Children's fanny pack or backpack

I had my 6 and 8 year old girls wear cinch sacks (very lightweight bags) to hold their snack and water bottle at Disneyland last year, and guess who ended up holding all their stuff by the end of day one? (That would be me)

Good idea in theory, but the kids don't do well with keeping up with their stuff so it's just easier for me to hold it. We nixed them on day 2 and I'm planning on carrying absolute necessities on my one backpack that I'll carry when we return to Disney World this summer

We bring two of these for 4 people and alternate carrying. It has 2 water bottle slots on each backpack, therefore we each have one. They also have extremely comfortable shoulder straps. I love cinch sacks for quick things, but for long day trips, they're not the best in my opinion because there are not usually separate spots for everything. and the thin straps start to get irritating. And to get your water bottle out you often have to take the backpack off (I like when you can access something while it's on your person :)

I do have a 12 year old and 9 year old, so they can carry the bags with more responsibility than they could when they were younger.

I won't even bring a purse. everything goes in here :)
https://www.rei.com/product/846577/osprey-daylite-daypack

Last edited:
This thread is great... this is our first trip without a stroller and I am realizing that the kids are going to have to wear a small bag or else my back is going to break!! and I feel much less guilty about the 12 year olds carrying their own things. I probably won't have the 7 year old carry anything although she is a fashionista and might want to. I still am going to miss the stroller for putting all our stuff in... As you might realize I suck at packing light!! :rotfl:
That first trip without a stroller is an eye opening experience! good luck :)

We bring two of these for 4 people and alternate carrying. It has 2 water bottle slots on each backpack, therefore we each have one. They also have extremely comfortable shoulder straps. I love cinch sacks for quick things, but for long day trips, they're not the best in my opinion because there are not usually separate spots for everything. and the thin straps start to get irritating. And to get your water bottle out you often have to take the backpack off (I like when you can access something while it's on your person :)

I do have a 12 year old and 9 year old, so they can carry the bags with more responsibility than they could when they were younger.

I won't even bring a purse. everything goes in here :)
https://www.rei.com/product/846577/osprey-daylite-daypack

That bag looks super comfortable. If my husband wasn't coming along, I would definitely get that one!

Last edited:
We all carried Camelbacks on our last (and first) trip. Me and DH had bigger ones, with his being a backpack size. The kids all had kiddie sized ones with small pouches for just enough snacks for the day. They were 5 & 6 last trip, this time will be 8 & 9 and we plan to do the same thing. We drink water like its going out of style, so stopping every few minutes was a no go for us. Lol

My 9 and 7 year old have hiking fanny packs and carry their own water, snacks and one has an Epi pen. We haven't been to Disney with them yet, but they did a week trip to San Diego with them. They never complained about it. They have no idea fanny packs aren't cool yet...

My husband and son will have back packs and the girls (myself included) will all have fanny packs. Mine will be the biggest as I have the most to carry but everyone will carry their own drinks and stuff. I buy water bottle holders with a clip so they can hang on belt loops. Personal fans hang around the neck. We will all have empty hands all day. I even have umbrella hats because I seriously hate carrying stuff in my hands. I'm sure people will eventually get tired of the gear, like the backpacks, we are getting the double stroller even though we have one child, just for the extra room

We will be doing Camelbaks's as well. We are going in July and my kids are from Alaska so they have a hard time with the heat. They will need to be drinking water constantly. We are even getting a Mini Mule for my then 3 yr old. We can then empty the pack while standing in line and refill in between rides.

We don't ask our kids to carry anything. Walking around Disney and doing everything is tiring enough, and we tend to have fighting and/or meltdowns when they get too tired. Everyone is happier if we work to make sure they don't get overly tired---whether it's scheduling enough down time or being aware of how much they've been walking, etc. And we've realized that water parks/pools are definitely *not* resting.

Bruce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter