Chiggers

Judyfun

Mouseketeer
I love the Fort and have over 3 weeks of trips already planned for this year. But I get red welt like bumps all over my legs and arms.

I am thinking it might be Chiggers and I am allergy to them. What can i put around the camp site that will not hurt wild life but might stop me from getting bit?

I love the Fort and have over 3 weeks of trips already planned for this year. But I get red welt like bumps all over my legs and arms.

I am thinking it might be Chiggers and I am allergy to them. What can i put around the camp site that will not hurt wild life but might stop me from getting bit?

Sounds more like 'no see ums' to me. They are more likely to bite on exposed flesh. Chiggers seem to like less exposed areas to settle - behind knees, under clothing, etc. Have never had chigger bites at FW, but I also don't tend to go off paths in wooded areas.

When we were there in Dec. we were given bug bite preventive wipes on check in - didn't need them as we've never had any issues, but would think something like that would be a good preventive for you.
Some people seem to be bothered more than others. I have been bitten by 'no see ums' at other places and they do make red specks on legs/arms.

Not sure if there's anything that can done otherwise, as spraying is not allowed (other than personal preventive on your person).

Deep Woods Off, the dry formula is fine. Here in MS they primarily love the pine straw, same as at the Fort. Lots of pine trees. Usually this does the trick to keep them off. As far as anything around your site, well, chances are they are already on the site in the pine straw, leaves, etc so best bet is the spray.

Use a good repellant and spray it well on your shoes, socks and any exposed flesh. DH always seems to get bit on his legs, ending up with itchy bumps amd welts. They don't seem to bother me at all. Be aware the sandy areas at the marina also seem to harbor some kind of biting little stinkers (sand fleas?).

We have never been bothered by the chiggers. I am concerned if they are around all year or certain times of the year. We normally go in Jan/ Feb & have been in April. We were bothered with the flies in April. We have two dogs & do walk them where the railroad tracks are & the doggy park. Do they bite animals?

We live in Florida and are very familiar with chiggers, so know for 100% sure what they are.

In November, we could barely use our site due to chiggers. Even sitting at the picnic table would result in bites all over our legs. This is the first time we've had a problem with them there but they are super thick and were eating us alive. A light coating of DEET is not even effective in deterring them. You have to pretty much soak yourself in it to keep them away. For two weeks, we ended up just eating inside our camper instead of using the picnic table.

The ideal solution is to spray the ground at our site with insecticide, but since it's not my ground to spray I've been hesitant about that. Permethrin spray is what we use at home because it's safe for children and animals once it's dry, but will kill chiggers. Unfortunately, you still need to use DEET on your person because the woods around you are not sprayed and the spray on your site will only slow them down. More will eventually appear after the initial ones are dead.

Last edited:
Avon Skin-So-Soft is an effective bug repellant and it makes you smell good also :-)

Never was effective for us. We use lye soap from a Smoky Mtn. craft shop - Old Mill - just cream it on skin with a little water - works nice for us. Doesn't have to be washed off like reg. soap - softens skin, very light generic fragrance - can barely smell it. Stops Chiggers (red bugs) from wanting to crawl on skin. Dh is very allergic to them and it keeps them off him - we work outside in our yard a lot.

Ah... Avon’s Skin-so-Slimey. It works because it tricks other insects into thinking you are another giant mucus secreting insect, so they don’t bite their own kind

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter