Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

Except worse. Last year at least they got to play in the Division tie and then the wildcard. Neither is going to happen this year.
Nah. Those two last games last year were so much worse. They were a one-two punch to the gut. We have a few days to come to terms with the Cubs failure this year.

Been recovering the last few days. Not sure what next year holds. On the radio, Theo was frustrated with what could have been, mentioned the 100+ run differential (for now, anyway) and the dichotomy between that and our actual wins. He said he thinks there’s never been a modern era team to miss the playoffs with that differential.

Then he said that he’s going all out for a winner next year. This surprised me. I’ve read more than a few times that his frustration with Boston was that he believed a bridge year (or more) was needed to maintain long term competitiveness (that is, pseudo-rebuild) and that ownership didn’t agree. Here, he is taking the other side, which may mean we are unbridgeable. Gotta go hard with several big pieces while we have them still.

Really seems Joe may be done; hard to win it all in year one of a new manager. Phil Jackson did it with the Bulls, right.

Some bright spots: Heyward, Darvish (*if* he does not opt out), Hendricks, Caratini, Castellanos (?), Contreras, Rizzo, Hoerner, Wick, Wieck, I’m sure I’m missing some more. Bryant will be back. Some tradeable pieces. Maybe Kimbrel gets right next year.

Which was your favorite championship, 2016 or 2020? I think I can imagine it.

Interesting lineup for tonight. All the starters are sitting down. Hope the benchwarmers can win this one and show Joe how it is done.

For WGN's last Cubs broadcast after 72 years, they are showing all sorts of WGN clips of old games.

Last edited:
I'm glad they got a win for WGN last night. Eight runs was a whole lot of runs for a change.

Thanks, Dan. When we're watching on Extra Innings, we don't get anything other than the game. I remember my mom turning on the game in the afternoon to watch or listen while she was working around the house. She and my dad were big Cubs fans.
I used to come home from school and turn on the game for the last few innings.

I’m not too sad about WGN. They had a good thing and messed it up. When I originally moved to Wisconsin I could still get all the games on cable. Then, they were gone and replaced with old re-runs that were the non-baseball staple of WGN TV. I’m not sure if WGN made a business decision or MLB baseball made them stop, but that’s when my love affair with WGN TV stopped. WGN Radio’s business decision to stop broadcasting was much harder on me. WGN *was* the Cubs. I still have to mentally switch to The Score. The fact that WGN now broadcasts Sox games makes it worse.

... and now Joe Maddon is gone. I am very sad :(. Crappy end to a crappy season.

I am so sad, as well. I know he has his critics, but I will really miss him and am wishing him the very best. :sad1: Thanks for all you've brought to Chicago and to the Cubs, Joe!

Current names on the list include Will Venable, David Ross, Mark Loretta and Joe Girardi. Who's on your wish list.

And even though they were the Brewers, it was kind of sad to see the Nats beat them last night.

Current names on the list include Will Venable, David Ross, Mark Loretta and Joe Girardi. Who's on your wish list.

And even though they were the Brewers, it was kind of sad to see the Nats beat them last night.

I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi. I think some of our players need a swift kick in the pants and Girardi would definitely do that. I just don't think it's going to happen.

If I had to guess, it won't be Ross (too buddy buddy with a lot of the players) or Girardi (doesn't believe in sabermetrics).

I'm for Loretta or Girardi. I don't know enough about Venable and how he works with players and Rossy doesn't have any experience.

I was definitely sad to see the Brewers lose, but I am a big Hader hater so I was also glad that he got the L. The Nats still have the stink of Dusty on them, so I won't root for them. The Dodgers choke. I still can't forgive the Braves for the 90's ... I hated them so much then. So, I guess it's the Cards (*shudder*) for the NL. As for the AL, I am rooting for the Twinkies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter