill when we walk under the station at MK but as one member posted there is something ominous lurking over things also.

Also hate to see things such as the carnival area added to Dinoland. Avoiding this kind of park was one of the reasons Walt Disney wanted to build Disneyland. And what was that mess they made of Imagination?

Disney stores no longer have the quality they had when opened. Disney closed the DisneyQuest in Chicago even though there always seemed to be lines.

There are still instances of Pixie Dust, usually brought about by one of the cast members, who still have the old Disney spirit.

Did we really need a hockey team, a baseball team, a sports complex(remember that little law suit) or a less than stellar t.v. network.

One hopes management can turn things around and not turn the company into a takeover target as it was once before. What a sad world it would be without our happy mouse.

a little late for this and i havent posted in awhile but just need to say

I FEEL THE MAGIC IS FADING AND NO HOPE OF IT COMMING BACK

i used to be optomistic but i dont think thats even logical any longer

Hey, BRERALEX, you should come back the the Parks Game thread. Everybody keeps asking what happened to you.

hey that made my week ksdave my week has been really bad those kind words make me feel alot better (wisdom tooth missed two days of school and i need a new alternator for my truck!!!!!!!)

ill try to add over there but you guys have some really really tough questions but that thread does help with remembering the magic alot! thanx

Car 1

A bold announcement on AK would solidify that. A weak one would get me thinking about car 2 without the "very optomistic".

I am jumping in at the tail end of this but wanted to vote... I voted the Magic is as strong as ever....

WHY? Well most of the recent cutbacks havent effected us... The biggies........ shorter park hours, EE,and E-nights dont play a role in our current WDW experince....... Our kids are too little to get up that early or stay up that late.... .... we are at the parks at opening and leave by noon..... Back to our wonderful DVC resorts to relax.... maybe hitting Epcot for an early dinner.... I will even go so far as saying (right now) we prefer the Charcater Caravan to EE!! :earseek:
The fact that Disney has not lower prices to reflect the shorter hours, doesnt bother us. We wouldnt take advantage of them anyway.... so that point, for us, is moot.... Does that make sense?

Could the place use some paint here and there... YEs... BUT the only place it bothered me was under the bridge from YC/BC to MGM. Again no biggy.... they got a lot to paint... they will get around to it.

I guess we have lucked out....We dont require a lot from WDW these days to be totally feel the Magic. And I know in a few years, as the ecomony grows, Disney will be back better than ever!

When my family and I are at WDW there is still no other feeling that matches it...... My three year old knows nothing of paint chippping, or the ramafications of Dinoland.... she sees WDW through the eyes of a child.... and it is perfect!

The only thing that hurts is not having CoP open all the time..... I love that ride!

Oh and I would vote for Monorail expansion!!! But we dont mind the busses.... the kids think it is the first and last RIDE of the day!!! :D

OK I'm climbing out of car 4 into car 3! I went to the Disney store today to check out pass prices - I've gone six months now without a DL or WDW visit, and both AP's expired for the first time since 1993 back in January......

But I will admit that I am going through withdrawal, even with all of the cutbacks. Even the CM at the Disneystore today raved about Universal and how they do things right!

Sign me up for carpool number 1... I guess I am diehard Disney all the way!

I'm in car # 1 but leaning out with hands on car # 2. I love Disney. I love the way I feel when I think about walking down main street at WDW. I love the way I feel when watching a disney movie. I love receiving the Disney catalog. I ADORE my disney pin collection and I love the idea of sitting on my balcony at either the Contemporary resort or onboard the Magic.

I don't know much about the business end of Disney. To be honest, I don't know Eisner and what he has done or has in store for Disney. I believe in my heart that WDW will continue to do what it has done for many years and that is to light up a child's face once he/she has seen Mickey Mouse. And to light up an adult's face once he/she has walked down main street at either park. There is just something about the parks that maintain the magic. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe that is the way it is meant to be. You don't always know how a magician does what he does, you just like what he does. I like what Disney does and will continue to go year after year. (as long as my DH lets me)

This is great stuff from over 10 years ago. After visiting as a kid in 70s & 80s, I missed the entire decade of the 90's and have been visiting Disney regularly since 2004. This thread provides some insight from my missing time period.

I don't know EE was before Expedition Everest. :confused3

Just for the record in 2012, I choose car #2.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

I chose car number 2 although I know the situation is more likely car number 3 and I'm in denial. Maintenance has been ignored far too long, customer service standards are slipping, and although I realize its more cost effective to have identical products at all of the gift shops I wish they had kept at least a few unique product lines in each gift shop. When I went over my honeymoon, the villian store at DHS didn't even really have villian merch in it! I'd be embarrassed to offer the overall product that WDW does.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

I chose car number 2 although I know the situation is more likely car number 3 and I'm in denial. Maintenance has been ignored far too long, customer service standards are slipping, and although I realize its more cost effective to have identical products at all of the gift shops I wish they had kept at least a few unique product lines in each gift shop. When I went over my honeymoon, the villian store at DHS didn't even really have villian merch in it! I'd be embarrassed to offer the overall product that WDW does.

I might switch to #3 after the FP+ announcements. But really I just want to ride around in Barons car for awhile. It would be an enlightening ride.

I might switch to #3 after the FP+ announcements. But really I just want to ride around in Barons car for awhile. It would be an enlightening ride.

It would indeed be enlightening, not for me alone, but for the rest of the Car #3 passengers!! HOWEVER, I think it won't be long before you are driving. You seem to, what I used to call - GET IT!!!!

And your take on FP+ proves that point!! Once again, Disney is on the wrong track!!

I feel like the Harley is permanently stuck between cars 3 and 4 now.

The magic is pretty much gone. At least, as I define it. certainly nothing magical has been created (as I define it) though some very nice additions have happened in DL. Nothing magical.

But at the same time, the bleeding has stopped in some sense and I have no intention of no longer going. In particular to Disneyland.

Perhaps a new car in the carpool lane is needed. Car 3.5. The magic is never getting better, but there's enough to keep me going.

This is great stuff from over 10 years ago. After visiting as a kid in 70s & 80s, I missed the entire decade of the 90's and have been visiting Disney regularly since 2004. This thread provides some insight from my missing time period.

I don't know EE was before Expedition Everest. :confused3

Just for the record in 2012, I choose car #2.

Wow!:eek: What an old thread!! l

It would indeed be enlightening, not for me alone, but for the rest of the Car #3 passengers!! HOWEVER, I think it won't be long before you are driving. You seem to, what I used to call - GET IT!!!!

And your take on FP+ proves that point!! Once again, Disney is on the wrong track!!

High praise indeed! I will take it.

As for the wrong track, the boards are lit up right now. What I find most interesting about the discussions is the lack of understanding the motive. Whether this FP+ turns out great or ends up terrible. Whether it benefits 70% of the people or benefits 30% is really irrelevant. It is very clear from all the articles that I have read that Disney is implementing this as a marketing scheme, not a value added customer service perk. This isn't about Disney charging their imagineers with creating the next great thing to give the parks a 21st century over the top twist. Just think if this was all designed to enhance the customer experience? Think of the press releases then!!! Instead we get this:

From the NYtimes:
"If Disney can drive more value from existing infrastructure by layering on technology, that is extremely powerful,” said Mr. Brown of Lo-Q. “They can’t just compete by building new rides; it’s already a theme-park arms race out there.”

From Mr. Staggs, Chairman of the Parks:
Mr. Staggs explained that research indicated that guests — particularly mothers with strollers — viewed the turnstiles as an unpleasant barrier. “Small, subtle things can make a big difference,”

Or how about this one from the Chairman:

Mr. Staggs said. From a business perspective, he added, MyMagic+ could be “transformational.”

These are not quotes about customer experience. These are comments about changing a business model. I don't have a problem with changing the model, but I find it irritating having it sold to me as true Disney magic! Actually this technology is not even new, other theme parks and the Great Wolf Lodge have been using this technology for years.

And I can't wait until those price tiers come out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!