• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choose a Carpool

Choose a carpool

• The Magic is as strong as ever

• The Magic has faded, but I am very optimistic

• The Magic is in serious jeaopardy

• The Magic is lost, I'm not going back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wes - I'll take your observation one further. If two thirds of the respondants (all of us Disney fans) feel the magic has faded, then for us the magic has in fact faded. An obvious statement - but what I'm getting at is all the arguements by car #1 occupants in effect don't matter. Our perception is our reality, and Disney needs to recognize this. It's going to cost them brand loyalty - a little now but a growing amount in the years to come. I realize this informal poll is nowhere near representative - yet I would think Disney better pay attention.

Even more telling IMO is that anyone who would choose number 4 would not be here more than likely. If someone isn't returning to WDW why would they bother with a Disney fan site?

I chose number 3 primarily because of what's happened to Epcot. We used to spend a lot of time there but now the time is quite limited with only Animal Kingdom receiving less attention and that only because of its incomplete status. In a relatively short period of time, we lost It's Fun to be Free, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, a better Communicore (IMO) and FutureCorps (my personal favorite). No new lands have been added, Journey Into Your Imagination is a disappointment (bring back Figment!) and The Living Seas needs help. We just don't like it as much any more and it's very sad to me.

Maybe I'm not a seasoned WDW veteran, having been to the World only 4 times, 97, 99 & twice in 2000. So maybe I don't know what it was like in years past, but I still think there is plenty of magic. Every time I visit I feel like a child again. And until WDW fails to evoke this feeling I and firmly belted in car number 1 (hands in the air)!

WDW is one of the few places left where I can still wear rose colored glasses and feel safe.

Car number one runs on pixie dust:D

TTFN
TiggerFreak

I picked car 2 but I'd say I'm more cautiously and hopefully optimistic...if things keep going the way they seem to be perhaps I'd end up in car 3 in a few years. But we always do seem to enjoy wonderful times at WDW so until our trips are much more negatively effected than they have been by dirty trashcans at opening time and the rare surly cm I guess I'll hang out for the ride in car 2. I would so much love to be able to hop into car 1!

i chose car 2. Why even though I love going to disney every year or 2, Im from the UK, when i first started going there was something new e ticket sort of ride every year but now this year the only new thing is going to br millionaire and aladin. I want to bring my son to the park next trip no point bringing over in the 10 hour flight hes one at the moment yet, but when we go back will there be anything new for me to try? Like others said im a inbetweene 2 or 3. 2 for me because i see hope if they get BK on the go

Until we stop using this as a reference, I'm going to leave this at the top of the board. That way we can all see how the numbers are holding up.

Sarangel

Thanks. It's interesting to see that as of now about 70% feel that the Magic has faded to some degree. Unfortunately 99+% are willing to 'pay more for less' and still give their money to Disney.

btw: I'm not the 1%, I'm in car number 3. I just don't give as much money to Disney as I did a few years back! :)

I am stuck between cars 2 and 3. I am currently in car #3, but have faith that within a few years and a change in amangement, I will be able to move up to car 2.

DanG

I'm with you, Dan, except I'm in car #2. But then again, I'm currently wearing a shirt that says "Happiness is a state of mind. It's just according to the way you look at things." (DVC should recognize that quote).

Gary

I'd be in car #1 (of course) with my buddy, gcurling.
Although I've seen many magical things come and go at WDW since it opened, the quantity (and diversity) of magic has never been greater for a father and his little Princess (Tasha). 4 very different parks, Downtown Disney and the marvelous resorts all make for a world we can never see enough of even if we spend 15% of the year there. Every trip is a fun and special as the last. We always look forward to the next trip. I go out of my way to find an excuse to go, including:
Birthdays (anybody in the family, even if they don't go with us)
Celebrations (Aniversaries, Millenium, 100 years of WD...)
the Epcot Festivals
Halloween
Christmas (!!!!!!!)
Easter
Intercot meets (3)
End of school, beginning of school
anytime I have the money
and just for the hell of it

And as far as the 'rumor' of Adventureland opening an hour later...
I've also seen hours come and go since WDW opened.
MK used to be open (in season) until 1am, but with hours like that when do we sleep?
No one needs to go to Adventureland first thing in the am, since it never really gets crowded, you should be in Tommorrowland or Fantasyland 1st thing in the am.
Epcot used to close at 10pm, now generally closes at 9pm (sometimes 9:30pm), but brought added fireworks to the mix every night. (they experimented with a 10am opening, but that was a disaster)
WS opens at 11am, because nobody gets out there until later.
MGM used to close before dark, but recently (with the addition of Fantasmic), expanded greatly to as late as 11pm.
AK used to be open, NOT, now is open adding 9 WDW hours into the World.
Asia opens later because nobody gets out there until later.

It all evens out and most of the cutbacks make good sense (as opposed to closing them down all together as a result of lack of attendance).
MK now has more 'even' hours and isn't open too late.
Epcot continues to have solid hours (9-9).
MGM is open late and later now
AK is open about as long as it needs to, considering it's compliment of attractions (you can do pretty much everything in an AK day)

Good suggestions for WDW to consider (that I've heard on the boards or thought of myself)...
BK at AK, ASAP!!! A boma type buffet between Africa and Asia for lunch in an AK Lodge type building nestled into the forest, this would be the entrance into a new animal land in the future like Camp MM is now.
Halloween Horror nights at MGM (so I don't have to recommend Universal to people w/o kids)
Extend Epcot's monorail onto International Gateway, MGM, Blizzard Beach and AK, resort busses would then only have routes to/from the nearest station and Downtown Disney.
Add-on to 1st floor of Imagination Pavilion (hidden in the back where the new Imagination Institute Tour ride would travel through to makeup for the space lost when we lost the 2nd floor, the playarea moved to the 1st floor and the line was added to.
New multi-culture pavilions in Epcot, to help new countries afford sponsorship by sharing the cost.
New E attraction in Adventureland to balance out the park, and Atlantis or Little Mermaid in the lagoon.
More playareas for the kids with a permanent one ('Small-World' pavilion) in the World Showcase
More character diversity, yes I know that the main ones are in demand, but simply mix a 'wild-card' in there with them, like add Rabbit/Owl/Roo (alternating) to the Pooh Gang mix at the Buffet and MGM meet and greet. Like, throw in another duck to the Donald/Mickey/Goofy/Pluto mix at AKbuffet. Just make every meet and greet and buffet a bit of a surprise, instead of the same characters every time.
Make the bridge to Liberty Square wider (2x) to allow enough room for additional guests to view the parade(s) (more curb) and allow for guests to pass as well, during the parade.

I'd be in car #1 (of course) with my buddy, gcurling.
Sorry Jeff. You’ve either got to change partners or change cars. This is from a recent Gcurling post (regarding Adventureland’s hours):
Well doesn't this just stink. I really hate to see this happen, I did not expect anything quite like this. Now I'm really fearful that we'll see more of this type of thing. What scares me the most is that even if economic conditions find their stride again, these changes may become permanent. I'm not making any more excuses for WDW now, it's official - I'm in Car #2 (which I defined as "The Magic has faded a bit, but I am optimistic that it will make a full return.) I continue to hold optimism, but things like these have me worried. Landbaron knows how I feel. Sorry Captain, Duck, Scoop... hope I'm back soon.
You could always try #2. Or stick with the Scoop, Duck and The Captain/Pirate (or any one else he chooses to be ;) )!! But the good Gcurling is heading towards my car!!!

Good, I get to drive, then...
I'm in the purple (Magenta) car
with Minnie on the Antenna,
Fantasmic on the front bumper,
Bambi on the dashboard showing the way,
and Pooh in the back window looking out for Hefalumps.
We'll be there to celebrate Tasha's birthday (8) in 2 weeks and again in 4 weeks (before and after celebrations)
Our 2nd trip will sneak preview the upcoming WD celebration and we will pick up our special pins and lanyards.

Shove over gcurling, I'm riding in car #2 now. I am confused about the direction in which Disney is headed. Cutting costs is one thing but cutting costs and at the same time risking billions on cable distribution is confusing at best...
Sigh...

Well doesn't this just stink. I really hate to see this happen (Adventureland opening late), I did not expect anything quite like this. Now I'm really fearful that we'll see more of this type of thing.
Well, considering that this rumour has NOT panned out and Disney has said otherwise, and this unrealized rumor was the basis of Gcurling jump to car #2, I imagine he will return to car #1, now.
But I'm still driving, and Tasha is sitting shotgun!!!

First of all, I'm in car number 2. At an individual level, I am frustrated with a lot of what I see. I am frustrated that rides now close with nothing re-opened in its place. I am frustrated that quality rides - Timekeeper, CoP, etc. - seem to be disappearing. I am frustrated with the quality of what is being put in now - from the abomination of the JII re-do to Alladin's Magic Carpets.

All that said, as the father of a 10 year old and twins who are 7, Disney still is magic. If my kids had their way, we would never go anywhere but DisneyWorld. In the end, that is all that matters - as a father, my frustrations mean little in the face of their joy. They still see the place as magical, as do so many their age. Their eyes light up as we walk through the tunnel under the railroad and emerge on Main Street. Maybe their attitude will change over time, but for now, the magic is there for them, and that is really all I can ask for.

For me the magic is as strong as ever.......but different.

First WDW trip I was 12.......I enjoyed it the way a child enjoys it.

Flash forward 15 years as I marry a Disney fan who lets me make ALL the wedding decisions as long as we go to WDW on our honeymoon. Now, I enjoy WDW as an adult-with-the-heart-of-a-child.
Jan 2002, we are going with the 2 kids. I'll be enjoying WDW as a parent (and still as an adult-with-the heart-of-a-child).

My perception of WDW (and Disney as a whole company) keeps changing as my life evolves.

I can't wait to take the grandkids!!

Bryn :
I can't wait to take the grandkids!!
That is my wish as well. I want to stroll through WDW with my grandkids. And have them enjoy all the magic I have enjoyed throughout my life there. Not exactly the same rides or décor (all things change after all), but the essence of, for lack of a better word, magic. Those high 'Disney Standards' we spend so much time talking about here.

Sadly, I don't share your optimism. Instead I think we'll stroll down the lanes in Disney and I will hear myself trying to convey the way it used to be, "back in the day". Not what ride went where, but how the Disney Company used to go that extra step to insure that the guest had the most 'magical' experience ever. How they always exceeded expectations. How they paid attention to the most miniscule details, not in some synergistic effort, but because they cared about quality.

And those grandkids of mine will patiently listen, while secretly counting the seconds until I finally shut up and drive them to Universal!!

I voted car pool #2. I do believe Disney lost some of it's magic when they took out Horizons, World Of Motion, and the old Figment ride (what were they thinking?). Please bring back those wonderful rides!! I know Walt would have kept those rides. Epcot hasn't been the same since. One of my favorite memories was taking my family to the Jolly Holidays Christmas Dinner show every year. It's now gone. :( That was going to be our family tradition every year. Oh well... The parades and Fantasmic keeps me coming back.

I love Disney. I just want to see more of the magic to come back.

King Triton:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter