• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children under 5 Covid vaccination

Gzub1003

Mouseketeer
Trying to figure out if anyone has heard anything about under 5 being fully vaccinated now that they can. I would assume if they are they will go by the same pre testing as the rest of us and won’t need the PCR test 3 days before and the test at the port.

My son got his first Moderna shot yesterday and will be fully vaxxed for our August cruise. I am planning on just getting the two-day before antigen test for him, but will call Safe Passage once our window opens up to confirm he doesn't need the additional testing.

Is this for cruise or park?
The parks do not require vaccine or testing. Disney Cruise Line current requires all individuals ages 5+ to be fully vaccinated plus a pre-embarkation antigen test. Currently, unvaccinated children <5 yrs old must do 2 pre-cruise tests, a PCR 3 days prior and an antigen test at embarkation.

I called Safe Passage for my cruise in August for DS4. The individual I talked to said as long as they were considered fully vaccinated for Disney (2 weeks prior to sail date) they would be treated as a fully vaccinated individual and just need the antigen testing.

Got it, that's a lot, hoping you all that are working with that get everything you need and enjoy your trip!

My son got his first Moderna shot yesterday and will be fully vaxxed for our August cruise. I am planning on just getting the two-day before antigen test for him, but will call Safe Passage once our window opens up to confirm he doesn't need the additional testing.

Did he have any side effects? My kid is booked for her first Moderna shot next week (so she will be fully vaxxed for our late October trip) but I was hoping to do Pfizer cause it’s lower dose and I’m worried about side effects (like fever, tiredness, pain) but I can’t find anywhere around me that does Pfizer for 2 year olds currently and to do Pfizer I have less than 2 weeks to get first shot to get them all in time. So I think we are just going to go with Moderna since I have an appointment for it already

Did he have any side effects? My kid is booked for her first Moderna shot next week (so she will be fully vaxxed for our late October trip) but I was hoping to do Pfizer cause it’s lower dose and I’m worried about side effects (like fever, tiredness, pain) but I can’t find anywhere around me that does Pfizer for 2 year olds currently and to do Pfizer I have less than 2 weeks to get first shot to get them all in time. So I think we are just going to go with Moderna since I have an appointment for it already
Our daughter got Moderna and had no side effects from the first shot.

No side effects from the first shot other than a longer nap than usual.

I am in the same boat, my kids were both vaccinated in the Moderna trial. I sent an email to safe passage to see if the rapid antigen test would suffice, so we will see how they respond. Anybody with experience doing this in practice yet? We sail in 10 days so just wanting to be sure I get everything prepared for pre-testing well ahead of time.

For those asking - one of my kiddos had a small rash at injection site on leg for second dose, otherwise neither of them had any symptoms. Tolerated it much better than my wife or I did!!

Our 4 yo got Moderna today, no issues. If you get Pfizer, it will be 3.5 months before fully vaxxed ( 2 weeks after last shot) so may be cutting it close. Honestly, may not make a difference with new variants but helps to protect against severe disease. By the way, our family got Covid 3 weeks ago, likely BA 4 or 5. Little guy had minimal symptoms only moderate symptoms for adults. Best to be cautious due to high contagiousness. Good luck with everything.

Our 4 yo got Moderna today, no issues. If you get Pfizer, it will be 3.5 months before fully vaxxed ( 2 weeks after last shot) so may be cutting it close. Honestly, may not make a difference with new variants but helps to protect against severe disease. By the way, our family got Covid 3 weeks ago, likely BA 4 or 5. Little guy had minimal symptoms only moderate symptoms for adults. Best to be cautious due to high contagiousness. Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the info. My almost 3 yr. Old DD got her first shot of Moderna last week. She did not have any side effects with the first shot. I’m nervous about the second shot cause she has her 3 yr. Old check up (where I’m sure she will get shots) and then 2 days later her second Moderna shot. I’m worried about that but we didn’t get to pick our day for second shot since we went through the local health department to get it.

But, she will be fully vaxxed before our cruise in October so I’m hoping that means she can test 2 days before with me. I’m hoping to avoid the fear of getting to port, seeing the ship, having an excited 3 year old, and then having her test positive and we can’t get on and her being upset and not understanding why. As silly as that is, that’s one of my biggest fears with booking the cruise with testing (at the time) being day of cruise.

I am in the same boat, my kids were both vaccinated in the Moderna trial. I sent an email to safe passage to see if the rapid antigen test would suffice, so we will see how they respond. Anybody with experience doing this in practice yet? We sail in 10 days so just wanting to be sure I get everything prepared for pre-testing well ahead of time.

For those asking - one of my kiddos had a small rash at injection site on leg for second dose, otherwise neither of them had any symptoms. Tolerated it much better than my wife or I did!!

Can you report back if you get a response or what happens when your child is on the ship (like if they are treated as fully vaxxed so don’t need masks in kids club or not or if longer cruise, if they get tested on last day). Your kids have to be one of the first under 5’s fully vaxxed before cruise

Well. So far not good news. I got an email today from Safe Passage that both my under 5 kiddos vaccine proofs were rejected because "Disney only accepts Pfizer vaccine in children aged 5-11." With no acknowledgement that neither of my children are aged 5-11 (both <5 years) and that Moderna is in fact approved for those <5 years of age. I uploaded their CDC vaccine cards just like mine, which was approved. I called them and there is a long wait time, so just waiting for a 'call back' and I will update.

How they can be this misinformed/behind regarding recent developments is surprising to me.

Well. So far not good news. I got an email today from Safe Passage that both my under 5 kiddos vaccine proofs were rejected because "Disney only accepts Pfizer vaccine in children aged 5-11." With no acknowledgement that neither of my children are aged 5-11 (both <5 years) and that Moderna is in fact approved for those <5 years of age. I uploaded their CDC vaccine cards just like mine, which was approved. I called them and there is a long wait time, so just waiting for a 'call back' and I will update.

How they can be this misinformed/behind regarding recent developments is surprising to me.

That's absurd! Out of curiosity, what date did you upload the docs? Because, not only did they approve both Moderna and Pfizer for the little guys but, the next week, they approved moderna for 5-18, too. So, both vaccines should be allowed for ages 6 months+ as of 6/24/22. It's been long enough that they should have their acts together here.

My mad emoji is for your update, not at you personally. Thank you for the update. I hope they figure this out soon! But it's just par for the course considering what this age groups has gone through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter